Social Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court

And you want those to be arrestable offenses? Maybe one of those would survive a constitutional review. You're trying to fix a leaky boat with a hammer if you think policing is the way forward by and large.

Even assuming those laws survive, you arrest someone and then...what? They get out of jail even deeper in debt and with an additional hit to employers, but somehow those folks will find jobs and housing after?
In places where those laws are actually enforced I'd guarantee Homeless people wouldn't flock to those areas. They flock to areas they welcome them and in many cases incentive them.

You interjected with a ignorant attempt to paint Portland's municipal spending as a "strawmen" by highlighting the population of its metropolitan statistical area without realizing that MSA covers a landmass significantly larger than Connecticut, crosses into two states, spans seven counties, dozens of other municipalities, including sixteen other large cities, one of which is the state's capital, and of those fifteen other cities that lie in Oregon, these include the #3, #4, #5, #7, #10, #12, #13, #16, #19, and #20 most populous cities in Oregon. That's half of the state's top twenty most populated cities.

Because if you or your fellow dunce-in-arms @Limbo Pete could do simple math, you'd realize that, no, in your backpedaling attempt to spin the precise figure you quoted for this area by arbitrarily downsizing it to 2m, which is the figure for the urban MA, hoping everyone accepts this figure as an alternative to admitting your blatant goof, you'd realize that the sum of the internal city-limit populations from the other cities in this metropolitan area when subtracted from the Portland MA reduces the total to far below 2m, derp. You're still talking about a huge MSA that covers many cities. All of those cities have their own homeless, their own populations, their own budgets.

Or, more simply, since I have to teach halfwits like you how to think, you could look at the entire population of Multnomah County, which is the county that seats the entirety of Portland, and the population of that county in 2023 is 789K.
Multnomah_OR.jpg

If you're going to cite an MSA, please, have the good sense to know wtf it is you're citing. It's mind-boggling that you're trying to save face, here, instead of quitely slinking off, and hoping nobody notices how much of a fool you made of yourself in this exchange.
19117593.gif
Uh, Mick, "metro" means multiple things lol. When someone like me, for example, talks about "metro" Portland, it's a particular region governed by a specific governing body. Considering Metro -the organization- also provides money for homeless services within the actual city of Portland, maybe just un-twist your reactionary panties for a minute lmao

In places where those laws are actually enforced I'd guarantee Homeless people wouldn't flock to those areas. They flock to areas they welcome them and in many cases incentive them.
So again, your approach would do nothing to solve the problem and would in fact make it worse by constantly pushing the homeless population around and causing mismatches between shelter capacity and shelter needs. Genius.

So again, your approach would do nothing to solve the problem and would in fact make it worse by constantly pushing the homeless population around and causing mismatches between shelter capacity and shelter needs. Genius.
My approach would be to actually enforce preexisting laws that are put in place for a reason.... You only want to fuel the fire and enable homelessness... You're Helping Wiggums.

My approach would be to actually enforce preexisting laws that are put in place for a reason.... You only want to fuel the fire and enable homelessness... You're Helping Wiggums.
How does moving the homeless population reduce homelessness in society?

Uh, Mick, "metro" means multiple things lol. When someone like me, for example, talks about "metro" Portland, it's a particular region governed by a specific governing body. Considering Metro -the organization- also provides money for homeless services within the actual city of Portland, maybe just un-twist your reactionary panties for a minute lmao
His clash of Klans raid must of gone poorly. Poor guy is pretty fussy today

His clash of Klans raid must of gone poorly. Poor guy is pretty fussy today
"Hey Taco! As a fellow inhabitant, what are your thoughts on the Metro tax to pay for homeless services in Portland?"
"Would that be 'Metro' the regional elected body that provides services to the City of Portland and surrounding smaller cities/suburbs, or 'metro' the massively huge geographic designation that includes parts of Washington and other cities 80 miles away?
-A real imaginary conversation

You interjected with a ignorant attempt to paint Portland's municipal spending as a "strawmen" by highlighting the population of its metropolitan statistical area without realizing that MSA covers a landmass significantly larger than Connecticut, crosses into two states, spans seven counties, dozens of other municipalities, including sixteen other large cities, one of which is the state's capital, and of those fifteen other cities that lie in Oregon, these include the #3, #4, #5, #7, #10, #12, #13, #16, #19, and #20 most populous cities in Oregon. That's half of the state's top twenty most populated cities.

Because if you or your fellow dunce-in-arms @Limbo Pete could do simple math, you'd realize that, no, in your backpedaling attempt to spin the precise figure you quoted for this area by arbitrarily downsizing it to 2m, which is the figure for the urban MA, hoping everyone accepts this figure as an alternative to admitting your blatant goof, you'd realize that the sum of the internal city-limit populations from the other cities in this metropolitan area when subtracted from the Portland MA reduces the total to far below 2m, derp. You're still talking about a huge MSA that covers many cities. All of those cities have their own homeless, their own populations, their own budgets.

Or, more simply, since I have to teach halfwits like you how to think, you could look at the entire population of Multnomah County, which is the county that seats the entirety of Portland, and the population of that county in 2023 is 789K.
Multnomah_OR.jpg

If you're going to cite an MSA, please, have the good sense to know wtf it is you're citing. It's mind-boggling that you're trying to save face, here, instead of quitely slinking off, and hoping nobody notices how much of a fool you made of yourself in this exchange.
19117593.gif
You are literally the Brendan Schaub of the war room.

