Bobby Knuckles has a better jab than Usman

BluntForceTrama

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
And I had to disagree. I like Whitaker's don't get me wrong. When compared to Marty's though I don't think much of it

that's how the discussion went the other night

A recent phenomenon for Usman He didn't have it before TW. Turns out he has a gift A picture perfect jab that's deceptive and powerful. there's a reason he has so much success with the southpaw jab

It's because you can't see it coming

'Youre the champ because of that jab'

And I had to disagree. I like Whitaker's don't get me wrong. When compared to Marty's though I don't think much of it

A recent phenomenon for Usman He didn't have it before TW. Turns out he has a gift A picture perfect jab that's deceptive and powerful. there's a reason he has so much success with the southpaw jab

Both has good jabs. I'd pick the longer guy with longer reach with better wrestling.

Mate, if you are running off a pure boxing stance then yeah, from a boxing perspective Usmans is technically better.

But if you are running from an actual striking perspective, then you would see that Whittakers is way, way better. Its more versatile, he has used it against much better strikers as well. His technique is more like a Hapkido jab, the way he shoots it from down at his hip, compared to Usmans which is a more standard jab.

Usmans jab is very good, and I have been highly impressed with it in his latest fights. But Rob has fought much better strikers, and has proven his jab far more than Usman. The speed of it is better, the versatility is better, and the way he uses it to set up other strikes is also better.

Tell me when Usman jabs up Kelvin or Cannonier.

Mate, if you are running off a pure boxing stance then yeah, from a boxing perspective Usmans is technically better.

But if you are running from an actual striking perspective, then you would see that Whittakers is way, way better. Its more versatile, he has used it against much better strikers as well. His technique is more like a Hapkido jab, the way he shoots it from down at his hip, compared to Usmans which is a more standard jab.

Usmans jab is very good, and I have been highly impressed with it in his latest fights. But Rob has fought much better strikers, and has proven his jab far more than Usman. The speed of it is better, the versatility is better, and the way he uses it to set up other strikes is also better.

Tell me when Usman jabs up Kelvin or Cannonier.
Whitaker's might set up other punches but
Usmans sets up reigns
I would also say deception trumps speed although I think that saying knuckles is faster than Usman is totally arguable as well

do you think Whitaker beats Usman?

Last edited:
Usman is still very stiff and primarily an arm puncher at this stage. Obviously he is improving and has power but he still has quite a way to go IMHO

Usman’s jabs are more powerful but he’ll have a harder time landing them on Whittaker than Whittaker will have landing his jabs against Usman. It’s the way Whittaker throws his strikes. Usman’s jabs are harder to land against someone who will invade your boundary right in the middle. Watch Whittaker’s striking on youtube and tell me if there’s room for Usman to land his jabs.

Last edited:
Back