DC Believes Fedor Was 'Average At Best' In 2009

Do you know who he beat in that time frame? Big Nog was 6 years removed from the 3rd fight with Fedor. Ben Rothwell, who is capable but not a World beater, and honestly the fight was stopped prematurely. Kongo always has struggled with anybody with a hint of grappling. Brock, who can't take a punch. Who from that list can you say Fedor can't beat?
So again are you suggesting fedor was as good as Cain was at that time? Fedor could beat those guys. And he could lose…..

Exactly. People shit on Aldo but can't take 30 seconds to ponder on the fact Aldo has literally been fighting since he was 18 (if not earlier in unsanctioned fights) and he's what 35 now and still fighting, and winning if not at least being competitive, against the best in the world.

Literally 15 of those years were against nothing but the best killers the world had to offer at 145.

And he's still fighting against top flight competition at 135 in the twilight stages of his career.

Like respect the resume FFS.

Amen.

So again are you suggesting fedor was as good as Cain was at that time? Fedor could beat those guys. And he could lose…..
I don't see Fedor losing to those guys even within that time frame, and Cain didn't beat anybody in that time frame to tell me he would beat Fedor.

Joe Rogan called Fedor the GOAT until he became company man. DC is just protecting his job.

He might have had trouble with Cain. But without injury issues Cain, would have been the best HW.

But then, we are just talking hypotheticals, none of us would never know how Fedor could have done against UFC HWs from 2009-2011!

Oh wait, my bad, Fedor literally fought 3 UFC guys during that period.

View attachment 886152
Why did you leave out the other 2 UFC guys and 1 Strikeforce guy he beat during that period?

Until this day I haven't seen a HW with prime fedor skill set. Prime fedor was durable as hell, reflexes like a cat, fast twitch speed, subs from the bottom and top, reversal from any positions , heavy hands , could throw high kicks, low kicks, check kicks, takedowns , heart, will, judo and most importantly could combine his strikes semesely with takedown seconds apart.

A prime fedor was in his mid twenties, nowhere near as he got older past 30. People forget that fedor was fighting in combat sambo years before he did mma. Combat sambo is one of the hardest and closets sport to mma. That help age his body faster than other sports mma fighter did .

I do think prime DC (strike force) would've of been a 50/50 against prime fedor though.

Last edited:
Definitely Mir has a chance, he’s a bad motherfucker and a legend. But what I am saying (and I’ll tag @Fioretti too), is that if we start imagining who Fedor could or couldn’t beat in this scenario, I think we have to put Mir on the list of opponents that lose to Fedor, right? We can sit here and debate whether Fedor beats JDS or Cain, but we know he can beat Mir.

Ehhh...we know him beat him almost a decade after the time in question. As I said, not indicative of how it would've gone down in 2009-2011.

I don't see Fedor losing to those guys even within that time frame, and Cain didn't beat anybody in that time frame to tell me he would beat Fedor.
He destroyed bigfoot and jds the next year. He was the same fighter. The idea that 2010-2011 fedor was equal to Cain is absurd.

I don’t care about 2009 Fedor being past it. Prime Fedor smashes prime DC, Cain, and every other HW fighter outside of Brocktober.

Lesnar in his debut beats any version of Fedor, no doubt in my mind.

Ehhh...we know him beat him almost a decade after the time in question. As I said, not indicative of how it would've gone down in 2009-2011.
Not necessarily indicative of how the fight would go, no. But whereas I think we’d have to consider Cain and JDS the favorites if they fought Fedor in 2010-2011, Fedor should be considered the favorite to beat Mir if they fought anytime in the 2009-2011 period. Or any period, actually—I can’t think of a time in their careers where it would make sense to favor Mir to beat Fedor.

I find it funny that MMA fans still don't understand that lesser fighters beat better fighters because of the random, uncertainty of a fight.

Fighter A thinks duck thinking a HK is coming. Just a wrong read.
Fighter B think knee at the same time thinking he's going to land a body blow.
Fighter A, who in this scenario is the better fighter, gets knocked out.
Fighter B wins.

Dan landed a clean punch to his face. WTF did you want him to do? Getting knocked out by a H bomb doesn't make you less of a fighter.

He went from being undefeated to being finished 3 consecutive times. That should maybe clue you into it not being random circumstance.

Fedor was on the downswing,but not "average at best",even then.

But not the same man once the streak was over and he lost his at that point,almost career long momentum.

We should not denigrate DC and Cain because we hold Fedor in higher esteem. Of course we do.

But those are tough fights for even prime Fedor. Although he would prove victorious because Prime Fedor is impossible to defeat. PRAISE HIM WITH GREAT PRAISE.

Not necessarily indicative of how the fight would go, no. But whereas I think we’d have to consider Cain and JDS the favorites if they fought Fedor in 2010-2011, Fedor should be considered the favorite to beat Mir if they fought anytime in the 2009-2011 period. Or any period, actually—I can’t think of a time in their careers where it would make sense to favor Mir to beat Fedor.

Fedor dropped out of the top 10, iirc, when he lost to Werdum. Mir would've been favored anytime after that.

Fedor dropped out of the top 10, iirc, when he lost to Werdum. Mir would've been favored anytime after that.
I took a look. Here’s Bloody Elbow’s consensus rankings from July 2010. Fedor #2, Mir #7.
In their consensus rankings from March 2011 (right after the Bigfoot fight), Mir and Overeem are tied for 7th with Fedor right behind.
So objectively we can say that Fedor would be favored anytime before Feb 2011, Mir favored after that.

He destroyed bigfoot and jds the next year. He was the same fighter. The idea that 2010-2011 fedor was equal to Cain is absurd.
The idea that Cain in '09 struggled with Kongo and literally had Ben Rothwell standing up while Cain was teeing off on him. Having a pair of favorable match-ups in '10 and finished in a little over a minute in '11 by JDS isn't convincing me that he's some killer.

Honestly, was Fedor good? Yes. Was he ever the greatest, arguably at one point i. The Earl to mid-2000s. Did he fight and crush a bunch of cans as well? Yes.

Fedor falls somewhere near the bottom 10 for greatest heavyweights. DC even annihilates him. Again, I know the Fedor nut huggers are going to flame me, but truth is truth.

Stipe, DC, Francis, Cain, heck, even Yan blachowits or whatever, all destroy Fedor. Bigfoot still destroys Fedor in prime and same with Werdum.

Fedor is just a symbol of an era to many with fond memories of earlier days. He gets outclassed for sure by today's heavyweights.

Back