Can BJ Penn be considered one of the hardest P4P hitters in MMA history?

With a lack of strong wrestlers in BW, his combination of TDD and power would be a nightmare for anyone in the division.
Given BJ never grew out his boxing game or dealt with kickers much or high paced fights well...Nope. Also I doubt he would look physically good at BW.

Being a twig works at 145. If he had the mental discipline to do so he could've been shredded at 145. He's never been shredded in his life.

This isn't a GOAT thread. Read the OP.
I agree, he was fat his whole career, a lot of guys were back in the day lol

Look at the TUF 1 cast, they're all 25 lbs. overweight lmao

I read somewhere that it was scientifically confirmed that BJ Penn had one of the fastest reaction times of any fighter

I mean you didn't have to be a scientist to figure that out but nice to know.

Yeah, take any such study with a big bag of salt. How many fighters do you think they tested for that study? If there was even an actual study, it's probably exttemely limited. It's like the Ngannou supposedly being the hardest hitter of all time. It's an impossible to prove claim.

Continuing to fight in his mid 30s was a terrible idea. He would've been fine at FW if it existed back in his prime.

No, he looked like a turtleman. Dropping down to 145 turned BJ Penn into a turtleman, and he would looked like a turtleman even if he did it in his prime.

Given BJ never grew out his boxing game or dealt with kickers much or high paced fights well...Nope. Also I doubt he would look physically good at BW.

He was never lean and he never cut a lot of weight. There are plenty of fighters who look awful after cutting and still perform well.
Yeah, take any such study with a big bag of salt. How many fighters do you think they tested for that study? If there was even an actual study, it's probably exttemely limited. It's like the Ngannou supposedly being the hardest hitter of all time. It's an impossible to prove claim.

Found the thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/gsp-suggests-prime-bj-maybe-the-natty-goat.4175399/

Not official or anything but is GSP thinks it's convincing who am I to say otherwise

He was never lean and he never cut a lot of weight. There are plenty of fighters who look awful after cutting and still perform well.
Look, he was shot when he dropped to 45, but he didn't look great physically there. I doubt another 10 lbs to cut is going to do him any wonders, especially when he was always plodding. Penn in his prime probably looks fine at FW, but BW is doubtful. As a striker, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep dropping weight classes and giving up the speed advantage.

No, he looked like a turtleman. Dropping down to 145 turned BJ Penn into a turtleman, and he would looked like a turtleman even if he did it in his prime.

Not sure what turtleman means but the dude had like 20% bodyfat at 145

632027894.0.jpg

He said he hated it but that's because he was old and out of shape and hated controlling his diet and weight cutting to begin with.

This is the same dude who willingly balloons to 191 in pure lard just to fight Lyoto Machida.

bpc7ukmAaVzrnvkSIU-5hF0pmZKmUqYTLFAvDxyo9mA.gif

Look, he was shot when he dropped to 45, but he didn't look great physically there. I doubt another 10 lbs to cut is going to do him any wonders, especially when he was always plodding. Penn in his prime probably looks fine at FW, but BW is doubtful. As a striker, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep dropping weight classes and giving up the speed advantage.

True. But I don't think prime BJ breaks through FW nowadays.

As long as he is Motivated, BJ is unstoppable at any weight class, including LW. Kabob would have had nothing on Motivated BJ Penn.

Found the thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/gsp-suggests-prime-bj-maybe-the-natty-goat.4175399/

Not official or anything but is GSP thinks it's convincing who am I to say otherwise

No doubt Penn was extremely impressive, and GSP was probably talking about his generation of MMA fighters. But of ANY fighter is something that's hard (impossible) to scientifically prove. In all combat sports of all generations there have been too many fighters to test and there have been a lot of seemingly super human prodigies. Like Roy Jones Jr. for example had ridiculous reflexes and I doubt he got tested by the same people who tested Penn.

Being a twig works at 145. If he had the mental discipline to do so he could've been shredded at 145. He's never been shredded in
True, but he could perhaps pack up more muscle, some 15lbs and be defined at 155. Khabib has never been shredded. But ofc I get your point.
Anyway, we're treating this matter as if we were creating a video game character. Never happened, never will.
He wasted it.

I'm saying BJ Penn looks like a turtle.

usa_today_12689301.0.jpg

475804_460s.jpg

Personally of Raphael, diet of Michelangelo.

I tend to think part of the problem BJ had even before decline was that he backed off using his BJJ. I'm guessing partly for fear or losing decisions and partly cardio but I think it made things a lot simpler for GSP and Edgar

Personally of Raphael, diet of Michelangelo.

I tend to think part of the problem BJ had even before decline was that he backed off using his BJJ. I'm guessing partly for fear or losing decisions and partly cardio but I think it made things a lot simpler for GSP and Edgar
Half of the reason GSP was successful is because he actually mixed things up

Seems like most guys just fall into always striking, Rockhold was another guy that got obsessed with striking when he was always a much better grappler

Back