Conspiracy Theory: UFC doesn't want BB as their HW champ.

Ahhhh...yes, the complete lack of evidence is the surest sign a conspiracy is afoot. This is the motto of Sherdog (along with "Man muscles = good!")

Jarl

Why would you want the guy with most KO's in UFC history as your champ lol.

MiserlyAbandonedGyrfalcon-size_restricted.gif

I think OP has a point. Imagine everyone hearing the Heavyweight champion is an overweight, eats KFC for a living and has a style where he hibernates against “skilled” opponents every 2 minutes, throw 3 bombs then goes back to hibernation. Not to mention, he doesn’t act like a star and has a reserved life unlike Ngannou.

Last edited:
It amazes me that everyone thinks that the UFC has this magical promotional wand.

You guys seriously believe that the UFC can just make superstars at will and just continually choose not to?

Stars are made by the fans and word of mouth. Not because the UFC uploads more videos for fighter x vs fighter y.

You people seriously claim the UFC never promoted Mighty Mouse. He headlined like 8 PPVs and 4 Fox shows or something like that. He had 12 headlining spots, 12 Prefight videos, 12 fight leadups to post about, etc etc. He didn't become a star because he's not interesting.

I mean do you guys also think that movie A is a blockbuster and movie B sells 5 tickets because the movie company simply didn't put out enough commercials or hang up enough posters for movie B? So the movie company knows that they just need to hang up more posters....and they just refuse to and keep letting movies bomb?

And you think record companies just keep signing artists then not promoting them because record companies just hate money?

How does someone get popular on youtube.....they don't have commercials, or posters or lead up videos shown on TV.

Replace the word promotion with shareability, maybe it's easier to understand then. Fighters, movies, songs, tv shows, etc etc become popular because they have "shareability". Something about the product is interesting, exciting, etc that makes people want to share it with a friend. That's how shit becomes popular. And each different subject has a different formula for what makes it shareable. For MMA the formula for shareability mainly involves 3 things: quoteablity, highlight reel and "a look". If you have 1 of the 3 you can be popular, 2 of the 3 you can be a star, all 3 you can be a superstar.

This picture is a perfect example that proves it's not promotion from the UFC that makes a star. 12 fighters on stage, 3 championship fights. The UFC provided the platform for all the fighters, brought the media. I guarantee you that a shitload of casuals know a quote from this press conference. Why? Shareability. It was funny and got passed aroumd. So the UFC provided the platform to 12 fighters. 1 of them siezed it. Did the UFC promote Conor and make the clip go viral? Did Conor promote himself? Did the other fighters not promote themselves? Did people who shared the video promote the fight? I bet you at least 1 fighter on that stage shared the clip of Conor saying "Who da fook is that guy?" and at the same time didn't even post a video of themselves answering a question.

So in the end the biggest promotion for this fight was an off the cuff comment made by Conor to a guy he wasn't even fighting (Jeremy Stephens). It wasn't something the UFC did.

Presser.jpg

Last edited:
I think they might want Gane as champ, despite him having a safe fighting style.

Francis started talking money immediately after he got the title, and Lewis will do the same. Gane seems more like a company man.

Yeah URC sucks at promoting . Francis ‘ story should be a damn movie and nobody outside ufc knows him yet know punk ass Conor and the Paul bros. Go figure . Hmmm...what could Conor and the Paul bros have in common ?!
I don’t get the comparison didn’t the YouTube kid make himself a name off his own work whereas Conors superstardom owes a a huge part to the UFC pushing him. Doesn’t bode well for Frank if he’s already turning down fights, guy isn’t as big as Jones let alone Conor to be turning fights down.

I think this is true to some extent. Why would the UFC want new champs after 1-2 title defenses? Ngannou just won the title, they for sure do not want Lewis to land a fluke KO blow on Ngannou. Especially considering BB isn't exactly dominant, if he were to become the champ then there are several fighters that would be the favourite against him. I think the UFC prefers consistency, especially when they have a champ who seemingly may be a step ahead of the competition and can sell cards.

So they are sending A boring ish fighter to knock off an entertaining fighter ....seems right

It’s a good theory but I’ve got another one. The UFC didn’t like Francis comments about fighter pay, just like they didn’t like Jones, and now they are fucking him over to set an example for other fighters.

Unless you can think of another time they setup an interim belt 3 months after a guy became champ who was willing to fight less than 6 months later. Yeah it’s never happened because it doesn’t make any fucking sense and is just a power ploy.
This to me, is absolutely why this is happening.

I kinda think the opposite. This is a good chance for him to get some gold and face Francis in 3-6 months.

Yeah URC sucks at promoting . Francis ‘ story should be a damn movie and nobody outside ufc knows him yet know punk ass Conor and the Paul bros. Go figure . Hmmm...what could Conor and the Paul bros have in common ?!
None of them can box, none of them will ever defend a belt, and at least two of the three would be half as famous if it wasn't for Mayweather.

That's the reason for this interim belt. There is always a chance that he knocks out Francis & they don't wanna lose Francis as their HW champion. A HW champion someone like Lewis is just awful for visual. That's how UFC protects Ngannou while sending Gane to take care of him.

Besides a Fight between Ngannou & Gane is more interesting; it has a narrative. With this fight UFC can have a huge opening in France.

This theory is just crazy. Black Beast is the most marketable HW they have. The dude is hilarious and super media friendly. Think about it from the UFC's perspective - who would you want to send to do the media rounds out of Lewis, Ngannou, Gane or Miocic? Who's more likely to release viral soundbites and drum up clicks, views and interest in your product? It's Black Beast all fucking day.

Plus he's an exciting knockout artist and he plays ball with the UFC, he's just happy to be there. Very easy to control.

I think they only done the interim belt coz they put this card in Houston and need Lewis to top the card.

Agent: "Frank won't fight BB in Houston for that low of a number. Can we fix it?".

Dana:"Yes, we can!"

(Books Gane vs BB for an interim).

Bob the builder knows what's up.

Black Beast already beat Ngannou easily 30-27, just give him the belt

Then why would they give him an interim? They'd just make it a number one contender fight wouldn't they? How much did you think this one through?

Back