DC Believes Fedor Was 'Average At Best' In 2009

Moscardino

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/10...verage-at-best-had-he-come-to-the-ufc-in-2009

“Versus Brock Lesnar, I’ll give you that. I think he beats Brock Lesnar. But outside of that, I don’t think Fedor competes very well in the UFC. I think that, honestly, Fedor not going to the UFC allowed for the intrigue to stay, but the reality of the situation is he would not have done well against those guys like JDS (Junior dos Santos), he wasn’t beating Cain Velasquez, he would have struggled with guys like Cheick Kongo. He was not beating those guys that were at the top of the UFC at that time. I’m certain of it.

“I know you’re gonna say, ‘ Well he beat this guy, he beat (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira and he beat Frank Mir.’ For as great as he is, he would have been, at that time in the sport, average at best. I’m telling you. Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC between 2009-11, average at best.”

Do you agree?

Fedor, for whatever reason, seemed to lose his edge after the CroCop fight.

I think that was the moment when he felt like he had reached the top of the sport, and it was only going to go downhill after that.

He was still beating guys, but he was getting increasingly sloppy, relying on brawling to get quick wins. You never truly saw the tactical, well-rounded Fedor after that fight.

Fedor had a fantastic career during his stint in Pride. However, I agree with DC. I can see Cain forcing him to grapple and overwhelm Fedor via ground and pound. Fedor did show vulnerabilities. Even a non-striker, Fujita even connected Fedor and rocked him. Also, a dozen of his earlier fighters were relatively unknown fighters outside Russia.

Fedor had a fantastic career during his stint in Pride. However, I agree with DC. I can see Cain forcing him to grapple and overwhelm Fedor via ground and pound. Fedor did show vulnerabilities. Even a non-striker, Fujita even connected Fedor and rocked him. Also, a dozen of his earlier fighters were relatively unknown fighters outside Russia.
Fedor would have KO Cain.

DC is wrong......Fedor may or may not have been the champ, but he would have been at the top. Fedor knows how to plant a bomb on the chin of his opponents & from 2009-2011 the UFC heavyweights were slow. It would have been lights out for most of them, just like in Pride!

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/10...verage-at-best-had-he-come-to-the-ufc-in-2009

“Versus Brock Lesnar, I’ll give you that. I think he beats Brock Lesnar. But outside of that, I don’t think Fedor competes very well in the UFC. I think that, honestly, Fedor not going to the UFC allowed for the intrigue to stay, but the reality of the situation is he would not have done well against those guys like JDS (Junior dos Santos), he wasn’t beating Cain Velasquez, he would have struggled with guys like Cheick Kongo. He was not beating those guys that were at the top of the UFC at that time. I’m certain of it.

“I know you’re gonna say, ‘ Well he beat this guy, he beat (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira and he beat Frank Mir.’ For as great as he is, he would have been, at that time in the sport, average at best. I’m telling you. Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC between 2009-11, average at best.”

Do you agree?

Sort of. More like above average instead of 'average at best'. He was a smaller HW who was on the downhill slide. He would've had a tough time against Cain/JDS but would've taken Kongo down and controlled him.

Back