Conor McGregor's Apology Was A Shameless PR Move

Was Conor's apology real or fake?

• Total voters
He cried himself to sleep when Nate didn't mention his name, he then posted on instagram about Nate not mentioning his name. Then gives an interview with Ariel to keep his name in the media when Nate didn't.
I bet he sat glued to the TV when Nate did his post speech, and then he called out Masvidal. Haha, priceless.

I dont watch any pressers, conferences, interviews, or anything other than the fight itself - I skip walk-ins and Buffer's introductions if its a title fight (too long-winded). So I certainly didn't watch this and it baffles me that so many do - especially considering that most people who watched it are apparent 'haters' of McGregor.

Hate him?

Stop giving him clicks.

It seriously confuses me that him saying he has no excuses and was completely in the wrong is now a "PR move"

What would you prefer him do? Try to justify punching an old man?

Your hate is making it so that no matter what he does, he's wrong

Summary: In this editorial, the author says Conor's apology was fake. His main argument is if it was real, he would have apologized at the time.

Conor McGregor's Apology Was A Shameless PR Move

Conor McGregor recently sat down with ESPN to do some public relations work. McGregor has not fought since Khabib Nurmagomedov submitted him in the main event of UFC 229, which took place in October 2018. Since then it seems the only time the UFC competitor has made the news is for a violent or vile indiscretion.

. . .

. . .

Earlier this month, TMZ released video from April of McGregor punching a bar patron in an Irish pub. The man's crime? He allegedly refused a drink from McGregor.

In a somewhat tone-deaf apology, McGregor attempted to paint himself as a victim of celebrity.

"I need to just stop reacting to the bait," McGregor told ESPN. "People are trying to bait me into things. Am I the fish? Or am I the whale? I must be calm. I must be calm. I must be zen. I must lead by example. There's so many people looking up to me. How can I react in this way? I need to get a hold of this."

McGregor then stressed how long it's been since he was last in trouble.

"It's been, what? Five months since that one? That's it," said McGregor. "I just have to take what comes and move on. I've learned from every single experience in my life and try to do right for the people who want me to do right. … But how can they back me in certain situations? I must understand that and grow as a man and make amends."

As apologies go, McGregor's fell short. He seemed contrite when he said, "I was in the wrong. That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. Although, five months ago it was, I tried to make amends. And I made amends back then. That doesn't even matter, I was in the wrong."

However, when he painted himself as a victim who was being baited into reacting violently, he lost any goodwill he had earned.

The entire interview came across as a calculated PR move by McGregor, his team and the UFC. What made thing worse was the timing.

Had McGregor apologized at the time of any of these incidents, he may have earned himself some sympathy. He didn't. He waited to apologize until he learned his popularity was on the wane and that fighters such as Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz were emerging as stars while McGregor sat in the sidelines.

The sad thing is that McGregor's transparent PR ploy seems to be working. The media has gloomed onto his apology and painted it as sincere, which is exactly the way McGregor and the UFC wanted it to play out. As long as McGregor doesn't have another run-in with the authorities, the UFC will be able to slot McGregor into a high-profile fight.

As we have found out over that past few years, that's a big if when it comes to the volatile fighter.

-Forbes
Anyone can write for Forbes, it's user submission

So basically it's a Sherdog rant

No shit it was a PR move... He said he couldnt even remember if he hit the old man or not lol.... Ariel tried to make him admit that he did and he said something along the lines of "it happened awhile ago and i dont remember these things" lmao....

Also when asked what he is doing to change so he can stop assaulting ppl, he said hes doing nothing different and just will spend more time with the family... basically the typical "im not doing shit" answer.

NPDs are expert manipulators. Hes sorry for himself, not his victims.

It's what you would expect from an alcoholic. Something in them knows right from wrong, so they go through the motions when they get sober. They don't mean it though. The only thing they are sorry for is that they can't stop fucking up. Even then, it is a selfish sorry.

christian conor is a family man
he prays every day
he is concerned about world peace

christian conor will CRUSADE against the heathens
GOD BLESS

It was 100% a PR move. In Conor's apology he claimed the old man baited him. Apparently turning down a shot is bait for sucker punching.

I mean it's your typical celebrity/politician/athlete "I fucked up and I don't want people to forget me, so I'm 'sorry'"

It seriously confuses me that him saying he has no excuses and was completely in the wrong is now a "PR move"

What would you prefer him do? Try to justify punching an old man?

Your hate is making it so that no matter what he does, he's wrong

You don't know much about life if you think his appologies are genuine. As said more above he's only sorry for himself, he didn't even appologies for the phone incident he's just "trying to focus on the good things" lol.
He could have said that he lost it, realised he needed help and will try to adress his anger issues (which he clearly has) and I think people would be much more forgiving, he has issues and he is not adressing them, always giving out the same lame ass lies and excuses.

I do think he is trapped in his fake gimmick and he doesnt know how to reverse it, his trash talk made him famous but now it is boring and properly insufferable, playing on racial tensions and fake honor but he knows his fans are casuals who are buying all that bs and he's surrounded by yes men he will never leave because of blind loyalty.

He is becoming the Kardashian of sport, at least the K"s have always been rich and famous.They know how to deal with fame and haters.

As a frequent Conor detractor, I'd say that his apology was clearly a case of his being sorry he was caught more than anything else and, just as some already said, is pretty well evidenced on his self focus and deflecting.

However, I don't jive with this guy's reasoning. If Conor said he apologized to the old man immediately, then isn't that what he should be talking about? He's clearly not sorry because you didn't get an immediate apology? There's 101 reasons his apology is fake, that's not a good one.

It really doesn't matter, it's Conor. He wouldn't apologize - he's a monster. He did - nothing better.

That's not why conor love tapped him...conor hit him, cause of what the guy said...all the guy had to say was no thank you...but instead he got mouthy...there was no need for that...conor was being nice...and offering him a free drink...instead, the guy insults conor and his product...

Are you outta your MF'ing mind? So poor Conor was just being nice but the mean little old man wasnt so lil Conor had no choice but to pop him in the mouth...Nice spin and utter bullshite

Heres a hypothetical for ya:

~Old guys sitting in the park minding his own business reading his paper on a nice breezy Sunday morning. Bunch of thugs pull up blaring Rap at mind numbing volume right next to him. They notice he seems irritated and confront him "Yo! You like our music right old man?!" He shakes his head no in which they say "Yo! Why the fuck you dont like our music old man -you racist!?". He looks at them and goes "Because its utter garbage -not music" In which they proceed to pummel him in the head.~

Why couldnt that old man just be nice? It was HIS fault for not just enjoying the free entertainment these fine young men were offering. He deserved it.

How is this even debatable? Of course it was a PR move. That should be obvious to anyone regardless of how they feel about Conor.

Nobody wants to be an asshole getting sued all the time, so I think he was sincere. Not saying he will learn his lessons, but I believe he would like to be less volitile and be a better person.

Everything was fake. From his excuses to his overdone accent.

Sherdogger's with decent IQ would know that if he genuinely felt bad for the man, he would have apologized back in March / April when the actual event took place, not days after the video was leaked.

There's a long list of fighters ready to bash Conor's face in over this

If he views an old man minding his own business and turning down a free drink as "bait" then he's lost. Someone not doing what you want isn't a slight in any way shape or form and the fact that he sees it that way is totally ridiculous.

Back