Cyril Gane turned down Aspinall for UFC Manchester in July... and his own fans are getting irritated.

You can also do movies right now, when these doors are actually opening for you (Gane), while you're still a household name in MMA. Probably for at least the same amount of money. If your purpose isn't being a full-time MMA-fighter, why not?

I mean it sucks for us as MMA fans but it makes perfect sense if your heart isn't fully into being a fighter, which is the case with Gane, he's shown that many times before.

That's a fair explanation.

For me if there is opportunity to excel in a sport you love and you want to maximize your success. Not taking the interim HW championship fight is big let down not only for fans but for him. He's not helping himself, he should fight and maximize your potential as a fighter if that's what you want to do.

But when it's all said and done it's up to him and what he believes is best for him.

So I have no qualms about him choosing that path to movies, but I'm just saying if he wants to be a full time fighter he should maximize your potential and don't waste those opportunities when it opens for you.

The issue is the guy already shot the TV show months ago and I guess he has to promote the show when Netflix will air it. I guess he is contractually bound to promote the show. If it airs in less than 2 months before the Manchester card, he will not be able to properly train for the fight

For me if there is opportunity to excel in a sport you love and you want to maximize your success. Not taking the interim HW championship fight is big let down not only for fans but for him. He's not helping himself, he should fight and maximize your potential as a fighter if that's what you want to do.

But when it's all said and done it's up to him and what he believes is best for him.

So I have no qualms about him choosing that path to movies, but I'm just saying if he wants to be a full time fighter he should maximize your potential and don't waste those opportunities when it opens for you.
I agree. Gane is probably one of those "what if's" in MMA. Got to the top on pure talent but lacks the passion and grit to consistently keep improving and become an actual champion.

This is his version of Hollywood. Leave the small minded French be. If the guy is happy, who cares?

For someone who really needs to work on a big flaw in his game as well its not really a good show of commitment either, honestly I'm getting the sense Gane may not really have his heart in MMA anymore and I spose if he can get an acting career going thats potentially not a terrible career move.

i don't really care, but the UFC should remove his ranking and when/if he decides to come back he's starting from the bottom. imagine this guy getting the belt, his title defenses will be like the Olympics, once every 4 years.

I agree. Gane is probably one of those "what if's" in MMA. Got to the top on pure talent but lacks the passion and grit to consistently keep improving and become an actual champion.
Good thing is it's not too late yet for him. Especially at that weight class but yeah I can easily see that backfire on him considering Dana past history with fighters who refuse fights.

I understand both sides tbh. If he really did give his words for the movie and the UFC came afterward with an offer I mean.. it's a shitty spot to be in but I think as a fighter you have to stick to what you know best and especially you have to remember the hand that fed you.

Ciryl Gane is internationally known because of the UFC. The more he fight in there the better it's gonna be for his brand (I don't see him losing to too many guys in his division tbh).

Gane doesn't wanna fight anyone that won't just stand and throw hands at him.

Would be awesome if they did Poatan vs Aspinall. I would guess Blaydes though if we are being realistic.

MMA fighters and movies. Why do they sell think they can do it? It's like every other celebrity who is an actor, singer, songwriter, artist, musician, etc. Good for them, but the reason we like the sport figures is because of their sport.

Who cares. Let Gane go sun himself on the beaches of Nice with all his boyfriends, he's earned it. Jones vs. Aspinall needs to be booked the moment Jones is healthy enough to get in camp. All this subterfuge with the HW division and the "interim" belt need to fuck off already. Tom's time is here. Jones is not washed. The fight will be of biblical proportions. Then you follow it up with Poaton vs. winner. Thats two years of serious intrigue for a perpetually boring division. No idea why the UFC is still fucking around with this.

Who can blame him?

Fighters want risk/reward.

Gane knows he'll likely get his head knocked off vs Aspinall, so he'll wanna fight some big slow dumb HW where he can be more assured of the victory.

Aspinall doesn't have any obvious weaknesses, not that we've seen yet, anyway.
So he's a scary prospect for most HWs.

That said, ducking one of the only compelling fights in a division that's already weak to begin with... Hah.

Back