Media Chatri Sityodtong: I truly believe Sage Northcutt has what it takes to become world champion

Inverse

Ginger Belt
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
ONE Championship CEO sits down with Sean Sheehan to talk about ONE's upcoming United States debut ONE Fight Night 10: Johnson vs. Moraes 3 on Prime Video.

"I truly believe Sage has everything and more in terms of what it takes to become a world champion. A world champion across multiple disciplines for that matter. If you talk to anyone that’s trained with Sage or you’ve seen Sage spar, you’ll know he has unbelievable athleticism, cardio, explosiveness, speed, balance and of course, technical ability. He’s an unbelievable striker, great wrestling, and outstanding jujitsu.

It’s just unfortunate he had a bad, bad start in ONE – so this is going to be a huge comeback story. Of course there’s a lot of questions, fans are going to be asking, where is Sage mentally? When you’ve been knocked out like that coming back you may or not be the same person, you may be gun shy but at the same time, Sage is one of these 1 in 8 billion kind of athletes.. I think Sage is going to come back spectacularly but he has a tough fight."

What's covered in the interview:
- ONE Championship United States debut
- Why ONE won't do gimmicks like YouTube boxing and slap fighting
- The benefits of including mauy thai, kickboxing and grappling
- Ruleset for US Debut
- Weight Cutting and Hydration Testing
- ONE Championship scoring system
- ONE Fight Night 10: Demetrious Johnson vs Adriano Moraes 3
- Is Demetrious 'Mighty Mouse' Johnson the GOAT?
- Roberto Soldic vs. Zabaztian Zadestam | Murad Ramazanov rematch
- What's next for Sage? Sage Northcutt vs. Ahmed Muhtaba
- What's next for Angela Lee and Christian Lee

ONE Championship CEO sits down with Sean Sheehan to talk about ONE's upcoming United States debut ONE Fight Night 10: Johnson vs. Moraes 3 on Prime Video.

"I truly believe Sage has everything and more in terms of what it takes to become a world champion. A world champion across multiple disciplines for that matter. If you talk to anyone that’s trained with Sage or you’ve seen Sage spar, you’ll know he has unbelievable athleticism, cardio, explosiveness, speed, balance and of course, technical ability. He’s an unbelievable striker, great wrestling, and outstanding jujitsu.

It’s just unfortunate he had a bad, bad start in ONE – so this is going to be a huge comeback story. Of course there’s a lot of questions, fans are going to be asking, where is Sage mentally? When you’ve been knocked out like that coming back you may or not be the same person, you may be gun shy but at the same time, Sage is one of these 1 in 8 billion kind of athletes.. I think Sage is going to come back spectacularly but he has a tough fight."

- Ruleset for US Debut

Of course he does, I bet he pays him 100K to show and meanwhile he buries his own hype even further.

Sage Northcutt is one fight away from getting his jaw rewired again.

Fucking LOL at being a world champion.

Isn't Sage Northcutt in the same weight class as Roberto Soldic and Saygid Izagakhamaev? Jesus Christ, he's in danger of death.

Isn't Sage Northcutt in the same weight class as Roberto Soldic and Saygid Izagakhamaev? Jesus Christ, he's in danger of death.
He might also be in the same weight class as Christian Lee and Saygid Arslanaliev, but the danger is just the same :D

Sage is 27 years old, if he was world champ material, we would have seen signs of it by now.

The biggest MMA cinderella story Charles Oliveira started his comeback win streak at Sage's age. what has Sage done to prove he has that in him? Not fighting for four years?

He might also be in the same weight class as Christian Lee and Saygid Arslanaliev, but the danger is just the same :D

The danger is far lesser but I don't think he beats Lee or Arskanaliev. At least he'd have size vs them though.

Sage is 27 years old, if he was world champ material, we would have seen signs of it by now.

The biggest MMA cinderella story Charles Oliveira started his comeback win streak at Sage's age. what has Sage done to prove he has that in him? Not fighting for four years?

Robbie Lawler started his Cinderella story at 31. I'm sure there's at least a few others, Sage ain't it though.

Sage is a great Tricker his acrobatics are amazing, makes him look like a superhero. Chatri makes the mistake of thinking good in one area of Martial arts will make them good in all areas. Takes a long time... and finally Sage is just a decent MMA fighter but still a great Tricker.

Even when he was losing Oliveira showed the skills to be champ. He would demolish people, go on streaks then screw the pooch, mostly against great fighters. Sage lost to Gall when they were about the same age. Not like he got caught or screwed up he just wasn't as good. Sage can be an okay fighter but doesn't appear to be champ material. I remember watching Jones when he got to the UFC and you can tell something was different about him.

- Ruleset for US Debut

So, he has an Ivan Drago looking American on his roster & thinks he's king of the world?

One, as in......
number-one-bullshit-khabib-nurmagomedov.gif

Wouldn't that be something? If he took all this time off after getting his face broken, and actually developed his skill a great deal and reached his athletic potential within martial arts

My original instinct was to post "breaking news: Promoter high on fighter he promotes" but considering how UFC influenced this industry is it actually is kind of noteworthy when a promoter pumps a fighter's tires.

He's like, not a good fighter. As a matter of fact, there are very few good fighters in One.

- Ruleset for US Debut

This guy is trippin.
The only way Sage will get a belt is if they hand it to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back