Media Chael Sonnen: 'No one wants to see Islam vs Oliveira rematch. Neither do fighters'

I didn't mean to suggest the rematch is controversial... it isn't. I meant to suggest it isn't the most compelling.

In other words, I don't see how this is a hill that anyone wants to die on (promoting OR attacking a title shot for Charles). There's just not much there.

Dariush was the most compelling LW title shot by a large margin. But the UFC didn't want him to fight for the title after 8 wins. So we got a bullshit "try to derail Beneil, and if Charles wins he is in limbo" matchup instead which was worse for literally everyone involved.

PERSONALLY now I'd prefer a rematch of Charles/Dustin, then if Charles wins he is more compelling. Not that I think Justin or Arman are entirely deserving of fighting for the title before Charles. Just that we just saw Islam/Charles last year so I'm not itching for it. I'll get lambasted for it, but honestly I find Islam fighting at WW more compelling than any of his top LW match-ups as of today.

I hear you and i don't disagree, i think i'm just hopeful Charles can bring a different outcome this time around.

He had a second chance, but was dumb enough to spar without a helmet and got injured a week before the fight... Too bad. <Fedor23>
You're not wrong. I don't agree entirely, but i just don't like the idea of someone as successful as Charles getting Fitch'd.

Well Charles after beating Beneil got the chance but pulled out and should be behind a fresh contender. That can be Gaethje or if UFC really want to be daring then give Arman a shot.

Well Charles after beating Beneil got the chance but pulled out and should be behind a fresh contender. That can be Gaethje or if UFC really want to be daring then give Arman a shot.

Yes, and also, adding in that Oliveira's win over Dariush hasn't really aged that well. It makes me feel like other fighters with better striking than Gamrot can now steamroll Dariush, and there's a list of them.

Chael is a pro wrestling fangirl catering to other pro wrestling fangirl dorks. Ignore.

Chael bashing aside does anyone want to explain the actual impetus behind a rematch where the fight was not controversial in the slightest and the guy that lost it is on a 1-fight win streak??

It's gotten really out of hand. Colby should have had to string a couple ranked wins together. Oliveira should too.

regardless of all that he is right in this situation
Well, i dont think he is. I wanna see that fight, along with a lot of people.

IMHO, Charles got caught and lost. He fought terribly and i honestly expect their next fight to be different. Islam remains the favorite (as he would also be against any LW atm) but I would never, ever count Charles out. He can definitely hurt islam on the feet into a sub/tko.

I'd watch... But don't anticipate anything too different. I'd agree I'm not clamouring for it

I really want to see it personally.

Of fights that actually make sense, it’s probably near the bottom of that list for me. Just because the first fight wasn’t long ago and wasn’t particularly competitive. But I’m not like against it.

Relative to what? Would I rather see Arman? Sure. Would I rather see Justin? Not yet.

Strange, but IMO Charles is the second most compelling match-up after Arman. The finish was dominant, but the fight was close enough to have a different outcome--even if it's a little more likely than not to end similarly.

Very true, you remember the fight very well. That's issue with this Olivera/Islam rematch is that it's one of those fights that not much happened aside a few moments that Islam had and that's what people remember. The 2 TDs', the 1-2 right at the start of the fight that cut Charles, and the finish. But it was actually a competitive fight.

Well, i dont think he is. I wanna see that fight, along with a lot of people.

IMHO, Charles got caught and lost. He fought terribly and i honestly expect their next fight to be different. Islam remains the favorite (as he would also be against any LW atm) but I would never, ever count Charles out. He can definitely hurt islam on the feet into a sub/tko.
he didn't get caught he was getting dominated the whole fight he really had no success and based on how easily he got subbed the moment it went to the ground shows a difference in their pedigree. I am not interested in watching islam fight another rematch at all. Islam is already a champion with very few wins against top lw's, he should be fighting more LWS.

Rematches in the UFC are close to 50/50, even when the original fight was handily won by the loser of the second fight. Fights just have a tendency to look different the second time around.

And even in fights where the same guy won, they tend to look different. Remember when everyone on Sherdog was sure that the second fight between Usman/Leon would be ground domination by Usman?

Chuck made Daruish (who allegedly was going to tool him) look like an amateur. No one else at the weight has much of a chance against him. People still saying they wished Daruish had fought Islam? ROFL, he got smashed by Chuck, he doesn't belong in a title match.

I think a lot of people know Charles is a harder matchup than everyone else (Islam knows this), and don't want to see Islam lose (I think Islam fears this also).

I think Islam not wanting to fight Chuck is quite similar to the reason Izzy doesn't want to fight Alex. Everyone wants to avoid tough matchups.

Chuck is easily the #1 contender; he has mostly cleaned out the division other than Islam. He has a way better record at LW than anyone, including Islam, who has been fighting manlets.

No one wants to see this rematch. Even olive himself does not want to see this match.

Only ppl that want this rematch are Charles nuthuggers. What is there to see for this rematch when the first fight was so one-sided. Wasn't event a lucky punch ko, was just domination on the feet and on the ground.

Triggered charles nuthuggers incoming...

Chael bashing aside does anyone want to explain the actual impetus behind a rematch where the fight was not controversial in the slightest and the guy that lost it is on a 1-fight win streak??
His one-fight win streak is against the other top contender at the time, and he has beaten most of the other top LWs already. Comparing him to other LW contenders is laughable.

People would like to see Tsarukyan, but again, compare who he has beaten to Chuck. Laughable to try to justify that.

Many champs get instant rematches, and that isn't the case given he beat the other top contender already.

he didn't get caught he was getting dominated the whole fight he really had no success and based on how easily he got subbed the moment it went to the ground shows a difference in their pedigree. I am not interested in watching islam fight another rematch at all. Islam is already a champion with very few wins against top lw's, he should be fighting more LWS.
Your logic is incredibly flawed. Charles got caught, and that was the reason he got subbed; it was similar to GSP rocking Bisping then getting a quick choke when Bisping was rocked (same thing in BJ/Hughes 1), it happens a lot in MMA. Islam had already been in the top position for a while during the first round and couldn't do a sub or anything else really; the idea that the second-round submission was indicative of a gap in pedigree is pretty silly. Charles has more submission wins than anyone in the history of the sport.

Back