Carla Esparza v. Michelle Waterson

I'm rooting for Waterson. Picking Esparza.

Interesting. I’m rooting for Esparza, but can’t see how she beats Waterson.

Waterson’s striking looked incredible in her fight with Kowalkievicz, especially her kicks. People seem to forget that because she was outclassed by Jedrzejczyk in her most recent outing, but that was because she ran into a superior striker. In this fight, she has a clear advantage standing.

Even though Esparza has improved her striking, all she really has is a straight right hand and a right low kick. Her fight plan is still rooted in taking her opponents down and working from the top. Most of Esparza’s best takedowns come from a double leg from punching distance. In the clinch she has been overpowered and Waterson would probably take her down with that head-and-arm throw that she loves so much.

Waterson’s kicks will keep Esparza at a distance where she’ll be too far out to shoot a good takedown (unless she catches a leg) and Waterson would shrug off the attempts from distance. Even if she does take her down, Waterson is good enough off of her back to stay out of danger and find a way back to her feet. Esparza will have to hope for a ref that doesn’t stand them up quickly when there is a lull in the action because she won’t get much done in Waterson’s guard.

I would love for Esparza to prove me wrong, but Waterson via decision.

*edit*

I hope you’re staying healthy as well.

Last edited:
Interesting. I’m rooting for Esparza, but can’t see how she beats Waterson.

Waterson’s striking looked incredible in her fight with Kowalkievicz, especially her kicks. People seem to forget that because she was outclassed by Jedrzejczyk in her most recent outing, but that was because she ran into a superior striker. In this fight, she has a clear advantage standing.

Even though Esparza has improved her striking, all she really has is a straight right hand and a right low kick. Her fight plan is still rooted in taking her opponents down and working from the top. Most of Esparza’s best takedowns come from a double leg from punching distance. In the clinch she has been overpowered and Waterson would probably take her down with that head-and-arm throw that she loves so much.

Waterson’s kicks will keep Esparza at a distance where she’ll be too far out to shoot a good takedown (unless she catches a leg) and Waterson would shrug off the attempts from distance. Even if she does take her down, Waterson is good enough off of her back to stay out of danger and find a way back to her feet. Esparza will have to hope for a ref that doesn’t stand them up quickly when there is a lull in the action because she won’t get much done in Waterson’s guard.

I would love for Esparza to prove me wrong, but Waterson via decision.

*edit*

I hope you’re staying healthy as well.

Thanks for the excellent breakdown. Enjoy the fights.

Since i dont trust Carla's cardio...i pick Michelle
Both of them get pretty tired, but they also push through it. I don't I just don't know if Michelle got enough pop to keep Carla off her.

I still need to enter my staff pics for this card and this is one of the fights I'm hung up on. I'm leaning towards Esparza but wouldn't be surprised if Waterson won. Should be a good fight.

Carla has lost 3 fights by splits and that could happen here, otherwise she's only lost to Megumi Fujii, Joanna and Tatiana Suarez ..... can't see Michelle having an easy time.

Both of them get pretty tired, but they also push through it. I don't I just don't know if Michelle got enough pop to keep Carla off her.
I'm hoping for a good fight here...
Allways like Michelle...

And I started to like Carla again -(liked her before TUF but on this show she was a cunt, so she dropped of my list)- not because of her crushing defeat to Joanna...not because she got her butt whooped but more because she also looked bad in her comeback fight, which was a winning effort against Lima...
I knew she can do better than this...
And she got better and better, fight by fight...so she won me back over...

Still not really sold on her gas tank...
Michelle, has a very good ground game and stays active...so it will keep Carla busy.

I think...
Stand Up...Michelle
Wrestling...Carla
Submissions...Michelle
GasTank...Michelle

So i gotta go with Michelle...Carla needs to get this on the ground and get as much control time as possible, to get a win here...

If Michelle isnt completly broken by her Joanna loss...she should got this..

What i also like about this fight...

That it is actually a fight between 2 "oldschoolers"

Michelle debuted in 2007
Carla in 2010

So both chicks doing it longer than most of the sherdoggers actually watching...

And both are former Invicta Champions...

I still need to enter my staff pics for this card and this is one of the fights I'm hung up on. I'm leaning towards Esparza but wouldn't be surprised if Waterson won. Should be a good fight.

My general rule is when in doubt, bet against the Jackson-Wink fighter.

You know what, guys.

I’m actually really up for this. I wanted that Nunes vs Spencer fight way more. But, this is a damn good scrap on paper.

I miss the ladies. Plain and simple.

War!

Michelle via anything she wants.

90nkt0frjfx41.jpg

Carla in a 3 rd lay n pray win. But literally every other fight on the card is great so I'm good with it.

I wood both. Not sure if that’s what the question was, but that’s the answer

What a pathetic fight this was....

Michelle is a point fighter...wait she is from Greg Jackson’s. She’s Pretty to look at but man boring to watch.

Michelle Waterson has no passion/desire in fighting imo. She's a boring, lame fighter. She fights not wanting to lose, rather than wanting to win.

Michelle Waterson has no passion/desire in fighting imo. She's a boring, lame fighter. She fights not wanting to lose, rather than wanting to win.

I can't say I'm surprised, Joanna broke her and made her cry in their fight.

Back