Critique My Deadlift Form Please

Thanks for the common knowledge fact that is totally irrelevant because it's 2017, not 1862.

You also stated in regard to becoming overweight "It started to become acceptable when its not". This type of attitude is the single more plaguing attitude in todays society. "I Know whats best for you".

If I get down to 10% bodyfat, and decide I liked eating more and not being strict with my diet and decide to be overweight again. I will become overweight again. You do not have the same values and principles as everyone else. You do not have the same strengths and weakness's as everyone else. You do not enjoy and dislike the same things as everyone else. It is IMPOSSIBLE to say for certain what someone should or should not do with their life. You can only make suggestions on what you enjoy.

If someone chooses to be overweight make minimum wage and die in their early 40's overweight. Thats their decision. That life may make then happier then being in shape, making 100k, and dying in their 60's.

This is the point I'm trying to make about WL shoes. Regardless of if their optimal or not. I enjoy using them. So why should I make something less enjoyable? Why should I do it your way and not enjoy me life as much?

I will stop our conversation here. I understand you will never understand the above point. Because you think you know whats best for everyone else. Its the single most common and morally wrong thought behavior in society today.

I dont know your bodyweight and your leverages. Maybe you have crazy long arms and a short torso like Lamar Grant. Maybe your genetically more gifted then me and can recover more. Maybe you were on gear. Maybe you could have done better wrestling if you spent more time on the mat then lifting weights?

450DL would be BW x 2.5 DL for me. I think thats a reasonable assumption to think my deadlift will max out there before it I have to train it more therefore affecting my mat time and recovery. If I get to 450 and can continue to progress lifting once a week. I will, just a reasonable cap I put for an end game of where I'll end up.

This is your problem, man. You are just full of excuses. When others do well and lift more, then it's because they're genetically gifted or on on gear.

You continually sell yourself short, place the bar low, and then blame others for your failures.

Man up, put in the hard work, lift hard, train hard, and do better.

I don't have crazy long arms, I'm not genetically gifted, I've never been on gear, and lifting never negatively impacted my results in wrestling or boxing, it only produced positive results.

I don't give a shit if you want to limit yourself, if you want to use less than ideal training methods, if you want to wear weightlifting shoes, or if you want to shove a dildo up your ass really badly. We seriously just wanted to help you train better and get better results, but you've made it painfully clear you cannot accept the slightest criticism, and have no desire to actually get stronger.

Thank you for a well written and respectful response. I have deadlifted barefoot. I do have flat type shoes. Honestly as this point I prefer my WL shoes. I just feel strong in them. I feel like I can really dig my legs into the ground at the start of the lift. I've listened to the guys. when the weights start getting heavier (2x BW) maybe it will cause problems. If it does I'll just take the shoes off...But honestly I think overall this well help. It will help cue into getting more leg drive with or without the shoes. And finally I'm really enjoying pulling in these shoes. It feels good and I'm going to take every advantage I can to keep forming this habit of lifting regularly and trying to get into shape.

You'll have to stop referencing a 2xBW deadlift as "heavier".

2xBW is a great bench, not deadlift. A 2xBW deadlift is insanely easy to achieve. The bar could not be lower.

This is your problem, man. You are just full of excuses. When others do well and lift more, then it's because they're genetically gifted or on on gear.

You continually sell yourself short, place the bar low, and then blame others for your failures.

Man up, put in the hard work, lift hard, train hard, and do better.

I don't have crazy long arms, I'm not genetically gifted, I've never been on gear, and lifting never negatively impacted my results in wrestling or boxing, it only produced positive results.

I don't give a shit if you want to limit yourself, if you want to use less than ideal training methods, if you want to wear weightlifting shoes, or if you want to shove a dildo up your ass really badly. We seriously just wanted to help you train better and get better results, but you've made it painfully clear you cannot accept the slightest criticism, and have no desire to actually get stronger.

I disagree. I take critisim well. Every coach I've ever had said I'm very coachable. I just choose which advice to follow and which advice to ignore. This turned into a 10 page thread because your egos were so hurt i would hear your opinion on WL shoes while deadlifting and ignore it....

I think its sad. I've given my reasons. I've given some of my research.

