Congrats to Lachlan Giles for tapping 5 opponents

Very much schoolboy stuff in the finals.. Everyone else on the team had to have a turn.

If I was the on the team, I'd be "naw bro, he doing a good job. I'll just keep sitting right here until you need me"

I think Gordon Ryan submitted 3 opponents. Saw some footage where it was the Danaher back attack system at work as Gordon RNC’ed his opponent.

Didn’t see any footage of Lachlan except pictures and post interview.

I think Gordon Ryan submitted 3 opponents. Saw some footage where it was the Danaher back attack system at work as Gordon RNC’ed his opponent.

Didn’t see any footage of Lachlan except pictures and post interview.

Gordon hit a cool kimura from backmount, a RNC over the face, and a really funky-looking arm-in guillotine, which ended with him on his side, and a grip I really don't understand at all.

Giles went in there & machine-gunned just about everyone with 4 inside heelhooks, except for 1 armbar, which he somehow grabbed off his back in halfguard, insane. And not that size is everything, because it's certainly not, but it is still impressive that he did it as the noticeably smaller man in most, if not all the matches. Also one of the guys he heelhooked was Chris Lytle, and while he might not get the props he deserves in MMA or BJJ, that guy is fucking near impossible to finish.

Overall it was a great show. Really like the pace / production too, very little time in between, so the matches just kept coming.

If I have one complaint, they need to add in replays (they had none); preferably with other angles added in there as well.

Giles’s armbar was what he and Craig Jones call the Choibar, I believe. Attack the far arm by threading your top leg over top your opponent. It’s a good follow up to the kimura from there and can also work as a direct attack.

I love how Giles is using a 50/50 and “outside sankaku” based leglock approach rather than simply following the Renzo guys’ game plan. The outside sankaku stuff is very similar to Reilly Bodycomb’s approach before the Renzo stuff blew up, which I find interesting.

Gordon hit a cool kimura from backmount, a RNC over the face, and a really funky-looking arm-in guillotine, which ended with him on his side, and a grip I really don't understand at all.

Looked like a neck strap/gogo choke grip with the arm in, either fist to throat or hand grip to throat.

Edit: i looked at the replay of the match and it was a 'deep nelson' choke, where you snake your choking arm in past his neck on the other side, hitting both sides, while the other arm is basically used for support and control however needed. You can see his hand around Vasconcelos' shoulder around 6:33-6:32 match time.

He's used this method before in the past as well, and is probably his primary method for attacking the guillotine situation. Nate Diaz uses it as well.

(11:00~)

Last edited:
I love how Giles is using a 50/50 and “outside sankaku” based leglock approach rather than simply following the Renzo guys’ game plan. The outside sankaku stuff is very similar to Reilly Bodycomb’s approach before the Renzo stuff blew up, which I find interesting.

I don't love it, because it's making everyone wisen up to my trickery.

I enjoyed Kinetic overall, though they needed to turn the lights up a bit.

Some of the rules need ironing out and the teams need to be more balanced but team grappling is great to watch.

Back