Cannonier, UFC main event fighter - "I'm broke"

If 95% of the fighters can't make a living out of it you should question yourself if mma fighting is really a profession.

use the popularity you hopefully gained from fighting to form businesses and make connections.
this aint a 9-5 you do for 30 years.

still true though

The guy has made over $1million in the last 5 years, lets say after tax, training costs, management/gym fees etc, that he has made $500k.

$100k a year is pretty decent money to live on in Dallas.

I suspect it's probably more than that though, with sponsorship and other deals outside of the UFC.

If he is broke it is because he is not wisely using his money.

I agree that some fighters are underpaid, but I'm not crying for someone who has made over a million bucks in the last 5 years.

He's been in the UFC for over 6 years and there's no way he's keeping close to 50%. He also has a wife and three kids. It's very easy to see how he could be strapped financially.

The UFC boasts about being the best organization in the world with large revenue and yet they have their top fighters struggling with legitimate financial issues.

It's a disgrace.

He made $75k last October
140k sep 2019
108k may 2019

now that’s not professional athlete money, but he shouldn’t be broke making over 100k a year salary
I mean, it's not as simple as that. That comes out to a salary of 160k per year. However, he didn't work at all for the first 8 months of this year, so he would be living off of the last couple year's salaries for the first 2/3rds of this year.

Also, your normal company gives a lot of benefits not included in the salary that he has to pay for out of his salary. For instance, he has to pay his own gym dues, when you go for a training for your job the company will pay for the training if it is related to your work. That is a couple thousand a year. He might have to pay for health insurance, you would normally get that from your workplace as well. Now maybe his wife has healthcare coverage and she covers him, I don't know, but that's another possible expense, and he has 3 kids so he would have to pay for family coverage instead of individual. And of course, it was his choice to have 3 kids, but the cost of having 3 children, especially if he's the only income in the household, adds up pretty quick.

Also, prior to 2019 he wasn't making 160k a year, so he might have owed people money that he borrowed while he was on the come up. So some of his salary may not have gone to rectify his past. And finally, he's not a professional financial analyst. He's an athlete, and athletes aren't famous for their money management skills. Even if he didn't do egregious things that we might think of as excessive splurging, he lost money doing things people normally do, like if he lost 1k on the stock market because he's not a financial genius, or he lost a couple hundred sports betting, it adds up. So is some of it probably his fault? Probably yes. But he's also ranked very highly in the division for a guy who is still one bad stock purchase away from having to borrow against his future earnings.

Imagine getting paid in a huge lump sum a couple of times a year... and if you get injured you're fucked

What would fighter pay work out to be if they fought 30 times per year?

And pay as a proportion of revenue is irrelevant, UFC doesn’t have the profit margins to pay those numbers, they would be bankrupt within a year if they tried to do so

We know as a fact from court proceedings that the UFC has paid an average of 18% of revenue to fighters over the last near decade. That includes every single penny - all bonuses, PPV points, the insurance plan, even the Performance Institute is included in the 18%.

These guys are literally being paid pennies on the dollar for brain damage so that people who are individually worth hundreds of millions each can use the UFC as a piggy bank.

It is absurd what a bad deal these guys have. You are just hearing about it now.

Nobody is forcing to him to fight for the UFC. Go back to his day job or sign with another promotion when your contract his up. You act like they’re slaves.

He made $75,000 in his last fight against Whittaker. That’s more than a lot of people make in a year.

So After a bit of Searching his reported pay outs were 70k+70k win bonus against hermansson, with 50k performance bonus and 5k sponsoship incentive for 195k reported there. 90k to show in a losing Effort to WHittaker, 5k for 95k sponsorship incentive. And reported to be making 90k to show again here against kelvin, with 90k to win and 5 incentive for 185k. Don't see him getting a performance bonus on this one so probably won't be anymore than that. If he does get one it'll be 235k. So for his last 3 appearances he's made a reported 475k. He's only fought 3 times in 2 years(the 3 fights I mentioned). If he had been more active the numbers would look better annually. But on these numbers he's making just shy of a quarter million a year average the last 2 years before taxes and costs while only fighting 3 times across those 24 months.

These are all made up numbers.

We have absolutely no idea what he was paid to fight Whittaker, because there is no commission in Abu Dhabi and they do not release fighter purse. You are reading it off a website that is making it up, and you will find a disclaimer that says as much on the page (don't take my word for it, go look it up)

The same is true for his fight in Denmark against Hermansson.

I didn't write this just to let others know this is misinformation, but its important to see why lack of transparency is so bad. Formally, NSAC (Nevada) released fighter pay, but that has since been changed. So long as this stuff is in the dark, the fighters are at further disadvantage.

140k sep 2019
108k may 2019

now that’s not professional athlete money, but he shouldn’t be broke making over 100k a year salary

I agree with this post for sure but he should be making double his salary minimum. Training cost money too. UFC should at the very least pay their top 50% fighters 50k a year to stay afloat and pay training expenses.

Cannonier has had several fights and is a top 5 fighter for his division. He deserves to make a lot of money.

The UFC could fix this by downsizing and consolidating cards into a true ultimate fighting championship. Paying more to everyone and putting a stop to random nobody cards

140k sep 2019
108k may 2019

What is the source of those figures?

Abu Dhabi and Denmark do not have commissions and we have no idea what these guys are paid there. You likely read this off one of the many websites that post entirely made up purse data with a small disclaimer below that they are literally made up.

The UFC could fix this by downsizing and consolidating cards into a true ultimate fighting championship. Paying more to everyone and putting a stop to random nobody cards
Yeah someone important must see how embarrassing some of these fights are, I cannot believe they had a 0-0 fighter get KO'd on the prelims lol

Nobody is forcing to him to fight for the UFC. Go back to his day job or sign with another promotion when your contract his up. You act like they’re slaves.

He made $75,000 in his last fight against Whittaker. That’s more than a lot of people make in a year.
Before or after taxes?

Hopefully kids watching doesn’t pursue mma as a profession. Only the top of the top makes life changing money.

Back