Conor McGregor's Apology Was A Shameless PR Move

Was Conor's apology real or fake?

• Total voters
That's not why conor love tapped him...conor hit him, cause of what the guy said...all the guy had to say was no thank you...but instead he got mouthy...there was no need for that...conor was being nice...and offering him a free drink...instead, the guy insults conor and his product...

Are you writing this from prison?

"Reacting to bait" is code speak for "lay off the coke."

Summary: In this editorial, the author says Conor's apology was fake. His main argument is if it was real, he would have apologized at the time.

Conor McGregor recently sat down with ESPN to do some public relations work. McGregor has not fought since Khabib Nurmagomedov submitted him in the main event of UFC 229, which took place in October 2018. Since then it seems the only time the UFC competitor has made the news is for a violent or vile indiscretion.

. . .

. . .

Earlier this month, TMZ released video from April of McGregor punching a bar patron in an Irish pub. The man's crime? He allegedly refused a drink from McGregor.

In a somewhat tone-deaf apology, McGregor attempted to paint himself as a victim of celebrity.

"I need to just stop reacting to the bait," McGregor told ESPN. "People are trying to bait me into things. Am I the fish? Or am I the whale? I must be calm. I must be calm. I must be zen. I must lead by example. There's so many people looking up to me. How can I react in this way? I need to get a hold of this."

McGregor then stressed how long it's been since he was last in trouble.

"It's been, what? Five months since that one? That's it," said McGregor. "I just have to take what comes and move on. I've learned from every single experience in my life and try to do right for the people who want me to do right. … But how can they back me in certain situations? I must understand that and grow as a man and make amends."

As apologies go, McGregor's fell short. He seemed contrite when he said, "I was in the wrong. That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. Although, five months ago it was, I tried to make amends. And I made amends back then. That doesn't even matter, I was in the wrong."

However, when he painted himself as a victim who was being baited into reacting violently, he lost any goodwill he had earned.

The entire interview came across as a calculated PR move by McGregor, his team and the UFC. What made thing worse was the timing.

Had McGregor apologized at the time of any of these incidents, he may have earned himself some sympathy. He didn't. He waited to apologize until he learned his popularity was on the wane and that fighters such as Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz were emerging as stars while McGregor sat in the sidelines.

The sad thing is that McGregor's transparent PR ploy seems to be working. The media has gloomed onto his apology and painted it as sincere, which is exactly the way McGregor and the UFC wanted it to play out. As long as McGregor doesn't have another run-in with the authorities, the UFC will be able to slot McGregor into a high-profile fight.

As we have found out over that past few years, that's a big if when it comes to the volatile fighter.

-Forbes
ahgx89d.gif

I think that it was both a genuine apology as well as a PR move.

It was most definitely damage control but that doesn't mean that it wasn't also sincere. I think that he knows that he fucked up and so he apologized for it. But that televised apology also served a purpose in regards to his public image.

I agree but I don’t know if the old man incident was the only thing that he was apologising for.

It was most definitely damage control but that doesn't mean that it wasn't also sincere. I think that he knows that he fucked up and so he apologized for it. But that televised apology also served a purpose in regards to his public image.

He sincerely feels bad it’s on camera and he looks like an ass and further damaged his rep.
He’s sincerely ashamed, he got caught.

Whatever guilt he felt for the old dude passed in a short bit and definitely with whatever private settlement came for the older dude.

Es normal.
Excellent Marketing move. If any thing gonna add significantly to the buy rate Next bout... with more drama.

Fans wanna see him redeem and many want to see him fall.

Last edited:
Con-man got shook when he saw Nate getting all that attention and decided he needed to horn in and steal back the spotlight.

Summary: In this editorial, the author says Conor's apology was fake. His main argument is if it was real, he would have apologized at the time.

Conor McGregor recently sat down with ESPN to do some public relations work. McGregor has not fought since Khabib Nurmagomedov submitted him in the main event of UFC 229, which took place in October 2018. Since then it seems the only time the UFC competitor has made the news is for a violent or vile indiscretion.

. . .

. . .

Earlier this month, TMZ released video from April of McGregor punching a bar patron in an Irish pub. The man's crime? He allegedly refused a drink from McGregor.

In a somewhat tone-deaf apology, McGregor attempted to paint himself as a victim of celebrity.

"I need to just stop reacting to the bait," McGregor told ESPN. "People are trying to bait me into things. Am I the fish? Or am I the whale? I must be calm. I must be calm. I must be zen. I must lead by example. There's so many people looking up to me. How can I react in this way? I need to get a hold of this."

