Can't think of a top caliber fighter like Tony with such a crappy stand up

Lol what a silly thread. Guys with a crappy stand up don't do this to their opponents. Just because it's unorthodox doesn't mean it's crappy.

EPinvU-XsAAdFap.jpg
And 5-6 of those guys are excellent strikers except you lee and maybe RDA

The only bad thing about Ton's striking is his defense, and even there, a big part of why he gets hit often is because of his ridiculous pace.

You can't put a devil's pace on and be defensively super sound at the same time.
Paulo Costa and Justin Gaethje prove that as well.

weird thread. tony walks down and beat ups everyone at 155 you think is a better striker

Dat Wing Chun influence...

This amazing cardio everyone says tony has, have we ever seen him grapple for 5 rounds straight? Its easy to strike for 5 round but grapple for 5 rounds is completely different. Its a different kind of endurance, cant wait to see if his striking cardio translate to grappling cardio

his striking is good, defense is not the best. that probably due to the want to apply constant forward pressure and faith in a good chin. this recipe is fun to watch but I think his chin will crack in the coming years

You forgot his will to win and not giving a fck. His mental game is strong which makes him stand out among the others. There's no quit in him..
Agreed, but if his strongest asset is mental he his coming up against a even more committed competitor .

Last edited:
What a horrible take.

How can he beat Barboza, Cowboy, and hmmmmmmm everyone other than MJ(his arm was broke) on the feet??
MJ broke Tony’s arm , Rhonda broke Meisha’s arm . That’s a great way to win a fight by hurting your opponent.

RDA is a damn good striker especially when he fought Tony.
You mean except not especially. RDA was coming off a one round KO loss to Eddie Alvarez. Tony won a 5 round decision. Either Eddie Alvarez is the best striker ever or Tony isn’t that good since RDA wasn’t even at his best.

You mean except not especially. RDA was coming off a one round KO loss to Eddie Alvarez. Tony won a 5 round decision. Either Eddie Alvarez is the best striker ever or Tony isn’t that good since RDA wasn’t even at his best.
Man you need to rewatch RDA's fight from 2012 to 2015 if yoy really believe what you're saying. RDA was a monster everywhere the fight went except against Khabib (like everyone else).

Eddie Alvarez caught RDA with a huge shot but was losing all the exchanges before it happened. That's the fight game and exactly why mma math is stupid.

The fact that RDA was also a top contender at WW afterwards tells you the quality fighter he is.

RDA vs Tony was amazing and the tide kinda turned after the eye poke at the end of the 2nd/3rd iirc. I value both fighters as pretty good standing up and Eddie Alvarez also deserve respect for what he accomplished.

Of course i'm talking about modern era. We are far from days where a jiu jitsu guy could become champion with no good striking skillset.

What is unsual with a guy like Tony is despite all the progress that has been made in the professionalism in MMA, the guy does not seem to care about implementing basic striking fundamentals.

Don't get me wrong, the kid is great. He is unpredictable and relentless with his offense. But let's be real, from a technical point of view, he's not a good striker.
He fights with his chin up, hands down, gets countered easily, and has been knocked down quite a few times.

What makes him stand out is definitely his unbelievable cardio, his crafty ground game and his ability to transition well from standing to ground position.

What astonishes me is that he hasn't been ko'd before. I guess if you add to his cardio his iron chin, there's nothing his opponent can really do.

A bad match up would be a prime bendo, edgar, or khabib obviously. A good wrestler that can follow his pace and control him on the ground without being overwhelmed with his advancing.
Because i don't know if ANY of the fighters in ufc match his cardio..

I guess what i want to say is that it's so uncommon to find such a top fighter not being well rounded
Modern MMA rules are easy to manipulate for 1 dimensional guys. You could have replaced Tony's name in your title with Khabib, Usman, Woodley, GSP, Maia, Covington, Cormier, Lesnar or any of the other 1 dimensional fighters that have either held titles recently or fought for them.

We'll use Khabib for an example, since he is about to fight Ferguson, who has horrible standup up but Shertards think that, because he caught McGregor off guard and knocked him backwards, that his standup somehow got better. It hasn't. He is entirely 1 dimensional. No Jiu Jitsu, no striking, only wrestling with a touch of Judo/Sambo. Any striker gets as clean a shot on a fighter, as he did McGregor, flatlines him. What did we see? McGregor stumbled, as he couldn't believe Khabib threw a punch either.

Khabib's huge advantage is that if and when he makes weight, he has a tremendous size advantage over everyone. He is too chickenshit to move up a class because he knows that it is his strength and size advantage that keeps him at the top. Ferguson may be the first guy that he faces that cuts about the same weight and whom he won't have a significant size advantage over. He has also never faced a great submission guy and this could play into the hands of Tony. Possible first round guillotine/triangle and if he doesn't sinch it, he picks Khabib apart who will then be too afraid to go to the ground after nearly being finished.

Striking in MMA is just different. It can be sloppy but it can afford to be when the fighter has that ground game, cardio and toughness.

Technically speaking, Khabib and Tony both have sloppy striking technique but can outstrike better strikers due to the grappling threat. If it was just pure standup, they'd be taken to town by a lot of the top strikers in MMA.

Man you need to rewatch RDA's fight from 2012 to 2015 if yoy really believe what you're saying. RDA was a monster everywhere the fight went except against Khabib (like everyone else).

Eddie Alvarez caught RDA with a huge shot but was losing all the exchanges before it happened. That's the fight game and exactly why mma math is stupid.

The fact that RDA was also a top contender at WW afterwards tells you the quality fighter he is.

RDA vs Tony was amazing and the tide kinda turned after the eye poke at the end of the 2nd/3rd iirc. I value both fighters as pretty good standing up and Eddie Alvarez also deserve respect for what he accomplished.

RDA and Alvarez are both quality fighters. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Lol what a silly thread. Guys with a crappy stand up don't do this to their opponents. Just because it's unorthodox doesn't mean it's crappy.

EPinvU-XsAAdFap.jpg
I love his style but his defense needs tightening up, granted pressure guys are going to get hit sometimes like Petr Yan

He's 36 years old and hasn't lost in 8 years...
Not only that his defense it under rated in some of these fights

I remember during the Cerrone fight Joe said on multiple occasions "these punches by Cerrone aren't actually landing" even though in real time it looked like they where (Tony was doing an amazing job rolling/slipping).

The average fan watching in real time was thinking "man Tony is getting some bombs but doing his usually move forward anyways" when in reality very few clean punches got landed on him........

His aggression kinda underplays his defense at time

Back