Critique My Deadlift Form Please

What's the benefit on over/under or hook grip over straps?

They don't work your grip much, over/under can throw your technique off (specially sumo,it throws mine without a doubt), it can develop imbalances and puts you in a higher risk of injury. Hook grip hurts like a bitch and you'll need to tape your thumbs, no real downfall but no benefit either and a pin in the ass to tape.

I go double overhand until it doesn't hold on anymore then strap to the bar. I work my grip, and then I work my back and legs without the grip being an issue. My grip is fine, and I'm stronger and safer strapping.

I have no problem with people saying I strap because of... well.. everything you mentioned above. That's your choice. Just don't expect to receive much help from people who, generally speaking would like to help you (and TS) out. Strap all you want.

What's the benefit on over/under or hook grip over straps?

They don't work your grip much, over/under can throw your technique off (specially sumo,it throws mine without a doubt), it can develop imbalances and puts you in a higher risk of injury. Hook grip hurts like a bitch and you'll need to tape your thumbs, no real downfall but no benefit either and a pin in the ass to tape.

I go double overhand until it doesn't hold on anymore then strap to the bar. I work my grip, and then I work my back and legs without the grip being an issue. My grip is fine, and I'm stronger and safer strapping.

It never occurred to you that you can switch your mixed grip every set?

Look at all the guys pulling 8-900+ with a mixed grip. You're not a special snowflake. Do injuries happen? Sure. They're quite rare, though. Do you drive? A lot of people die while driving. You should walk, just to be safe.

Anything you can pull DOH isn't "working" your grip.

Yeah, holding on to a heavy bar with your hands doesn't work your grip. Tell that to everyone who says "you work your grip on your ramp-up sets with double overhand then switch to mix grip". A lot of powerlifters have switched to hook grip because the problems I've refereed about mixed grip. Also, a lot of people pull big weights with straps. Whats your point?

But again, after your appeals to manhood and all that noise you made, ¿whats the benefit again?

It never occurred to you that you can switch your mixed grip every set?

Look at all the guys pulling 8-900+ with a mixed grip. You're not a special snowflake. Do injuries happen? Sure. They're quite rare, though. Do you drive? A lot of people die while driving. You should walk, just to be safe.

Anything you can pull DOH isn't "working" your grip.
You can also die walking. Better to just not be born.

Tell that to everyone who says "you work your grip on your ramp-up sets with double overhand then switch to mix grip"

Who says this?

A lot of powerlifters have switched to hook grip because the problems I've refereed about mixed grip.

A lot? I'm curious about who they are. Do you have examples? The only one I can think of who used to pull mixed grip is Janis. She tore her bicep and pulls hook grip now.

Joe Sullivan also tore his bicep. He tried hook grip. He's now back to pulling mixed grip.

Not everyone's hands will allow them to pull hook grip.

whats the benefit again

I certainly gave you some that weren't simply appeals to manhood.

Mike Sinclair pulled hook grip once in a competition so he could qualify for nationals...

I just checked Viskovitz's log. He mentions his grip quite a bit. Weird, it's almost like his grip strength would be better if he didn't use straps for most/all of his heaviest sets...

Why do I even bother lol.

Last edited:
Because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want to help, you need to help.

Because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want to help, you need to help.

And then I discover I'm arguing with someone who's never even had my modest bench PR on the barbell and wonder why I don't check to see if they keep a log before engaging in conversation with them.

People worry about imbalances in lifting too much. In almost every sport, you are going to have a stance one specific way. Most people have their strength in a specific area. Not everything is done equally and perfectly balanced, and the last thing to worry about early in lifting is if your deadlift mixed grip is making you imbalanced.

People worry about imbalances in lifting too much. In almost every sport, you are going to have a stance one specific way. Most people have their strength in a specific area. Not everything is done equally and perfectly balanced, and the last thing to worry about early in lifting is if your deadlift mixed grip is making you imbalanced.

You can be guaranteed people who have never lifted or participated in any sort of athletic activity in their life still have imbalances.

I was a jumper in Uni, and never once worried that my one leg was going to be more jakt than the other one! even after thousands od jumps. My paddling friends don't worry about arm imbalances... People who post on the f13 should not be worried about imbalances caused by deadlifting.

do basketball player worry the one leg will be stronger than the other because they tend to favor one over the other when jumping?

Its a retarded argument played by weak people with no intention of, or they're uninterested in truly putting in the work to get stronger.

Worst case scenario, like Jim said switch your grip

I predict Viskovitz pulls a KylePulley on this thread.

People treat strength training like some fucking mystical entity that is only available to the chosen few. Those chosen few, my friend are the people who could navigate through the bullshit, who stopped making excuses for their shortcomings, soaked in the knowledge from those before them, committed to a process and put in the hard work. Most of what I read here today (and not only here) are the grumblings of an entitled generation who want an exercise that is easy to do with as little discomfort as possible but will provide gains with as little effort as possible.

I mention my grip because I want to track my grip, weird, ha? I can hold on to much more than my max if I go over/under, I just don't do it. I can double overhand near my max too, but not for reps. Grip strength isn't an issue. And that's gripping the bar on the smooth part. But hey Jim you checked mu log! I'm sure you now know more about myself than me.

Candito switched to hook grip. Layne norton hook grips. And Brad Ghillingan. And Steve Goggins. The setbacks of the mix grip are well established.

Starting Strength says you work your grip in the ramp ups. And well, a lot of other people too. But hey you think holding on to a bar until you can't isn't grip work, so whatever.

I'll leave a video and a quote from Greg Knuckols at that will be it regarding Jim (btw Greg is stronger than you, more knowledgeable than you and less of an idiot than you):

"For most people, most of the time, you should use straps as often as you want to or need to, and quite a bit more often than people typically do"

It's pretty easy:

1.- Mix grip increases the risk of injury on the biceps, my back, and throws my technique off (mine and a lot of sumo pullers).
2.- I can't be bothered to hook grip, and there's no benefit to it.
3.- Straps have no downfall, so I use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaw44
Back