International Coronavirus, v5: China hits back at American "coronavirus overreaction", issue travel warning for US

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the meantime it seens UAE is now denying all Entries from Iran.

Why do I have a feeling we are not being told the magnitude of this pandemic.

I am at work rightnow in our Travel Agebcy and I have a bunch of Iran based clients asking me for information about flights because as of now they said they have been given conflicting info by Iran Air.

And when I call the Airline in Tehran I dont even get the usual voice prompt but just a few ringa and then gets disconected.

And some of their websites are down.

What the hell is going on there?

You can't get a clear answer probably because they're not sure themselves. The number of countries restricting (or outright banning) travelers to and from Iran are increasing each day.

As of this moment, it includes: Afghanistian, Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turrkey, and UAE.

Also, Iranian Health Ministry from Tehran has now prohibited Qom city officials from publishing new statistic of new infections and deaths in their city, which is the outbreak epicenter in Iran, so people are treating Iranian stats to be just as believable as Chinese stats.

The head of Qom's Medical Science University, Mohammad Reza Ghadir, said on Iranian state television that the Health Ministry in Tehran had banned releasing figures on the coronavirus outbreak in the city.

When asked how many people had been placed in quarantine, Ghadir said "the health ministry has told us not to announce any new statistics."

If you look at the foundational premise that is currently dominant in this thread, it seems to be reducible to "We're all gonna die". Every caution stems from there...

I'd propose two things: First, that this will become the dominant premise of the world, which will become the source of all reactions. Second, that this is a fallacy. The preliminary mathematical models are not only showing that equilibrium is in sight (that means the virus will been eradicated) but they also show that the probability of you (specifically you) surviving is good.

Of course, time will tell the fairy-tale. Variables will continue to inflow and new equations will continue to developed. Our understanding of this situation will mature and equations will be specialized for each locality as specific reservoirs are defined in context with the capabilities of the host government's ability to contain the problem at hand.

What should and should not be?

We should not think that Wuhan's inability to extinguish the fire they were unprepared for will predict our own specific local pre-informed capabilities. We should expect a lesser impact on our own communities because of a well informed public, supply distributors for precautionary measures, and local government preparations.

Bottom line: be the difference you, pussy. Educate yourself and talk to people. Put together supply kits, offer them for sale and make a buck. Don't be irrational and divide the people around you if/when things begin to develop. Be the solution.

Sudo-Genki-Hero4-8.jpg

Last edited:
If you look at the foundational premise that is currently dominant in this thread, it seems to be reducible to "We're all gonna die".

If that's really your deduction, then you probably didn't read the thread at all :)

There's not a single person here believes he would die. If you disagree, let's see if you can go ahead and try to name ONE regular contributor to this thread who actually fits the premise that you've just made up! :cool:

Even those who are informed and concerned enough about this epidemic to dropped a few bucks on face masks did so because they don't want their family to get horribly sick and hauled off to be quarantined if somebody eventually brings it to their town, or add some extra non-perishable food and water to their pantry because they knows the stores gonna be cleaned out immediately if that actually happens (which is a distinct possibility in the U.S, at least according to the CDC). And they know all their supplies can be used later when this wave has passed, so nothing in their preparation is really unnecessary or wasted.

So, I will have to disagree with you, and say that the foundational premise dominant in this thread from the very beginning is actually "hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and trust that our country will do much better than China". At least according to all the posts that I have read from v1 to now. That rationality is good enough of a premise to deal with this epidemic, I think - or any other kind of disasters in general, really.

In any kind of disasters, common sense and good preparation before the shit hits the fan beats hysteria and denial any day, and I for am glad that 99% of the posters here are of the rational and informed variety (the other 1% are the "just the flu, nothing to see here" bros who do occasionally turns up, try to sounds smarter than everyone else - without actually knowing anything about what's happening around the world - but ends up being all insulting/offensive/ignorant like a pompous anti-vaxxer instead, and promptly get curbed-stomped by the entire village).

The response below was previous written for another rational guy who unfortunately didn't read the thread, made some assumptions about other people, and doesn't understand why everyone are immediately pissed at him. I think it would be useful for you as well, since you also seems like a rational guy who didn't really read the thread from the beginning and thus doesn't realize what kind of people are sitting at the discussion table that he's just joined in:

The problem is you don't actually read the thread closely enough to realize the simple fact that the vast majority of people here are NOT panicking like you assume they are.

99% of the regular contributors here are well-informed, rightfully concerned, and making the appropriate precautions and preparations that the CDC recommends.

Does that sounds panicky to you? Or just good thinking?

Did you see the segment about the "panicked" people here having an informed discussion on the scientific standards in testing mask types? Ofcourse you didn't, but what they all concluded that it can't hurt to drop a few bucks to get a few packs, and if their city make it through this epidemic unscathed, then the same masks can be used when they work on their house (sawing wood, sanding, painting, mowing the lawn in allergy season, etc).

Same with that extra box of ramen and the case of water that they got (which is similar to how rational Californians have food/drinks in our earthquake preparation box and people in the East coast stock up before they are hit by the annual hurricane season). If the supplies are not used now, then they can always be used in a camping trip later.

