Social Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court

4ocijh.jpg
"I NEVER REFERENCED METRO!"
"You did right here, you just didn't know what you were talking about."
"Victory is MINE!"

We already have laws against vagrancy.

Yes but , with the number of homeless continuing to go up, that law means nothing. Most officers don't even enforce it because of the mass numbers.

We need a massive concentration camp just for homeless people. It would be a solution that helps them get back to becoming a normal functioning member of society.

No fines, no criminal records since that would only prevent them from changing for the better.

It would take tax paying money, but our streets would be clean as fuck. It’s also more humanitarian than just leaving them on the streets.

Yes but , with the number of homeless continuing to go up, that law means nothing. Most officers don't even enforce it because of the mass numbers.
Non enforcement is arguably a large part of the problem.

I'm really not getting who is being helped by making it easier and more comfortable to be homeless.

"I NEVER REFERENCED METRO!"
"You did right here, you just didn't know what you were talking about."
"Victory is MINE!"
The best part is if either of you muppets had the good sense just to leave the thread the first time you were corrected you wouldn't have ran face first into a brick wall of wrongness half a dozen more times. We'll call it the sunk cost fantasticness. It's so sweet.
hooray-hump-ace-ventura-krleljxmn25b59b4.gif

The best part is if either of you muppets had the good sense just to leave the thread the first time you were corrected you wouldn't have ran face first into a brick wall of wrongness half a dozen more times. It's so sweet.
hooray-hump-ace-ventura-krleljxmn25b59b4.gif
Mick you literally, and I mean this with all sincerity, need to get your head checked lmao. You had no idea what you were talking about, and when I attempted to give you the bare minimum of education on how things work here, you went bananas lol.

Non enforcement is arguably a large part of the problem.

I'm really not getting who is being helped by making it easier and more comfortable to be homeless.

The fact is that homelessness will continue to go up. The middle class is struggling more than ever before. You just can't jail people for being homeless, that's ridiculous. Government services need to focus more on homelessness and mental illness . For them to continue to send billions to other countries and not address a growing issue in the US irresponsible.

LOL. God, the salt is the best. It really doesn't get any better than this.
anne-hathaway-speech.gif

The fact is that homelessness will continue to go up. The middle class is struggling more than ever before. You just can't jail people for being homeless, that's ridiculous. Government services need to focus more on homelessness and mental illness . For them to continue to send billions to other countries and not address a growing issue in the US irresponsible.

Aren't most homeless just fucked in the head though?

Affordable housing would probably do shit to save Fried Brain Mike whose grey matter can't function properly due to drug abuse.

Its a public health and safety concern. There has to be something in between doing nothing and buying every one a house on taxpayer money.

I guess I fail to see the point of fining them. I have a feeling that the fines will go unpaid and then the next step would probably be jail time. Jailing homeless people seems like an expensive option. It seems like they should already have options for the behavior described in the article. If they are leaving trash everywhere then fine them for littering. If they are doing drugs or shit like that then that's illegal too.

Kinda like laws against being drunk in public. If someone is just drunk and not bothering anyone then I don't see the need for an arrest. If the drunk person does something stupid like pissing on the sidewalk or harassing someone then there's already laws that can be used to arrest them.

Public defecation actually came up. Basically, one of SCOTUS asked if the government can criminalize basic functions of life such as breathing, defecating, or sleeping.

LMFAO. It's hard to hear you with that dick shoved so far down your throat.

This has been the most glorious thread. A glorious, glorious, glorious thread.
Whose dick is shoved down his throat?

Its a public health and safety concern. There has to be something in between doing nothing and buying every one a house on taxpayer money.

That's what the government needs to do more or give a damn. I feel for people who don't want tents in their communities. I live in AZ and we have a big homeless issues. Look up "tent city" so I get it.

Where the heck are they supposed to do? Their homeless. I would feel like crap to tell someone they can't sleep OUTSIDE. We really trying to take that away and jail or fine them? It's crazy .

Obviously these laws will not be evenly applied. They will be targetted on homeless drug addicts and even then, specifically on the ones who cause problems.

Much like the new laws that charge the parents of kids who commit shooters will not be used to target the parents of gang members but only the parents of school shooters.

Or how the law Trump just got done for won't be used on literally anyone else.

Targetted, unfair laws are the norm now. How about one that helps out regular people for once?

If you are referring to the current Storm Daniela hush money case then that gets prosecuted regularly.

Aren't most homeless just fucked in the head though?

Affordable housing would probably do shit to save Fried Brain Mike whose grey matter can't function properly due to drug abuse.

Yes. But it doesn't change that we can't have humans just homeless in the streets. It's going to cost billions to put a dent in homelessness. You would need to build mental facilities for those people . The government knows this, theirs not a return financially for them ,so they don't want to do anything.

Back