DC Believes Fedor Was 'Average At Best' In 2009

Lol dude even today theres not going to be 10,000 active pro MMA fighters out there across all weight classes, never mind just HWs.

Yeah, I may have been exaggerating a bit trying to be funny. Clearly it didn't work -- another reason why I shouldn't be giving up my day job.

Overeem’s T levels were in the 200s for that fight. He was made pretty mortal, pretty quickly.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...stosterone-level-at-dangerously-low-levels-in
And just for accuracy’s sake, this was an NSAC suspension, not a USADA suspension. UFC wasn’t patterning with USADA yet, it was the Nevada commission that busted Overeem.

The second Werdum fight in SF though I think you see the same issues, Reem, in K-1 depended a lot on the big gloves for his defence and without them he looked very hittable.

The switch to his econoreem tactics at Jacksons honestly I think that was a switch that needed to happen, he needed to be more mobile and able to stay on the outside because aggressive boxing was simply not his forte.

If we're really being honest with ourselves most HW's were "average at best" in 2009.

Overeem’s T levels were in the 200s for that fight. He was made pretty mortal, pretty quickly.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...stosterone-level-at-dangerously-low-levels-in
And just for accuracy’s sake, this was an NSAC suspension, not a USADA suspension. UFC wasn’t partnering with USADA yet, it was the Nevada commission that busted Overeem.

that doesn't really prove anything. lots of fighters have strange T levels and they're still successful. remember the when DC/Jones/Weidman's test levels came out?

that doesn't really prove anything. lots of fighters have strange T levels and they're still successful. remember the when DC/Jones/Weidman's test levels came out?
This isn’t merely a strange level. Cormier had slightly low T/E ratios, which are explainable by his age and the fact that he was training hard. Overeem had a 14:1 T/E ratio when he busted, IIRC. But after the Bigfoot fight, his total test was 179 ng/dl. 179. No athlete is going to be successful with a total test level like that, that’s insane. It would be near impossible to build any serious muscle, it affects cognitive function and all sorts of things. 179 is a number that an 80 year old man would have. No competitive athlete would be successful for any length of time with T levels that low.

This isn’t merely a strange level. Cormier had slightly low T/E ratios, which are explainable by his age and the fact that he was training hard. Overeem had a 14:1 T/E ratio when he busted, IIRC. But after the Bigfoot fight, his total test was 179 ng/dl. 179. No athlete is going to be successful with a total test level like that, that’s insane. It would be near impossible to build any serious muscle, it affects cognitive function and all sorts of things. 179 is a number that an 80 year old man would have. No competitive athlete would be successful for any length of time with T levels that low.

and yet he fought for a UFC title. look, i'm not a scientist but if he didn't think he could win he wouldn't have taken the fight. he also LOOKED practically the same. he didn't need to build any serious muscle because he was already insanely muscular. i get it, he was on his way down and not on his way up, but still like i said, he fought for a UFC title AFTER all of that.

and yet he fought for a UFC title. look, i'm not a scientist but if he didn't think he could win he wouldn't have taken the fight. he also LOOKED practically the same. he didn't need to build any serious muscle because he was already insanely muscular. i get it, he was on his way down and not on his way up, but still like i said, he fought for a UFC title AFTER all of that.
Oh no doubt, Reem was always dangerous. He made some great adjustments later in his career. But immediately coming back after the PED failure, he lost 2 in a row and 3 out of his first 4. It definitely affected him. And I disagree about his appearance, he was noticeably softer. Still lots of muscle, but not the same.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/10...verage-at-best-had-he-come-to-the-ufc-in-2009

“Versus Brock Lesnar, I’ll give you that. I think he beats Brock Lesnar. But outside of that, I don’t think Fedor competes very well in the UFC. I think that, honestly, Fedor not going to the UFC allowed for the intrigue to stay, but the reality of the situation is he would not have done well against those guys like JDS (Junior dos Santos), he wasn’t beating Cain Velasquez, he would have struggled with guys like Cheick Kongo. He was not beating those guys that were at the top of the UFC at that time. I’m certain of it.

“I know you’re gonna say, ‘ Well he beat this guy, he beat (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira and he beat Frank Mir.’ For as great as he is, he would have been, at that time in the sport, average at best. I’m telling you. Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC between 2009-11, average at best.”

Do you agree?
I do agree 100%. Fedor is a great fighter in his time, yes. But compared to any of the well rounded fighters today, he is way overrated and will get wrecked by anyone in the top 10.

How did this get 33 pages? Fedor being average in 2009 is a fact.

09 was right around when he started to decline. You could see it in the Brett Rogers fight. Still, Cain and JDS hadn't really reached their primes, and any version of Fedor beats any version of Brock, Carwin, or anybody else in the UFC at that time

I thin Brock would’ve beaten Fedor pretty soundly. Fedora best attribute is that he’s explosive but I could see Brock exploding for a power double then top controlling Fedor.

I give Fedor a punches chance against Cain but I think for the most part a healthy Cain would steam roll him, I think JDS has slicker boxing better jab, quicker. DC I think also has slicker inside boxing, better grappling he would be favoured. I think Izzy, Jones beats him. Francis will take his head off. Stipe would beat him. I think Fedor beats Mir, Nog(obviously) Randys of the world. I think Fedor against most sanctioned competition mixed time lines is indeed average and would have a Roller Coaster record.

DC was a lot closer to 'average at best' throughout his career than fedor.

In fact I'd say prime fedor beats prime DC almost 10/10 times.
LMAO... you are obviously a huge fan boy.. no real fighting fan would think that... its actually the complete opposite.. its a nightmare match up for fedor and he would get absolutely dominated by DC and i dislike DC greatly...

Back