• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

International Coronavirus, v5: China hits back at American "coronavirus overreaction", issue travel warning for US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind, "There is no coronavirus in the People's Democratic Republic of Korea".

Oh to be a spy sattelite operator and be able to zoom in down on North Korea right now...

Im not denying is serious

I even believe is worse than current projections and that China is telling us half of half of the truth lol

No doubt will reach rest of Italy, no doubt it's just the begin

But as we speak it's not the world ending zombie apocalypse social media is trying to sell

A car crash is waaaaaaaaaay more likely to kill me, yet i drive a car essentially every day of my life
<Fedor23>

I don't think anyone is saying this is an extinction event but gdamn bro, the last thing any of us wants to see is a global recession or depression plus the deaths of who knows how many people, could turn out mild or turn out with millions dead. I will say this, during my lifetime, which is pretty lengthy, I've never seen anything like this in terms of global pandemic. Entire towns and cities being shut down? Never seen anything like it.

And still nowhere near the level of panic retardness i'm seeing around

At least as we speak, the virus rarely kill, and when it does large majority of times is very old and weakened people (maybe with other diseases going on)

Here we are at 7 dead, all over 80 iirc (or close), one with cancer going on

It's essentially over hyped aggressive flu in combo with social media retardness panic

Is serious? yes
Still the reaction is not proportional at all
Agree but you are going to get a lot of shit because of that here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/harvard-scientist-predicts-coronavirus-infect-195800282.html so thanks to China we might have a second annual flu season. This is already so spread, and unless it burns out due to a miracle, it'll be a regular disease like the flu

Saying that almost normalizes the thought. We definitely do not want to have Covid-19 season every year. Think about it, this virus already has a mortality rate of 1-3% depending on who you ask, with 3% being particularly scary. If it has annual season and mutates and jumps to a 5% mortality rate, or God forbid higher, its going to fuck us up like a Edson Barboza wheel kick to the dome at some point. Even if it just stays at 2% mortality, it currently threatening to shut down the global economy.

It's a good thing the global financial system is built on a rock solid foundation and not ridiculously cheap loans and debt financed growth

Honestly the best thing for that bubble and the central banks is for people to be under the impression it was a virus and not our smoke and mirror economic system..so they can rinse and repeat after the next wave of bailouts

That's pretty edgelord. You are telling me that a worldwide bailout similar to the 2008 crisis is coming and its going to be blamed on a virus to trick us all...meaning the virus is a set up of Ocean 11 proportions.

How South Korea’s Coronavirus Outbreak Got so Quickly out of Control
By STEVEN BOROWIEC / SEOUL | February 24, 2020

Buses and subways in Seoul, the normally crowded South Korean capital, were unusually quiet on Monday, and social media was filled with posts with the hashtag “work from home.” South Koreans work some of the longest hours in the world, and companies tend to frown on allowing employees to telecommute.

This drastic departure from the conventions of corporate culture are a sign of how the country is scrambling to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The country’s public health authorities have for the past several days reported drastic increases in the number of cases here, with 231 new cases on Monday, bringing the total number to 833, with more than 11,600 people undergoing diagnostic testing. Seven South Koreans infected with the virus, called COVID-19, have died. The country of 51 million people now has the highest number of coronavirus cases outside mainland China.

At a briefing Monday afternoon, Jung Eun-kyeong, chief of South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, called on South Koreans to limit any outdoor activities and refrain from inter-city travel.

She and other South Korean officials are remaining outwardly calm, but there is a growing sense of fear that, with each of the past several days bringing a sharp increase in the number of cases, the outbreak of COVID-19 may be reaching epidemic levels, with the government having missed the opportunity to contain it.

While most cases in South Korea are concentrated in the southeastern city of Daegu, 150 miles from the capital Seoul, Sunday also brought the troubling news that cases have also been reported in Gwangju, a city in the southwest, and the island of Jeju off the south coast, raising fears of a broader spread of the virus.

On the streets of South Korean cities, the scent of disinfectant hangs in the air, as crews circulated—spraying chemicals meant to kill pathogens. Nearly all stairwells, subway stations and coffee shops now make hand sanitizer available at entrances. The few people plying the subway are nearly all clad in masks and moving with a sense of jittery urgency.

At the center of the outbreak is Shincheonji Church of Jesus, an eccentric religious group based in Daegu. More than half of South Korea’s coronavirus cases are linked to Shincheonji members, and more 9,000 members are in quarantine, the government has said.

After remaining mostly silent since the outbreak, Shincheonji posted a video response to its website on Sunday. In the video, a man identified as Kim Shi-mon said the church is doing everything possible to limit the spread of the virus, including suspending operations at its churches. He asked that individuals and media outlets refrain from disseminating false or unconfirmed information on the church.

“We, along with other Koreans, are victims of this outbreak,” Kim said.

In the aftermath of the outbreak, Shincheonji came under intense scrutiny, as a woman that South Korean media are now calling a “super spreader” reportedly refused to be tested for COVID-19, despite having shown symptoms. The church has been a subject of lurid fascination in South Korea since at least 2007, when a major broadcaster ran a documentary on the group and its practices, including claims by Shincheonji’s leader, Lee Man-hee, to be immortal.