Or do you think people here are "panicking" because they are sharing the latest information in a Breaking News thread...?

It's important to note that only REAL news are welcomed here, and the sensationalized/misleading/fearmongering/trolling/blatantly fake tabloid stuff are frowned upon here, and are quickly deleted.

All of these ground rules are already spelled out in the OP, which clearly say what kind of people and content are welcomed in this discussion - and what are not. But I doubt you have actually read that either.

So yeah, those are the rational people who have been participating in this discussion from the very beginning that you are pissing off, as you occasionally jumps in here face-first without reading anything and wave that "panic" hat around.

At the same time, we DO have the occasion influx of the "Just The Flu" bros who are actively trying to sounds smart by constantly downplaying this epidemic and undermining other people efforts to take precautionary measures, by completely brushing off all medical and scientific concerns while accusing other people of panicking/overreacting/crazy. They are one step above anti-vaxxers to be honest, and you are unlucky to unintentionally lumping yourself in the same boat as them without realizing it, by taking a stance next to them (who absolutely exists) to enlighten the "panicking people" (who don't actually exists).

So yeah, things would have been very different had you bothered to read the thread before posting. That's what you did wrong.

Looking forward to more contributions from you to our discussion later, after you've read the thread, starting from here. Cheers! :cool:

Last edited:
You know what they say about false positives and false negatives... one is better than the other.

I had a sore throat on christmas day, then had a fever and it led to a really bad chest infection that lasted until 18th Jan. It was so bad i was put on steroids for 8 days.

If that was now id think i had wuflu lol

My belief is that the Western governments are concealing their cases. They want to avoid panic and large economic losses. If you believe our governments are much more honest and transparent than China with the average citizen’s interests at heart then you’re mistaken. They could care less and would prolong until it's not feasible.

It can, and I believe it is, be a lot worse than it is. Not everyone is screened and with globalization this is suicide, there’s bound to be numerous transmissions due to nature of how connected we are.
Living in London I find it difficult to comprehend we don’t have so many more. Thousands of people arrive and leave everyday from every corner of the world. International cities are at risk, Milan you could say is much like London, but there’s a big difference in confirmed cases. Any outbreaks here shouldn’t be shocking.

If you guys are so convinced this is no big deal, or a media generated fear campaign, why do you two frequent these threads so often?
I have nothing to do at work (only 3 days left here) and kind of anxious because I'm moving overseas but my work papers and visa are not ready yet... so it's nice to have something to follow to clear my mind.

The subject is interesting tho. But I don't share the paranoia and I'm not prepping at all.

Let me ask you a straight up question, no set ups, ambushes or "gotcha questions"

At what point would you take a pandemic or epidemic more seriously?

Would it be the death count?

An almost complete ban on air travel and sealing off borders?

The rate of death and/or contagion?

At what point would you be like, "holy shit, this may be for real!"

there is no point in which people like this troll will ever admit worry. While in the ICU his final words would be, “it’s just a glorified flu...”

We should as a world say let's not visit each other for a month

/issues

There's not a single person here believes he would die.
I'm sure many of us have little ones and older ones who have a higher risk of dying. So nothing wrong with being worried about this.

I'd hate to have to quarantine my cats if us humans get it and have to send them meat slices under a door <DCrying><DCrying><DCrying>

50% still a good buffer when reducing the spread of the virus.

37.1%, and quite frankly I'm amazed its that high.

Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) to estimate flu vaccination coverage for the U.S. population of adults aged ≥18 years during the 2017–18 flu season. Flu vaccination coverage among adults was 37.1%, a decrease of 6.2 percentage points from the previous flu season.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/coverage-1718estimates.htm

China is withholding stats and reopening Apple stores. Here's the thing, quarantine doesn't work so we might as well take the 2-15% hit and get back to work.

Bruh, Spanish flu infected one third of Earth's population, which at the time was 500 million people. One third of Earth's population now is 2 billion people. 2% of 2 billion is 40 million deaths. If you raise it to just 3% its 60 million deaths. If the hospitals become overwhelmed, which they would in that scenario and it raises even to just 4%, that's 80,000,000 deaths. 10% at that point would be 200,000,000 deaths and a true zombie apocalypse...

You sure you want to stop trying so soon?

Can my cats get it?

Serious question

Look at these little guys

image.png.c89f216908be3984ce6ae2354dba8939.png

image.png.09847c16eb2e845469b15031fe2d9f67.png

I don't know but China is beating dogs to death with clubs during this outbreak in Wuhan.

Bruh, Spanish flu infected one third of Earth's population, which at the time was 500 million people. One third of Earth's population now is 2 billion people. 2% of 2 billion is 40 million deaths. If you raise it to just 3% its 60 million deaths. If the hospitals become overwhelmed, which they would in that scenario and it raises even to just 4%, that's 80,000,000 deaths. 10% at that point would be 200,000,000 deaths and a true zombie apocalypse...

You sure you want to stop trying so soon?

Also I believe it was called the Spanish Flu because the Spanish Press was the only one really reporting on the epidemic as other Western countries were embroiled in WWI and didn't want to seem weak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back