As far as setting the bar low. I think a 2.5x BW DL isn't low. Like I said if I can improve that number when I get there I will. As long as it doesn't impact my primary focus.

So to summarize your above point...

Because I like to use WL shoes when deadlifting...

1. I can't take any criticism.
2. I have no desire to get stronger

Let Ego's go for fuck sakes. Your advice isn't king. Am I suppose to take your advice over Rippetoe? Over the guys I see deadlifting 500-700lbs in WL shoes, saying they like the shoes? If I say I feel stronger in them, then how can you say I don't? How? If You say my form is shit because of them, I say how can you know without seeing me deadlift barefoot? I always have had a problem with letting the bar be too far forward. It's a common beginner problem.

I just came to the realization I probably know more about Lifting them the majority of you...I certainly know more then Jim. I can tell from out conversation. Like I said before, knowing and doing are two different things.

Now I've wasted enough time. I need to get back to doing.

A 500 lb deadlift doesn't mean shit.

I still barely knew anything about lifting when I pulled 500. I think I was 6 months into consistent training.

You're at a stage where you don't know what you don't know.

Also, are you not aware of Rippetoe's general standing in the lifting community? You keep referencing him like the only information you've ever read about lifting is Starting Strength. And that ain't good.

I just came to the realization I probably know more about Lifting them the majority of you...I certainly know more then Jim. I can tell from out conversation. Like I said before, knowing and doing are two different things.

Now I've wasted enough time. I need to get back to doing.

This is definitely the answer.

I have a 1781 squat/bench/deadlift gym total and you have a 275x5 deadlift set.

You'll have to stop referencing a 2xBW deadlift as "heavier".

2xBW is a great bench, not deadlift. A 2xBW deadlift is insanely easy to achieve. The bar could not be lower.

LMAO this is a great time to leave. Show me a clip of a professional MMA fighter benching 2xBW. (while they were actively fighter, not before). Even if you do manage to find a clip. I can promise you he would be better off ditching off time in the weight room for time on the mat.

Just for fun I did some research to see what MMA Pro's were lifting. Couldn't find much besides Matt Hughes and Jon Jones and dan miller

Matts was asked

"What are your max out weights for bench, squat, deadlift, etc?"
He replied...

"I do not max out anymore, and have not for a long time.

Years ago: bench - 310, squat - 375, deadlift - 425

I get a lot of my power from my back, and body position. I can take a 240 pound guy, who would beat me in every lift badly, and grapple him and make him feel weak. I call that usable power and that has to do with body position and leverage. -Matt"

Matt walks around at 185-190 (during his fighting career...not sure how much he weighed "A long time ago..."

Video of Jon pulling 600lbs sumo. He's around 225-230 so thats slightly above 2.5 BW DL. But Jon has crazy long arms, great leveages for the deadlift. and you could also argue he's not natural after latest incident with USADA.

Jim Miller was lifting 425 at 160. Slightly above 2.5xBW

Jim, you don't have a sweet fucking clue what your talking about when it comes to lifting and how much time/effort you should put into it to supplement other sports.

LMAO this is a great time to leave. Show me a clip of a professional MMA fighter benching 2xBW. (while they were actively fighter, not before). Even if you do manage to find a clip. I can promise you he would be better off ditching off time in the weight room for time on the mat.

latest

Heres a video of Jon benching 315 (not really...guys hands were on bar the entire time) Which I admit is pretty impressive with his arm length. But still thats only 1.35x BW.....Jon is an A-level athlete. He's still barely lifting 2.6x BW DL and 1.35 x BW Bench....

So I should set me bar higher then arguably the best p4p fighter of all time? That seems legit Jim. Makes sense to me pal lmao..

How the fuck is everyone else letting him get away with spouting such BS? Yeah I understand you prob don't like me because I won't get down on my knees and worship you, but my god really?

Lmao I'll give credit where credit is due. You found a clip. We will ignore the fact that 600lb bench didn't help him in round 2 when his heart rate was maxing out and he prob couldn't bench 135.

Lmao I'll give credit where credit is due. You found a clip. We will ignore the fact that 600lb bench didn't help him in round 2 when his heart rate was maxing out and he prob couldn't bench 135.
There was no round 2 with Tank. Power, however, is a legit weapon in MMA, and has made for some awesomely memorable fights, and fighters. I don't buy PPV's hoping to see guys with great gas tanks go the distance.

