Dariush is not one of the top 4/5 best lightweights in the world

I agree. Think he is right around the 10 mark, but definitely not a top 5 guy. Once Dariush starts facing the real guys of LW, we'll see him drop down to where he belongs. The next question is, who does he face after he loses to Islam? Loser of Oliveira/Dustin? RDA? Gillespie?

When they fought, CDF was on a 6 fight win streak, 17-2 in MMA with only losses being to Doostin and Dariush again. And how embarrassing that he went on to lose to Gregor, 14-1 guy, excellent wrestler? Carlos is a great fighter.

You're literally trying to discredit 3 very good guys in one post here.

Well I don't believe so. Apart from beating Tony's leftover corpse his best win is a split decision over number 10 ranked, nearly 37 year old Carlos Diego Ferreira, who then went on to get TKO'ed by Gregor Gillespie in 2 rounds

Id probably favour at least 10-15 lightweights in the world over him

The split decision was bullshit, Dariush won all 3 rounds.
Did you even watch the Ferreira vs Gillespie fight or just checked wiki for the result?

Well I don't believe so. Apart from beating Tony's leftover corpse his best win is a split decision over number 10 ranked, nearly 37 year old Carlos Diego Ferreira, who then went on to get TKO'ed by Gregor Gillespie in 2 rounds

I think Dariush would beat Oliveira. I just think he will get reckless and start swinging at Oliveira while getting hit but catch him. Btw, I'm not discrediting Oliveira. I think he beats Poirier next week. I just think out of Dariush, Poirier and Gaethje, Dariush will be the only one to move forward against Charles.

Rankings are not subjective. It's about accomplishments within the weight class. Regardless of some of y'all opinions, Dariush is rightfully top 5.
He is on a 7 fight win streak with 4 finishes, and he was the one to stop Diego's 6 fight win streak.
The only explanation for so many people underrating Dariush to this point is that you have no idea who Diego Ferreira is and how good he was looking going to that fight.
Diego stopped both Mairbek Taisumov and Rustam Khabilov 6 fight win streaks and did it convincingly, pressuring and beating both to the punch while being primarily a grappler. Then he went on to dominate and submit Anthony Pettis by RNC - and if you know anything about Pettis he is one of the best back escapers in MMA history, he even survived Charles Oliveira getting to his back early on.

Also, the "split" in that decision was BS. Dariush definitely won the fight, and arguably 30-27, although i don't recall what i personally scored (between 29-28 and 30-27 Dariush). MMA media was unanimously for Dariush and mostly giving him all 3 rounds: http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/11681/Beneil-Dariush-vs-Diego-Ferreira
Same goes for fan scoring.
Thank you for this. Very well articulated.

When they fought, CDF was on a 6 fight win streak, 17-2 in MMA with only losses being to Doostin and Dariush again. And how embarrassing that he went on to lose to Gregor, 14-1 guy, excellent wrestler? Carlos is a great fighter.

You're literally trying to discredit 3 very good guys in one post here.
You hit the nail on the head, bro.
For guys like TS, Khabib is the only good fighter ever. Jon Jones was decent. And GSP, mediocre.

Too bad you're in England; I'd love to make some bets with you and take your money.

Under the current system he earned his top 5 slot. But to give your post some merrit I think theres an issue that its very easy for fighters to gain rankings but hard to lose them.

The reason behind it is your ranking really only changes based on the opponent you beat or that beats you. So you have situations where guys can climb by beating previous title challengers thatre now on a skid like Beneil did with Tony. But the problem is when you have situations like Tony, Woodley and Till where they ascend to the top and then when they start losing to other top 5 guys they only fall 1 or 2 spots despite being on a 3 fight losing streak. This leaves the top 10 specifically with the constsnt problem of contenders jumping 3-6 ranks off 1 win often on the backs who someone who shouldve been moved down the ranking 2 losses ago.