The combination of the group’s opacity and custom of gathering for crowded, enthusiastic worship services, could make containing the virus more difficult, experts have said.

“Shincheonji members hide who they are so that their friends and even their family members do not know they belong to the church. Now the government is unable to contact hundreds of Shincheonji members who attended the Daegu church,” said Ji-il Tark, a professor of theology at Busan Presbyterian University.

“It might be painful and difficult to disclose they are Shincheonji members because that means they lied to their loved ones so that there is a possibility they could stay in danger of infection, which is the most scary scenario,” Ji told TIME.

The teachings of Shincheonji may also make members less likely to exercise caution in seeking to prevent the spread of the virus. “The group is quite secretive and deceptive. They certainly believe their leader is immortal and they’re pretty much promised eternal life,” said Peter Daley, an English instructor at a university in Seoul and tracker of unconventional religious sects.

As the outbreak worsens, a growing chorus of critics have decried the South Korean government’s handling of the virus, accusing the administration of President Moon Jae-in of not recognizing the danger posed by the coronavirus.

“The coronavirus situation spun out of control as the president was mired in optimism, saying that the outbreak wouldn’t last long,” the right-wing Chosun Ilbo newspaper wrote in an editorial, adding, “If we can’t block the virus, the whole country will be in danger.”

Kim Seung-dong, an opposition politician in Daegu, held a public protest on Friday, brandishing a sign that read, with some hyperbole, “Everyone in Daegu is dying of the ‘Moon Jae-in Virus.’”

“This administration must be held accountable for failing to respond early to the coronavirus,” Kim wrote on his Facebook page.

Much of that criticism has honed in on the government’s decision to not ban all Chinese nationals from entering South Korea. A petition to do just that on the website of the presidential office currently has more than 760,000 signatures. It calls on the South Korean government to follow the example of North Korea and seal off its borders.

China is South Korea’s largest trading partner, and some critics have accused Moon of failing to protect public health due to fears that a comprehensive entry ban would displease the Chinese government. By contrast, Taiwan has banned nearly all travelers from mainland China, while Hong Kong has suspended most border crossings with the mainland.

On Sunday, Moon raised South Korea’s public alert to its highest level, and urged public officials to take the strongest measures to contain the outbreak.

A major reason for the rapid surge in confirmed coronavirus cases is the relative openness and transparency of South Korean society. “The number of cases in South Korea seems high at least in part because the country has high diagnostic capability, a free press and a democratically accountable system. Very few countries in the region have all those,” said Andray Abrahamian, a visiting scholar at George Mason University Korea.

On Saturday, the State Department raised its travel advisory for South Korea to Level 2, recommending U.S. nationals “exercise increased caution” in the country, by avoiding contact with sick people and frequently sanitizing their hands. In late January, the State Department raised its advisory for China to the highest level, “Do not travel.”

https://time.com/5789596/south-korea-coronavirus-outbreak/?amp=true

Honestly the market has been up for one of the longest times in the history of capitalism. A correction was far over due and we would have had one this year if not for the stealth bailout that is the repo market.

We are about to see some huge hits and the recession is coming boyos. This shit hasn't even rocked Europe or the US yet..

Saying that almost normalizes the thought. We definitely do not want to have Covid-19 season every year. Think about it, this virus already has a mortality rate of 1-3% depending on who you ask, with 3% being particularly scary. If it has annual season and mutates and jumps to a 5% mortality rate, or God forbid higher, its going to fuck us up like a Edson Barboza wheel kick to the dome at some point. Even if it just stays at 2% mortality, it currently threatening to shut down the global economy.
Yep. This might be the new nornalw. It's very frightening. I'm worried about it just once. Even though I'm not yet 40, I have a heart condition that will probably mean that once I get Corona and the hospital here will insist I stay home til serious. That means I'm dead in all honesty.
I blame all if this at the feet of the Chinese government. Filthy communists are quite likely to kill someone we know this year.

Yep. This might be the new nornalw. It's very frightening. I'm worried about it just once. Even though I'm not yet 40, I have a heart condition that will probably mean that once I get Corona and the hospital here will insist I stay home til serious. That means I'm dead in all honesty.
I blame all if this at the feet of the Chinese government. Filthy communists are quite likely to kill someone we know this year.

No way, motherfucker. You'll be fine, Sherbro. And yes, fuck all communists wherever they may be.

Good luck to my friend who flew to thailand for 2 weeks yesterday lol

No way, motherfucker. You'll be fine, Sherbro. And yes, fuck all communists wherever they may be.
I hope so. The news just showed that if you're sick stay at home and if the symptoms get really bad, then you go to the hospital. Which means only end care for me. I hope I'm ok. I just want all you to know if I die, remember me by never forgiving china's government.

The Italians' relaxing attitude in v5 is notably similar to the Koreans and Japanese back in v3.

Police officers in charge of quarantine zones don't even have facemasks, nor does it seems like this containment is even remotelly resembles a serious attempt, and common-sense preparation still seems "silly" to the people.