Combined populations of Multnomah, Washington, Yamhill, and clackamas county comes in just under 2 million. If you take the population of Vancouver Washington and ignore the rest of Clarke county you are easily over 2 million. This is the Portland metro area as described by the people who live, work, and pay taxes here.

To say that Portland has a population of 650,000 is wrong. Trying to include other cities hours away makes no sense.

Now I just drove from Vancouver where I live into Portland where I work, but I look forward to you chopping up another word salad for me telling me how things really are in the metropolis I’ve lived in for 20 years.

Last edited:
You are literally the Brendan Schaub of the war room.

Combined populations of Multnomah, Washington, Yamhill, and clackamas county comes in just under 2 million. If you take the population of Vancouver Washington and ignore the rest of Clarke county you are easily over 2 million. This is the Portland metro area as described by the people who live, work, and pay taxes here.
You mean the imaginary metro area you are trying to invent because you ate shit trying to cite the Portland MSA population count because you had no idea what it actually was?
To say that Portland has a population of 650,000 is wrong.
And yet it's not. Check census data. I was quoting the population within the city limits coinciding with the spending figure I referenced. You're the jackass attempting to apply a municipal budgetary expenditure to a sprawling MSA because you didn't like what the statistics indicated.
Trying to include other cities hours away makes no sense.

Now I just drove from Vancouver where I live into Portland where I work, but I look forward to you chopping up another word salad for me telling me how things really are in the metropolis I’ve lived in for 20 years.
I don't care where you live. You invoked a specific population figure:
2.5 million people in the Portland metro area.
That population figure incontrovertibly describes the Portland MSA:

Yet, even after you were enlightened to this, you attempted to dismiss the cities and overall area included in that MSA when you explicitly invoked the MSA by virtue of the population figure you cited:
Salem is 50 miles from portland. Longview is roughly the same. Albany is 75 miles away and corvallis is over 80. None of those are part of the Portland metro area

Source:
i fucking live here, dude.
They're right there in the goddamn Wiki.

Spare me these pitiful appeals to exert authority by virtue of living in Portland. Some dumbass in New York City could swear to the rest of us it's a poor city, it wouldn't make him right. In fact, it only makes your ignorance more embarrassing. And spare me the whining about "word salad". It doesn't matter how you verbally chop this. You chose to munch down on chicken shit, nothing's going to make it chicken salad.

And I'll just leave this here:
Metro serves 24 cities, including Portland, in Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington counties in Oregon, as well as unincorporated parts of those counties...

DistrictIncludes (as of 2020)2020 Population for 2011-21 districts[17]Current councilor[18]
1Boring, Damascus Fairview, Gresham, a portion of eastern Happy Valley, portions of East Portland, Troutdale, Wood Village255,353Ashton Simpson[19]
2Unincorporated parts of Clackamas County and Stafford, Dunthorpe, Gladstone, most of Happy Valley, Johnson City, Lake Oswego, Milwaukie, Oregon City, a portion of Southwest Portland, Rivergrove, and West Linn278,609Christine Lewis
3Most of Beaverton, some of West Slope and Raleigh Hills, and all of Bull Mountain, Durham, Garden Home–Whitford, King City, Metzger, Sherwood, Tigard, Tualatin and Wilsonville283,198Gerritt Rosenthal
4Northern Washington County, communities of Aloha, northwest portion of Beaverton, all of Bonny Slope, Cedar Hills, Cornelius, Forest Grove, and Hillsboro, most of Bethany and Cedar Mill, and some of Raleigh Hills and West Slope297,578Juan Carlos González
5All of N and NW Portland, portions of NE, SE S, and SW Portland (including downtown), Maywood Park, and parts of Washington County, including West Haven-Sylvan and small portions of Bethany and Cedar Mill278,302Mary Nolan
6Portions of S, SW, SE and NE Portland, Raleigh Hills, and West Slope278,727Duncan Hwang
Total1,671,767
<Grimes01>

Yes, like Gresham, Tigard, Beaverton, Hilsboro, etc lol
Those have to be counted if you want to reach a population total of 2.5m. Or even 2m+. Is there where that figure gets revised......again?

LMFAO. Holy shit. This is the gift that keeps on giving.

Those have to be counted if you want to reach a population total of 2.5m. Or even 2m+. Is there where that figure gets revised......again?

LMFAO. Holy shit. This is the gift that keeps on giving.
Mick I never gave you any figures lmao
Beaverton, Hilsboro, etc are suburbs dude lol just regular ol suburbs. They are right here lmao and they fall under Metro Portland. That's what any rational human would be referencing when talking about the Portland Metro area. And pertinent to this topic, Metro has a tax that supports homeless services in its regulatory area

Mick I never gave you any figures lmao
Beaverton, Hilsboro, etc are suburbs dude lol just regular ol suburbs. They are right here lmao and they fall under Metro Portland. That's what any rational human would be referencing when talking about the Portland Metro area. And pertinent to this topic, Metro has a tax that supports homeless services in its regulatory area
Concession accepted.

Back