Media Chael Sonnen on how "the show moves on" and DDP shouldn't be allowed to dictate his division

qYL6QR.gif

"When their fight reached conclusion, we were gonna do Strickland vs Adesanya again. And when it became clear that "no we are not" we moved on to try and find a contender for Sean Strickland,
which we did. His name was Khamzat Chimaev. That's what happened, so much like when we were promised DDP vs Izzy... He hurt his hand and couldn't make the fight, so what did we do?
We moved on to du Plessis. He has his own Strickland-moment when he upsets Strickland. Now everybody wants that rematch, but we can't do it because we got to have them ready by UFC 300.
So that alone is where Izzy and du Plessis comes in, so when DDP comes out and says "I'm not fighting Izzy at 300"? You are now not fighting him. You might be, but we might also honor what we already promised which is Chimaev, who is now healthy. We might do the unforeseen after you did the unforeseen.

Izzy did say that "my next fight is going to be for fun", he did say that and in the context of asking him if he were to pursue a rematch or championship fight. So when du Plessis says "I'm not fighting
Izzy at 300",then you're not fighting Izzy. That offer is no good for 301, not good for 304, it might someday become good again but not right now, and this isn't Chael's argument. This is the argument that
Bo Nickal,Khamzat Chimaev, Sean Strickland needs to make. The moment DDP said he's not fighting Izzy as of now, that moment the rest of the contenders needs to step up and say "then you're not fighting Izzy". I mean not for nothing, what is Whittaker and Paulo Costa fighting for? That is amongst the hardest, most sure thing bludgeonings that Dana White has put together in the last half of a decade. Both the winner and the loser is going to be different when that fight is over, do you understand that? So what's it for? What are they doing it for? There's a lot of guys that should be speaking up."

Didn t read but generally i wouldn t transcript anything shale says

Why is the UFC HellBent on forcing fighters to fight injured?

I get it, you have no main-event for UFC 300... but how are you going to force DDP to prepare for a fight when his face was just badly busted up... probably be a month or 2 at least before he can even start training properly again.

The UFC did this to DDP last time too - they tried to get him to accept a short notice fight and fight Izzy in Australia. DDP asked for more time and they dropped him and put Strickland in there.

You can't drop DDP this time though, because he is the CHAMP.

I personally thought Strickland won, but that's fine - they gave the decision to DDP... ok, but both were busted up in a WAR.

Why do people like Khabib and Islam get to defend once a year? But DDP has to take dights on 2 months notice after winning the belt in a bloody war??

That's stupid. Izzy doesn't even deserve a title shot for that matter. Neither does Khamzat.
Let me tell you a coupla three things:

1) Makh and Khabib are huge stars in an emerging market. This gives them insane leverage because they make money for the UFC even if they are not fighting.

2) Their title fights almost all ended in a finish (only one was Makhachev vs Volk 1) therefore there was no question who the king of the division was. If DDP had gone out and done Sean like he did Whittaker, I think the follow-up would be much different than it is.

3) LW is DEEP with multiple stars who can carry a PPV all on their own in a non-title fight. They don't need whoever the champ is at the time to fight as frequently. At MW, who else is there besides Izzy and Chimaev who hasn't fought in god knows how long. The UFC recognizes that Izzy is the more profitable champ so that's why they are rushing DDP.

4) There is a milestone event coming up soon in which they probably don't have anything lined up for the main event, so they need a title fight: it has to be someone popular like Izzy, so they are killing two birds with one stone by going after the fighter with the least amount of leverage, DDP, to get a title fight on the card with a popular fighter (Izzy).

At least that's what I think. The UFC has done this with champs that they don't particularly like, like Sterling. They should leave him alone to recover because he took a ton of damage and has been pretty active. However, with then UFC it's all about scharole over fighter health or sporting integrity.

its not a razor thin decision

fun fact almost all mma websites think ddp won
almost all pro fighters thought ddp won
even seans corner think he didnt fought well

sean has been stalked like a prey and was defending himself for 4.5 rds

guess your the only one who think sean won and his fanboys

STOP LYING.

You've been called out by multiple people. "Almost all MMA sites" is a lie. "Almost all pro fighters" is a lie.

400 people on this site voted. 51% thought Sean won. I already linked you to the thread and you ignored it. And there's this. Stop lying.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/14480/Dricus-Du-Plessis-vs-Sean-Strickland

Chael never won a belt - he doesn't know what its like to be champion.. he can only dream. He can stfu.

I always found him more entertaining as a fighter and shit talker on the mic, his MMA commentary always sucked to me and was uninteresting.

I don't even understand Chael's point.
>> The moment DDP said he's not fighting Izzy as of now, that moment the rest of the contenders needs to step up and say "then you're not fighting Izzy"

What kind of bullshit argument is that - he could just wanna wait 6 months

Last edited:
its not a razor thin decision

fun fact almost all mma websites think ddp won
almost all pro fighters thought ddp won
even seans corner think he didnt fought well

sean has been stalked like a prey and was defending himself for 4.5 rds

guess your the only one who think sean won and his fanboys

Are you just spamming this? It’s easily proven as a lie, so why do you think it is worth repeating?

Back