I disagree. I take critisim well. Every coach I've ever had said I'm very coachable. I just choose which advice to follow and which advice to ignore. This turned into a 10 page thread because your egos were so hurt i would hear your opinion on WL shoes while deadlifting and ignore it....

I think its sad. I've given my reasons. I've given some of my research.

As far as setting the bar low. I think a 2.5x BW DL isn't low. Like I said if I can improve that number when I get there I will. As long as it doesn't impact my primary focus.

So to summarize your above point...

Because I like to use WL shoes when deadlifting...

1. I can't take any criticism.
2. I have no desire to get stronger

Let Ego's go for fuck sakes. Your advice isn't king. Am I suppose to take your advice over Rippetoe? Over the guys I see deadlifting 500-700lbs in WL shoes, saying they like the shoes? If I say I feel stronger in them, then how can you say I don't? How? If You say my form is shit because of them, I say how can you know without seeing me deadlift barefoot? I always have had a problem with letting the bar be too far forward. It's a common beginner problem.

Dude, did you even read what I wrote? I just said:
I don't give a shit if you want to limit yourself, if you want to use less than ideal training methods, if you want to wear weightlifting shoes, or if you want to shove a dildo up your ass really badly.

I don't care if you lift in weightlifting shoes. My post had nothing to do with the weightlifting shoes. It has to do with your attitude, and that you get butthurt and go on multiple page rants when people try to help you, because they don't say what you wanted to hear.

If already told you, if you want real help to find where your form breaks down, then post a form video of you attempting a max effort lift. Of course, if you post a second video of you deadlifting in flat-soled shoes, we could see if that helped your issue of bucking forward and your hips rising too fast. If you don't want to fix that, then cool. As I've said, I couldn't care less if you want to handicap yourself as a result of your ego. You are right, your form may not be shit because of the weightlifting shoes. Your form may be shit in chucks as well.

I always have had a problem with letting the bar be too far forward. It's a common beginner problem.
Yes, and you have had this problem for years. What are you doing to fix it?

There was no round 2 with Tank. Power, however, is a legit weapon in MMA, and has made for some awesomely memorable fights, and fighters. I don't buy PPV's hoping to see guys with great gas tanks go the distance.

Your right. Its a legit weapon. Less then technique,accuracy,speed,timing and conditioning. But yeah its a weapon. How did that work out for tank? (10wins-15loses).....

Your a just bleed fan? Got cha. I doubt you train as well. If you did you would appreciate the fights regardless. At the very least you would understand as people become more and more technically sound and the quality of fighters go up. The more competitive and longer the fights get. (which is the same for all sports).

Is this forum mainly full of lifters that have never spent a considerable amount of time on the mat?

Dude, did you even read what I wrote? I just said:

I don't care if you lift in weightlifting shoes. My post had nothing to do with the weightlifting shoes. It has to do with your attitude, and that you get butthurt and go on multiple page rants when people try to help you, because they don't say what you wanted to hear.

If already told you, if you want real help to find where your form breaks down, then post a form video of you attempting a max effort lift. Of course, if you post a second video of you deadlifting in flat-soled shoes, we could see if that helped your issue of bucking forward and your hips rising too fast. If you don't want to fix that, then cool. As I've said, I couldn't care less if you want to handicap yourself as a result of your ego. You are right, your form may not be shit because of the weightlifting shoes. Your form may be shit in chucks as well.

Yes, and you have had this problem for years. What are you doing to fix it?

Stopped listening to people that know less then me.

Your right. Its a legit weapon. Less then technique,accuracy,speed,timing and conditioning. But yeah its a weapon. How did that work out for tank? (10wins-15loses).....

Your a just bleed fan? Got cha. I doubt you train as well. If you did you would appreciate the fights regardless. At the very least you would understand as people become more and more technically sound and the quality of fighters go up. The more competitive and longer the fights get. (which is the same for all sports).

Is this forum mainly full of lifters that have never spent a considerable amount of time on the mat?
Careful of assumptions. There's an open invite to my gym for anyone who wants to roll with me. I'll make the time.

... And I'll post the video here.

Back