Corrupt ref saved ko

Lots of people calling the ref out but only for what didn't benefit their favorite.
There are posts from people that said the ref had lapses with both guys. Plenty of posters dislike Haney & Garcia at the same time.

The narratives on here at times. Lol

The problem with the clinching is that Garcia accepted the clinches instead of trying to fight out. If you clinch and the other guy clinches back, the ref should break it. You can't take a point from one guy for what both are doing. And as for "working out of the clinch", once one guy clobbers the other on the back of the head, the ref has no choice. You have to break it.
that's just not true. ryan was trying to throw punches. the ref wouldn't allow it. he was jumping in the second there was any clinching whatsoever which meant ryan couldn't fight out of it.

edit: for the record he was doing this to both guys, it just seemed to harm garcia's chances the most.

Last edited:
You can't take a point from one guy for what both are doing
Didn't the ref take a point from Garcia because he threw a punch while they were in the clinch and the ref was breaking them up?

That punch was too obvious for the ref to ignore.

But those constant clinches would have made any fighter(s) frustrated so its understandable.

Didn't the ref take a point from Garcia because he threw a punch while they were in the clinch and the ref was breaking them up?

That punch was too obvious for the ref to ignore.

But those constant clinches would have made any fighter(s) frustrated so its understandable.
I don't disagree but clinching in itself is not illegal. There were times when both fighters refused to break a clinch, and THAT is illegal.

the only criticism i have of the ref is that he wasn't more stern with both.

and am i the only one who saw ryan hold on to clinches for a long ass time, even when devin was the one who initiated them? the ref literally had to pry his fucking arms apart a couple of times.

the whole fight was baffling, but i don't really blame the ref. he was in there with two assholes who wouldn't obey and since it's a high profile title fight, he can't just stop the fight and send everyone packing.

It wasn't a great performance by the referee. Some mistakes from both sides. Should have had a firm word for the fouls.

Honestly I think Haney would have come off a lot worse if it wasn't for the hugging and holding. Garcia had Haney measured in the exchanges. Haney really isn't pretty to watch at all but his style is effective.

Garcia had Haney measured in the exchanges.
Stretching his arm out was a way for him to gauge distance and to anticipate possible actions from the opponent didn't he?

It was bad, fix was in. Thankfully it’s hard to rob someone who scores multiple knockdowns and hurts his opponent. Boxing is so corrupt I still thought Haney might get the decision at the end.

Which instance are you talking about? When the ref took the point from Garcia?

One of the worst and most corrupt ref performances in recent memory and you are defending it. No surprise. Even when its blatantly obvious you still don't get it. That ref should be investigated and banned for life. Thats how you deal with corruption.

It was bad, fix was in. Thankfully it’s hard to rob someone who scores multiple knockdowns and hurts his opponent. Boxing is so corrupt I still thought Haney might get the decision at the end.

Ya first card being read as a draw had me wondering too ...i was like are they really gunna?

One of the worst and most corrupt ref performances in recent memory and you are defending it. No surprise. Even when its blatantly obvious you still don't get it. That ref should be investigated and banned for life. Thats how you deal with corruption.

Corrupt or incompetent though?

For every "Haney was diving and hanging on to avoid the knockdown so Ryan was robbed of knockdowns" - which implies he at least had the legs and wits to lunge and hold btw)...

There is an equal absurdity of Ryan overdoing his turn away soft shell crab into a full back turn.

Both guys pushed the rules- Haney in a more conventional but annoying way- it's not illegal to end up in a clinch but is IS illegal to do it deliberately. Rare to see point deductions and we've all seen a few hug a thons.

Ryan pushed it in a weird way. I've honestly never seen the back turning to that extent and the ref even changed his mind halfway through from "don't punch his back" to "legal punches" since Ryan was spamming it and it was awful.

I'd say the ref lost control for sure. But corrupt is the go to squeal here and I'm not sure it was. Earlier point deductions with clearer warnings of impending deductions may have improved the bout and behaviour (but he's damned, earlier pt deductions still lead to squealing about a fix).

Not letting them fight out of a clinch was poor reffing.

Corrupt or incompetent though?

For every "Haney was diving and hanging on to avoid the knockdown so Ryan was robbed of knockdowns" - which implies he at least had the legs and wits to lunge and hold btw)...

There is an equal absurdity of Ryan overdoing his turn away soft shell crab into a full back turn.

Both guys pushed the rules- Haney in a more conventional but annoying way- it's not illegal to end up in a clinch but is IS illegal to do it deliberately. Rare to see point deductions and we've all seen a few hug a thons.

Ryan pushed it in a weird way. I've honestly never seen the back turning to that extent and the ref even changed his mind halfway through from "don't punch his back" to "legal punches" since Ryan was spamming it and it was awful.

I'd say the ref lost control for sure. But corrupt is the go to squeal here and I'm not sure it was. Earlier point deductions with clearer warnings of impending deductions may have improved the bout and behaviour (but he's damned, earlier pt deductions still lead to squealing about a fix).

Not letting them fight out of a clinch was poor reffing.

We need to stop excusing corruption with incompetence especially when it clearly favours 1 fighter. Ref ignored at least 2 clear knock downs. He gave Haney an absurd amount of time to recover in round 7. He stopped mid count to tell Ryan to step back when he was already across the ring. He refused to take a single point from Haney for blatant holding all fight. Instantly deducting a point from Ryan for hitting once while he was being clinched (when have you seen that before? no warning instant point). There was nothing gray about this, he was blatantly doing dodgy stuff.

As for Ryan turning his back. That is a gray area, and Ryan was getting away with it in his last fight also. Haney was not accidently hitting him in the back he was targeting it over and over which is not allowed. Ref was corrupt , period.

Last edited:
We need to stop excusing corruption with incompetence especially when it clearly favours 1 fighter. Ref ignored at least 2 clear knock downs. He gave Haney an absurd amount of time to recover in round 7. He stopped mid count to tell Ryan to step back when he was already across the ring. He refused to take a single point from Haney for blatant holding all fight. Instantly deducting a point from Ryan for hitting once while he was being clinched (when have you seen that before? no warning instant point). There was nothing gray about this, he was blatantly doing dodgy stuff.

As for Ryan turning his back. That is a gray area, and Ryan was getting away with it in his last fight also. Haney was not accidently hitting him in the back he was targeting it over and over which is not allowed. Ref was corrupt , period.

I think you are extremely one sided in your take on this

Not sure what leads you to believe this when Garcia was way ahead on the scorecards. He pretty much lost every round without a KD and couldn't have lost on the cards, even excluding the KDs.

Lmao @ Haney falling all over the damn canvas and it not getting called knockdown.

And taking a point from RyGOAT after he got sick of being tackled.

Stretching his arm out was a way for him to gauge distance and to anticipate possible actions from the opponent didn't he?
Which is also an illegal move which refs rarely pick up on

Obviously nothing but speculation and a hunch, but I felt the same way.

Round 7 was atrocious when it came to the sheer amount of holding Doc let Haney get away with. Garcia sees that Doc isn’t going to physically break them apart, so Garcia throws a punch. Doc then deducts a point which allows Haney even more time to recover.

Doc saved Haney from a brutal KO loss.

Back