Media Dana White says Max Holloway is 'probably the greatest featherweight of all time' (he spittin facts)

This "whatever of ALL TIME" get's really annoying
<bringit>

crazy. you have Aldo as 1 because "longevity" but you have Volk at 2 because he basically beat Max 2/3 times. what about Max beating Aldo 2/2 times? what about Conor beating both Max and Aldo decisively?
What about the longevity of Aldo's reign and the fact that he went TEN FUCKING YEARS without a loss? What about the fact that he clearly wasn't at his best when he fought Max and Conor?

Or do you count Anderson Silva's fight with Bisping as reason to put Bisping above Anderson at MW?

Your argument falls apart when you think about it, so you clearly didn't.

100% he wouldn't have said that if Volkanovski was still champ.

This "whatever of ALL TIME" get's really annoying
<bringit>
In history. Ever. Of all time.

I grew tired of this crap long ago. I don't know what the obsession with it is. Especially when all it takes is a new champ to get 1 title defenses there's always somebody who has to bring it up.

What about the longevity of Aldo's reign and the fact that he went TEN FUCKING YEARS without a loss? What about the fact that he clearly wasn't at his best when he fought Max and Conor?

Or do you count Anderson Silva's fight with Bisping as reason to put Bisping above Anderson at MW?

Your argument falls apart when you think about it, so you clearly didn't.

if you read the thread you'd understand why i said that.

Aldo still has the most consecutive FW title defenses in UFC history. His WEC title defenses make that title reign even more impressive. My vote is still for Aldo, but that’s mainly because he resembles my dad lol. <mma3>.
It’s a tough argument being that he got steamrolled by max twice and lost to Volk as well. That being said, he DOES get the longevity vote. Truly a hard question to answer.

Again with this non sense

Kamaru is not the goat of WW GSP is

Izzy is not the goat of MW Anderson Silva is

Stipe is not the goat of HW Fedor is
i dont think fedor beats the version of guys that stipe beat
but i believe stipe would beat those pro wrestlers that fedor beat
fedors best wins are nog and cro cop

41 year old stipe wont lose to maldonado or oldman hendo

people overhype him so much that they dont think anymore

may i remind you of fedors record in a drug tested org?

It’s a tough argument being that he got steamrolled by max twice and lost to Volk as well. That being said, he DOES get the longevity vote. Truly a hard question to answer.
That’s a fair argument, however I believe longevity plays a larger role in greatness when it comes to these discussions.

He got finished twice by Max. You can't be over someone who has finished you twice.
Aldo has far more defenses as a champion, though. How long someone reigns over a division factors in greatly in these convos. Aldo has 3x as many defenses as Holloway does. Aldo has 9 if you include the wec and Holloway only has 3.

Aldo/Volk at 1 and 2 in either order you choose, Max at a very respectable third for now imo

Aldo has far more defenses as a champion, though. How long someone reigns over a division factors in greatly in these convos. Aldo has 3x as many defenses as Holloway does. Aldo has 9 if you include the wec and Holloway only has 3.
Also worst defeat in championship match 2 losses like being finished by max also a loss to Volk. The whole point of fighting is to know who is a better fighter and Max has proven to be better than Aldo.

Aldo 9 defenses
Volk 5 defenses
Max 3 defenses

Max is 0-3 to Volk
Max landed 23 sig strikes and lost to Conor

But yea totally he's the best 145er to ever do it some how.

Max is absolutely fucking awesome, brings a great pace and style, and is elite. But Max isn't the GOAT, he's probably only the third or at worst fourth best FW of his era based on talent. I'd definitely argue during Volk's reign that Max is the best gatekeeper of all time.

Dana and Rogan's job are to hype fights up to a wide casual base, but continually calling not even close to GOAT fighters "best ever" at their weight class is so cringeworthy.

Dana White white had the following to say about Max Holloway and UFC 300.

“Max Holloway, always a big fan favorite,” White said from his Las Vegas “War Room” office on First Take (h/t MMA Mania). “Probably the greatest featherweight of all time, going up against Gaethje, who is a human highlight reel.

“The idea of the BMF was built right here in this room. There’s always these fights that the fans love, whether it’s a [Jorge] Masvidal vs. [Nate] Diaz, you know, those types of fights — Gaethje and Holloway. We were sitting in here one day and thought about building this BMF title and who’s better fit for this thing than Justin Gaethje and Max Holloway? We thought about it in here. I told the guys, ‘Tell me if I’m crazy, but what do you think of this idea?’ They loved it, the fans love it, and here we go.”

“When you think about it, it’s the greatest card ever assembled in combat sports history,” White said of UFC 300. “Not just UFC, not just MMA, ever.”

Source

Personally, I'm inclined to agree with Dana. No other fighter in the UFC is headstrong to take on anyone like Max is. Volk had a chance at being the best FW but he screwed it up. Dana speaking nothing but facts here (except for the UFC 300 part, that's just BS).

“Max Holloway, always a big fan favorite,” White said from his Las Vegas “War Room” office on First Take (h/t MMA Mania). “Probably the greatest featherweight of all time, going up against Gaethje, who is a human highlight reel.

“The idea of the BMF was built right here in this room. There’s always these fights that the fans love, whether it’s a [Jorge] Masvidal vs. [Nate] Diaz, you know, those types of fights — Gaethje and Holloway. We were sitting in here one day and thought about building this BMF title and who’s better fit for this thing than Justin Gaethje and Max Holloway? We thought about it in here. I told the guys, ‘Tell me if I’m crazy, but what do you think of this idea?’ They loved it, the fans love it, and here we go.”

“When you think about it, it’s the greatest card ever assembled in combat sports history,” White said of UFC 300. “Not just UFC, not just MMA, ever.”

Source

Personally, I'm inclined to agree with Dana. No other fighter in the UFC is headstrong to take on anyone like Max is. Volk had a chance at being the best FW but he screwed it up. Dana speaking nothing but facts here (except for the UFC 300 part, that's just BS).

Volk arguably beat Khabib 2.0. Do people forget how he closed out that 5th Round?? Do people forget how dominant the Trilogy fight with Max was for Volk?

I love Holloway and he will always be one of my top favorites ever, but Aldo and Volk are above him in terms of who they beat and what they achieved. He’s within The Top 3 Greatest 145’ers ever though, no doubt.

Dana is just trying to hype up the card like usual. Aldo and Volk are ahead of Max IMO.

Also worst defeat in championship match 2 losses like being finished by max also a loss to Volk. The whole point of fighting is to know who is a better fighter and Max has proven to be better than Aldo.
This is talking about greatness. The champ with a third as many title defenses is not greater than the champ with 3x as many defenses.

Source

Naw it’s Aldo, Pitbull, Volk, then Max

Dana is just trying to hype up the card like usual. Aldo and Volk are ahead of Max IMO.
I got Patricio Pitbull ahead of Max. He went up in weight and KO’d Chandler and has been the KING of 145 since 2010. Sure the competition wasn’t as stiff as UFC BUT it WAS in the early days. Joe Warren and Pat Curran and a list of killers that would’ve done well in UFC

Volk really sold his legacy taking that short notice fight with a beer gut.

Predict the bullshit empty UFC marketing machine:

How many more wins until Ilia is declared the FW GOAT by the UFC? I vote 2 more wins and they start using that bullshit.

This, once a fighter retires Dana White says x new active fighter is the new GOAT. He doesn't give a shit about reality or the history of fighters he can no longer make money from.

When Jones retires I wonder how many wins it will take for Dana to start calling someone else GOAT.

Back