Media The South African: Dricus du Plessis first title defense will be against this fighter

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, thesouthafrican.com is one of the top 3 largest online news publishers in SA. Averaging 5.7 million readers per month on their site.

Today they published this article regarding the future of DDP:

Who is really next in line to take on South African MMA star and UFC Middleweight champion, Dricus Du Plessis?

After claiming the UFC Middleweight title in Toronto, Dricus du Plessis called out Isreal Adesanya. But it appears more likely that his first opponent will be chosen by the promotion and not him.

While there is no doubting that Du Plessis vs Adesanya would be blockbuster, circumstances point to another contender.

Sean Strickland was only just defeated by Du Plessis via split decision but he doesn’t appear set to get a rematch, despite claiming that he should have won the battle at UFC 297.
The rankings right now put Strickland and Adesanya at the head of the queue, but insiders suggest someone further down the ladder will be getting that shot.

Adesanya had declared late last year that he would take an extended break from the sport. On ‘The Rock’ podcast, Adesanya said "I know what I can do and what I can change in my lifestyle
to make my body adapt to where I need to be. I’m going to heal myself up. You won’t see me fight for a long time.”

While the rankings favour Adesanya and Strickland, it seems that Chimaev has been promised a title shot. Chimaev has raved at the prospect of not getting what he has been promised.

In a recent interview with ESPN, Chimaev said: “All these guys have fought each other, and only me is undefeated, undisputed.13-0. They promised me after the Usman fight, I will for sure fight for the title.
I won that fight, so I don’t know what’s going on. I heard Dana White say, ‘I don’t know if Khamzat is next’. That’s bullsh*t, man. If you promise me something, you have to answer it."

If Dana White is a man of his word Du Plessis will next face Chimaev.

Then the article ends after that last sentence. Talk about insinuating words there, which seems really weird when they are pro DDP as South African of course. Thoughts on this?

Source: https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/mma/dricus-du-plessis-first-title-defence-khamzat-chimaev/

If Izzy isn't fighting, which is likely, then its definitely Khamzat next in line for the title shot.

Nothing to complain about from a fans perspective. They are all going to end up having to fight each other at some point anyway.

To me it doesn't matter in which order.

Dana White is not a man of his word.

/Thread
Yep. Especially since Khamzat said that he is apparently not next and is losing his shit over Dana giving his word and now breaking it.
Khamzat - DDP is a fight I’d like to see even if the Chechen doesn’t really deserve it at this point.

Khamzat is getting used to getting what he wants from his daddy Kadyrov, so now he thinks throwing a temper tantrum will allow him to fight for the title in a division whose only fighter he has beaten is Gerald Meerschart.

Sherdog:
Who has Khamzat beat at MW to deserve a titleshot?
<Has actual wins at MW>

Also Sherdog:
OMG yeah Pereira vs Aspinall for the HW title totally makes sense!
<0 wins at HW>

Me reading Sherdog Forums:
Gesturing-with-hand GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Throwing Khamzat into the title mix isn’t a bad thing, it’s a fresh matchup for the division and a welcomed change. The guy isn’t a welterweight. I’d rather see him fight guys his size than play the weight game and bully 170lb guys. I say let him bang he says he can be the champ, let’s find out.

Sherdog:
<Has actual wins at MW>

Also Sherdog:
<0 wins at HW>

Tbf Alex holds a belt sir.

Im not down for that Alex fight however.

Tbf Alex holds a belt sir.

Im not down for that Alex fight however.
A belt in a lower weightclass holds no relevance to the rankings of a higher weightclass, sir.

No one should be getting fights like this unless they've completely wiped their division out and even then, I think it's questionable.

Pereira literally has less wins at HW than Khamzat has at MW. Racking up wins in a lower weightclass shouldn't give you a free titleshot in a division you literally have 0 wins in.

A belt in a lower weightclass holds no relevance to the rankings of a higher weightclass, sir.

No one should be getting fights like this unless they've completely wiped their division out and even then, I think it's questionable.

Pereira literally has less wins at HW than Khamzat has at MW. Racking up wins in a lower weightclass shouldn't give you a free titleshot in a division you literally have 0 wins in.

I definitely agree with you on this one sir.

Sherdog:
<Has actual wins at MW>

Also Sherdog:
<0 wins at HW>

to be fair, poaten is a 2 weight division ufc champ.

chimaev has 0 titles.

Back