Ultimately there needs to be more parity within the top 15 to allow of more accurate rankings. The whole top 5 circle jerk until someone losses 3 straight needs to stop. If youre ranked 2 and lose to rank 5, you should probably face ranks 6-10 in your next fight not the #3 or 4 guy like is often seen

He might not have great wins but his division is shitty enough to have him ranked high so calm down TS

He's a great fighter!
There's a few reasons he's overlooked.
-His look, he looks a lot older and doesn't have an imposing figure.
-Doesn't have a lot of charisma to be a star, so the normal fans don't know much about him.
-Most importantly, pretty bad losses. He's been finished in all 4 of them.
The first loss was against against Ramsey Nijem(10-9 record) who was a mid-tier fighter, Beneil was winning until he got caught and TKO'd.
The second loss was against Chiesa, which isn't bad since he's a pretty good fighter.
The third was a brutal KO by Barboza in a competitive fight. That lauched him in a pretty bad 3 fight skid(one was a draw against Dunham).
The fourth loss was a 1st round KO of Hernandez who's an ok prospect, but hasn't shown that he's championship caliber. At the time it was Hernandez's debut, he was unranked and pretty unknown to most. This loss sent Beneil out of the rankings.
3 fight skid:
Screenshot-11.png

I think he's great and has shown he's pretty elite at times, he just made some bad decisions in certain fights.
He has another oppurtunity to shine against Islam.
Great post and if I may add that Dariush looked to be winning against both Chiesa and Barboza before getting caught. He was out-striking Chiesa with beautiful Muay Thai before suddenly giving up his back to Chiesa. He also seemed to do be doing very well against Barboza until getting caught with the knee. Against Hernandez, he got caught off guard by the shady glove touch and was hurt before he ever had a chance.

Great post and if I may add that Dariush looked to be winning against both Chiesa and Barboza before getting caught. He was out-striking Chiesa with beautiful Muay Thai before suddenly giving up his back to Chiesa. He also seemed to do be doing very well against Barboza until getting caught with the knee. Against Hernandez, he got caught off guard by the shady glove touch and was hurt before he ever had a chance.
Great add ons!
I think this winstreak he's put together is him in his prime. Hopefully him and Islam put on a great fight to earn a TS.

Regardless of whether Dariush is top five or not, he's getting the right booking in his next fight, and he's certainly top five - and next in line for a title shot after Poirier and Gaethje - if he beats Makhachev. Who cares if he's overranked a spot or two so long as he's being booked properly?

It doesnt matter if 10 guys could beat him as rankings are about the victories you currently have.

Anway heres 10 i think could beat him.
Poirier
Oliveira
Chandler
Islam
Arman
Alvarez
Gillespie
Riddell
Fiziev
Bobby Green
Ismagulov

Pass the ganja brother, do you really think the likes of Bobby Green and Riddel will beat Dariush? you are grossly underestimating Beneil as a fighter.

Benny is carrying the weight of all the Assyrians in the world, lots of kids look up to him and he has to put up a good example for his people that’s why he might seem “boring” to you. We love our Assyrian warrior.

Meh, Hooker is more inconsistent at the moment. Dardar binks has shown to be able to put together a string of solid wins.
Tony and Gregor proved a string of wins with no top 3’s means little when you actually meet one. I expect the same streak to come to a end for Olivera next month.

Reactions: 2EZ

any hater will favor anyone else... the hard part is to prove, since even when Dariush wins, you will obviously make up excuses about it.

Fact is, he is on a 7 fight win streak, and beat Tony who was ranked #5 in the division. That's a better win than Islam beating Hooker (on short notice).
And now we will see them fight. May the winner prove he belongs. This way no one can complain they don't deserve being at the top.

I think Dariush would beat Oliveira. I just think he will get reckless and start swinging at Oliveira while getting hit but catch him. Btw, I'm not discrediting Oliveira. I think he beats Poirier next week. I just think out of Dariush, Poirier and Gaethje, Dariush will be the only one to move forward against Charles.
I think the opposite. Dariush beating Old Tony hasn’t proven the ability to beat anyone the others haven’t and has lost to Barboza .

CDF and Gregor are also top LWs.

155 is so stacked and has been so slow for the past few years that some of the top guys are ranked too highly, and many of the lower-level guys and unranked guys should be ranked/ranked higher.

Also, since Kevin Lee just got released... He was a top LW too. At 155, he beat Chiesa, had a hard-fought loss to prime Tony, demolished Barboza (outside of Edson's one good head kick), lost to a bad matchup in Raging Al, nuked Gregor, and then lost to the current champ. He was clearly a top 15 guy.

I can't wait for Islam vs Dariush!!!

Back