"It's been, what? Five months since that one? That's it," said McGregor. "I just have to take what comes and move on. I've learned from every single experience in my life and try to do right for the people who want me to do right. … But how can they back me in certain situations? I must understand that and grow as a man and make amends."

As apologies go, McGregor's fell short. He seemed contrite when he said, "I was in the wrong. That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. Although, five months ago it was, I tried to make amends. And I made amends back then. That doesn't even matter, I was in the wrong."

However, when he painted himself as a victim who was being baited into reacting violently, he lost any goodwill he had earned.

The entire interview came across as a calculated PR move by McGregor, his team and the UFC. What made thing worse was the timing.

Had McGregor apologized at the time of any of these incidents, he may have earned himself some sympathy. He didn't. He waited to apologize until he learned his popularity was on the wane and that fighters such as Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz were emerging as stars while McGregor sat in the sidelines.

The sad thing is that McGregor's transparent PR ploy seems to be working. The media has gloomed onto his apology and painted it as sincere, which is exactly the way McGregor and the UFC wanted it to play out. As long as McGregor doesn't have another run-in with the authorities, the UFC will be able to slot McGregor into a high-profile fight.

As we have found out over that past few years, that's a big if when it comes to the volatile fighter.

-Forbes
This interview ranks up this with the RKelly interview w/Gale King as far as execution of a person trying to drum up some sympathy...it was so bad and cringe worthy I LOL

I need to just stop reacting to the bait
yeah conor, the old timer baited you into punching him.

he isn't even apologising. he's subtly implying the problem isn't that he's a drunken coked up asshole, but that he can't control himself when other people bait him.

That's not why conor love tapped him...conor hit him, cause of what the guy said...all the guy had to say was no thank you...but instead he got mouthy...there was no need for that...conor was being nice...and offering him a free drink...instead, the guy insults conor and his product...
yes, the old guy should have said..I'm sorry your majesty but I have to respectfully decline in partaking in your delicious adult beverage.

How the Fuck was Conor "baited" into committing violence against a senior citizen who declined to drink his cheap, plebian swill?

Could you kindly enlighten me on that particular point?

It seems to me the article is bang on. He was definitely trying to paint himself as a victim of celebrity and he also suggested he was provoked, which is absolute nonsense. What about that suggests sincerity?

Dude got caught on camera sucker punching a seated elderly man. I mean, damn. That's a BAD look.

How the Fuck was Conor "baited" into committing violence against a senior citizen who declined to drink his cheap, plebian swill?

Could you kindly enlighten me on that particular point?

It seems to me the article is bang on. He was definitely trying to paint himself as a victim of celebrity and he also suggested he was provoked, which is absolute nonsense. What about that suggests sincerity?

If I recall correctly the "baited" comment was in response to being questioned about the smashed phone. Maybe someone has that part of the interview timestamped. I'm sure you'll understand if I decline to watch the whole thing again to check.

Last edited:

Is this supposed to be a serious position?

"I don't want your shit." Proper 12 is shit. It is absolute shit. I would respond similarly if McGregor offered me his whisky, with some version of: "No thanks... I think it's shitty whiskey." I don't see how he insulted Conor… he simply made a true statement about his product. Did he insult Conor? No. Did he insult his product? Yes, it could be construed that way.

Then Conor hits him... The guy is a fucking senior citizen. Conor is a professional fighter.

Your perspective is objectively indefensible.

no, it seemed pretty genuine to me, he wasn't reading off cue cards or anything, i think he is really sorry, lets hope it turns into conor fighting regularly again.

. . .

. . .

-Forbes
Apologize at the time? That's not how apologies usually work.

That interview was weird as fuck.

That guy is not right in his head. Seriously.

Although while he says he wants to own up to his behavior he keeps making excuses for everything that went wrong. Inside and outside the cage.

So why he might feel bad for some of the shit he did he still puts blame on others.

Is this supposed to be a serious position?

"I don't want your shit." Proper 12 is shit. It is absolute shit. I would respond similarly if McGregor offered me his whisky, with some version of: "No thanks... I think it's shitty whiskey." I don't see how he insulted Conor… he simply made a true statement about his product. Did he insult Conor? No. Did he insult his product? Yes, it could be construed that way.

Then Conor hits him... The guy is a fucking senior citizen. Conor is a professional fighter.

Your perspective is objectively indefensible.

if he really is 50...that's not a senior citizen...haha that would make the rock nearly one..that would jason stathom one....see how crazy that is....70+ is a senior citizen.

Back