We shall see if there will be a change to this cavalier attitude in a week, as it was the case for the Koreans.

Italy's coronavirus 'red zone' gets used to life under quarantine

Cécile FEUILLATRE AFP | February 24, 2020​

6db6d0841f0e97d368581cd5b4e20969b1d5b783.jpg

Italy has demarcated a "red zone," where the centres of infection have been identified, preventing all traffic from entering or leaving with exemptions for those such as police, medical personnel and lorries carrying essential supplies

At the edge of the northern Italian town of Casalpusterlungo, residents are slowly getting used to the isolation measures descending around towns like theirs, the centres of Italy's outbreak of the new coronavirus.

Here the frontline of the fight against the virus is an unassuming roundabout in the middle of the Lombard plain.

Two of the roads leading up to it are blocked by police cars.

An officer -- not wearing a mask -- automatically covers his face with a scarf as he approaches drivers.

Beyond this point is the "red zone", where the centres of infection have been identified.

Italy has become the first European country to take drastic isolation measures as it grapples to get its COVID-19 outbreak under control.

Since Sunday more than 50,000 residents in 11 towns in northern Italy have been put under quarantine.

In theory, virtually all traffic is banned from entering the "red zone", with exemptions for those such as police, medical personnel and lorries carrying essential supplies.

The same goes for those leaving, although AFP saw certain vehicles and cyclists being allowed through the cordon.

"They're not residents in the area, they're just passing through," explains a soldier, while admitting that there is a still a margin of flexibility while the quarantine measures are being put in place.

However, many motorists and lorry drivers were turned away, prompting the odd heated reaction.

"Where am I meant to go, what do I do?" asked one, adding: "Country of idiots!" as he turned away.

Nevertheless the soldier insists: "The residents have generally been very cooperative."

Italy has recorded five deaths since Friday, with more than 200 cases of infection.

In the Lombardy region, the capital of which is Milan, authorities have closed schools for a week and cancelled all cultural and sporting events.

But at the edges of the red zone, for the moment any fears are being kept in check.

"If we started being scared, what would happen?" asks a smiling Gianluca Bragalini, who works for a drinking water distribution company and was preparing to go into the red zone with around ten other colleagues.

"We have to guarantee that public services keep running," he says, adding: "Can you imagine what would happen if drinking water started to run out?"

Meanwhile, others are looking out for four-legged residents under lockdown.

Angela Grechi, from a local cat protection association, has arrived on foot at the roundabout in an attempt to deliver food for 80 cats in Somaglia, one of the towns in the red zone.

She admits it might seem "silly" to be worrying about cats but says their food supply is about to run out.

"I was hoping to deliver the food here but you need an authorisation from the local prefecture," she sighs.

- 'Absurd situation' -

A few kilometres on from Casalpusterlengo, another roundabout, another checkpoint.

Again the atmosphere is calm but presents some unsettling scenes, like the ambulance speeding into the red zone with a driver wearing a full-body protection suit and a mask over his face.

Stefano Medaglia, a 32-year-old carpenter, arrives at the roundabout on foot, along with his wife and their baby in a pram.

"We're keeping our distance from other people, we're taking precautions," says Medaglia, from Bertonico, one of the towns under quarantine.

"It's calm there, there's no panic. But it's a strange, absurd situation," he says, adding that he fears for his family business in Somaglia.

"I came to ask the police if it's possible to move within the red zone from one town to another," he explains.

He has to make to do with a vague answer.

Here again the rules governing which vehicles are allowed in don't appear entirely clear.

"As long as they stay on the main roads, it's fine, they just need to avoid going into the villages on the small roads," explains a policeman.

But how can they check who's going where?

He answers with a shrug.

https://news.yahoo.com/italys-coronavirus-red-zone-gets-used-life-under-133922676.html

Last edited:
I hope so. The news just showed that if you're sick stay at home and if the symptoms get really bad, then you go to the hospital. Which means only end care for me. I hope I'm ok. I just want all you to know if I die, remember me by never forgiving china's government.

Stay safe, man. God bless you and your family. You're a good dude.

Reading the twitter feed of BNO News literally feels like we're in real-life Plague inc game.

They're going into production on a vaccine in Australia. Hopefully they got it right, but thousands of trained scientists are working on finding one right this second. That might be a comforting thought.. Any personal worry for me sort of melts when I think of the medical personnel walking into enemy lines day after day, the people cleaning the rooms, instruments etc. Gotta bust out of the tunnel vision if it's only compounding stress and not helping us prepare, putting ourselves in other's shoes is a reliable method

Chill

Start writing stuff like this when you are in a hospital

Chill

Start writing stuff like this when you are in a hospital
Word man. Just saying I want China to be held responsible. If there is Corona next year, I hope people will have the mind set to realize that it was from China being reckless, not an oh well situation

Reading the twitter feed of BNO News literally feels like we're in real-life Plague inc game.

Hilariously that game was built to study the spread of new disease, as nobody can fuck the planet faster than gamers.s

Good luck to my friend who flew to thailand for 2 weeks yesterday lol

A friend at work just got back from Thailand. He had a layover in China both ways. He was told not to come back to work for 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back