Media Daniel Cormier: "I love what Jones is doing" in trying to duck Aspinall

If Tom wins in July and defends his interim belt and Jon continues to fight beyond Stipe, they won't be able to avoid this match up. If Tom was a contender, than it's a different story, but he's the interim champ and the clear #1 contender. At that point it will be just too obvious in staging certain fights that fit better for Jon.

If Tom wins in July and defends his interim belt and Jon continues to fight beyond Stipe, they won't be able to avoid this match up. If Tom was a contender, than it's a different story, but he's the interim champ and the clear #1 contender. At that point it will be just too obvious in staging certain fights that fit better for Jon.

Yeah Jon has no way out, even if Pereira smokes Ankalaev next there's no way they could justify to the fans how Pereira could get a HW title fight before Aspinall if he's healthy and able to fight.

I don't think anyone worth listening to has ever denied that when it comes to fighting, Jon is incredibly smart. it's the rest of his life that makes you aware of his status as an all-time great moron

Yeah Jon has no way out, even if Pereira smokes Ankalaev next there's no way they could justify to the fans how Pereira could get a HW title fight before Aspinall if he's healthy and able to fight.

No doubt, both guys win the UFC is gonna have to make that fight. I suspect Tom will win in July vs Blaydes and Jon will fight Stipe in August. And I think they'll match them up in Nov/Dec at MSG. That I can see being Jon's last fight.

It’s about time someone in the media called this waddling, quacking duck out for the coward he really is. But of course DC didn’t use those exact words. But it’s clearly implied.

The biggest joke in mma history, and it’s not even close.

Exactly this. I'm not worried, we get Aspinall/Jones or Jones retires. It's fine with me.

I think it's more a indirect way of saying he's ducking Tom. He's being passive aggressive.

This is AutistDog, so you're going to have a hard time explaining why 'compliments', particularly those offered by a half mealy-mouthed professional shill/half troll like DC, aren't always sincere.

This place collectively would think a woman they are interested in starting a sentence with 'Look, I think you are a really nice guy...' means things are about to go great.

Also DC:

He added: “Here’s the issue, Ciryl Gane possesses a lot of those same [standup] skills. He can stand on the outside and fight, he can pot shot you from the outside, and he does possess jarring power when he does land.

"Jon Jones always had a bit of a size advantage over a lot of the guys that he fought at 205 too. That’s going to be missing. But when you look at Jones, he looks bigger.

“But a lot of the weight is up top. His bottom half still looks pretty slim. You look at Ciryl Gane, it looks like somebody stuck an air pump in that dude’s mouth and just started pumping.

“He looks huge, but he only weighs about 250 pounds. He’s not heavy. He’s just lean, he’s ripped, and he’s big, and he’s strong. This is a very big challenge for Jon Jones.”

resize

Apparently hiding, cheating, & ducking any real fight makes a goat. SMDH.​
It's a passive aggressive indirect way of saying he's ducking Tom.​

Last edited:
I think Jones just wants the biggest payday possible on the way out.

It's already obvious that the UFC is "staging certain fights that fit better for Jon." That's the whole reason people are universally calling for the Aspinall fight, and it hasn't stopped the UFC from moving forward with the Stipe fight.

You guys don't seem to realize that the UFC can do whatever it wants. They're already passing up legitimate contenders (and an interim title holder) for a retired 42-year-old who got flatlined in his last fight and hasn't won in 4 years. They could just as easily pass by Aspinall again after the Stipe fight. Just like they did with Bisping fighting 46-year-old Hendo and then a retired welterweight while guys like Yoel, Whittaker, and Jacare were the rightful contenders.

Could Jones-Aspinall happen after Stipe? Sure. But it's certainly not a guarantee. At this point, I think the more likely scenario is that Jones retires. But if Alex goes in and starches Ankalaev (or whomever he fights next), I wouldn't be shocked if he skipped Aspinall. Again, the UFC can do whatever it wants.

Aspinall's clearest way to a title fight is to make himself as marketable and hyped as possible, i.e., becoming the "money fight." And the best way he could do that is to impressively defend his title multiple times before the Jones-Stipe fight ever happens.

Back