Bradley Nowell should be as known as Kurt Cobang. Sublime > Nirvana

Dunno if either of them were that influential really. Well Nirvana probably were, but most of the stuff they influenced like Bush, Creed, Niceklback, Puddle of Mudd etc wasn't very good.

Radiohead is probably the most influential band of the 90's in terms of impacting what followed.
Radiohead is cool, but ska turned into wussie rock and grew like a sad wildfire until it killed alternative and rock. So for better or worse I don’t think Radiohead spawned much future music, even if that would have been better.

Radiohead is cool, but ska turned into wussie rock and grew like a sad wildfire until it killed alternative and rock. So for better or worse I don’t think Radiohead spawned much future music, even if that would have been better.

Disagree with you there dude, Coldplay have been trying to remake OK Computer for about 20 years now.

I like both bands, but I never really considered them to be all that comparable. I grew up in the 90's (graduated HS in 98) and played covers of both in garage bands as I play drums and guitar. Nirvana was lumped in with the Seattle scene and Sublime was a California band with their own sound.

I guess you could lump them together as genres of rock music, but it would be like comparing Jethro Tull to Metalica, when Jethro Tull beat them for best Metal song at the Grammy's. I always liked Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden better than Nirvana though when in came to the grunge stuff.

I like both bands, but I never really considered them to be all that comparable. I grew up in the 90's (graduated HS in 98) and played covers of both in garage bands as I play drums and guitar. Nirvana was lumped in with the Seattle scene and Sublime was a California band with their own sound.

I guess you could lump them together as genres of rock music, but it would be like comparing Jethro Tull to Metalica, when Jethro Tull beat them for best Metal song at the Grammy's. I always liked Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden better than Nirvana though when in came to the grunge stuff.
Well yeah they were different kinds of people and sang about different stuff lol.. But the point is sublime was very influential on the entire California scene and music in general, and more people should know the name of the singer that died. He was up there.

bands used to just play who they were. They weren’t playing to a fkn “genre.”

There. It’s a guy playing the Acoustic guitar and singing. Cobain did that a lot, too. Does his voice sound different? Is he saying different things? Yes. He’s a different person lol

Sublime is insanely popular where I am from. Everybody listens to them or knows of them. Bradley even mentions my hometowns name in 2 Joints and there is a fairly "famous" house where supposedly they played a small show. I think both bands are important for there owns reasons and like them both and it's cool if you like Sublime is better. But both dudes are dead and have left behind a legendary discography.

Everyone knows and loves sublime.. atleast where I grew up.

At one point in my life i really liked both bands. It's not an argument or a "whos better than who" type thing. Music is art there's no way to compare them as one being better than the other.

Still love sublime....never cared for nirvana

Robbin' The Hood is their best album. Fucking love it!

Did a lot of acid in the 90s listening to this album.

So that's Opie Ortiz on the cover there.. the guy that drew the sun logo on 40 oz and did Brad's back tattoo and bunch of other art for the band. (and part of the Long Beach Dub All Stars)

My wife and I drove up to his house in Long Beach last summer and picked up an original print of the 40 oz album cover on canvas. We hung out with him for about an hour and talked about Sublime and what not.

My wife has the art (signed by Opie) hanging in our living room along with a pic of them standing together. She's been a huge Sublime fan since she was a teenager.

So that's Opie Ortiz on the cover there.. the guy that drew the sun logo on 40 oz and did Brad's back tattoo and bunch of other art for the band. (and part of the Long Beach Dub All Stars)

My wife and I drove up to his house in Long Beach last summer and picked up an original print of the 40 oz album cover on canvas. We hung out with him for about an hour and talked about Sublime and what not.

My wife has the art (signed by Opie) hanging in our living room along with a pic of them standing together. She's been a huge Sublime fan since she was a teenager.

That's awesome, bro!

I hate speaking about Sublime because of how they’ve become synonymous with the weed culture. They’re so much more than that. The band, and Brad in particular, were ridiculously talented. I owe a musical career in part do to the influence of Brad. Unfortunately, long after his death, they became wildly popular. I feel as if something special has been tainted. Sorry to ramble...

Kurt is no Bradley.

Sublime is insanely popular where I am from. Everybody listens to them or knows of them. Bradley even mentions my hometowns name in 2 Joints and there is a fairly "famous" house where supposedly they played a small show. I think both bands are important for there owns reasons and like them both and it's cool if you like Sublime is better. But both dudes are dead and have left behind a legendary discography.

I don't remember him mentioning a town in 2 Joints.

They were huge up in Norcal too. Go to any karaoke bar even to this day and if the intro to Santeria comes on, you'll have everyone in the place singing in unison.

I don't remember him mentioning a town in 2 Joints.

They were huge up in Norcal too. Go to any karaoke bar even to this day and if the intro to Santeria comes on, you'll have everyone in the place singing in unison.
You're right, the song I was referring to was April 29, 1992.

Both great bands. Not sure why you'd have to pick one or the other.

No. Sublime was exactly as popular as they should have been.

Is cobang a typo or commentary on his death?

Back