DCEU vs MCU

In the year 2019 (and every year before 2019), the 20-35 different films (plus all of the different TV series) have ABSOLUTELY set the standard for Marvel Comic Books to be adapted into films, TV series, and every other type of screen.

Is that you, Mr. Feige?

The movies are trash. They don't have anything interesting going on. An MCU movie is the $300 million equivalent of kids playing with their action figures. The Russo brothers never directed an interesting scene in their life. They are TV directors. That's why the films are so mediocre looking despite their huge budgets. Look at what Zack Snyder does visually compared to the Russo brothers. It is no contest.

The MCU movies are more popular because of children. They are one superhero cameo scene to the next strung together for 2 hours. DC movies make you think. Children don't like to think. And children don't have an eye for cinematography, action choreography, or mise-en-scene. They just want to see their action figure on screen. That's what you get with MCU movies.

Batman v Superman has more going on under the surface than the entire MCU.

I preferer DCEU's approach of gearing things towards adults. The problem is that the scripts for BvS and Justice League were horrible.

If they had the right writers things would be much different.

The Russo brothers never directed an interesting scene in their life.
Goddamnit, this would've been a perfect post if it weren't for that line.

tumblr_oa8jo5KVoR1vz3toro3_250.gif

Goddamnit, this would've been a perfect post if it weren't for that line.

tumblr_oa8jo5KVoR1vz3toro3_250.gif

Nah, the Russo brothers are visually inept directors. They are TV directors, that is their background. Marvel hires a great crew with all that $$$. When it comes to choreographing action and the camera movements that go along with it. Just compare any Zack Snyder action scene to any Russo brothers action scene. That forest scene in Infinity War (the last MCU I saw) looked like a scene from a TV show.

They stole Neil Blomkammp's cinematographer too. And that guy did way more interesting work with Blomkammp. Even though Blomkammp's movies are trash, they are visually more interesting than Russo brothers.

Man of Steel is still one of my favorite superhero movies (mainly due to Michael Shannon's Zodd and the chick who played Faora). Cavill was perfectly cast as Superman. Best score IMO for superhero flicks as well. Warner Bros had a great start and completely blew it.

Aside from MoS, the DCEU never even achieved liftoff due to rushed worldbuilding, shoddy plot development, and an overly serious (almost gloomy) cinematic tone which suited certain characters like Batman but was out of place for the other heroes.

Suicide Squad was really bad. BvS was hot garbage. WW was refreshingly good. JL was really bad. Never even bothered to see Aquaman or Shazam.

DC is complete garbage compared to the MCU. How is this even up for debate.

I'll tell you how.

Good DC Movies:
Man of Steel
BvS Ultimate Edition
Wonder Woman
Aquaman

That's four.

Good Marvel Movies:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor: Ragnarok
Dr. Strange

That's three.

Four beats three.

I'll tell you how.

Good DC Movies:
Man of Steel
BvS Ultimate Edition
Wonder Woman
Aquaman

That's four.

Good Marvel Movies:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor: Ragnarok
Dr. Strange

That's three.

Four beats three.

Go back to bed

Nah, the Russo brothers are visually inept directors. They are TV directors, that is their background. Marvel hires a great crew with all that $$$. When it comes to choreographing action and the camera movements that go along with it. Just compare any Zack Snyder action scene to any Russo brothers action scene. That forest scene in Infinity War (the last MCU I saw) looked like a scene from a TV show.

They stole Neil Blomkammp's cinematographer too. And that guy did way more interesting work with Blomkammp. Even though Blomkammp's movies are trash, they are visually more interesting than Russo brothers.
Oh, you meant "interesting scene" only in terms of visuals. If that's the criteria, then yeah, Snyder blows them out of the water. Kal vs Zod in MoS is still my favorite superhero fight scene of all time. I was pretty blown away when I saw it in theaters. Really gave the feel of "yup, that's what happens when two gods go at it". Throw that awesome musical score on top and goddamn chills.

Oh, you meant "interesting scene" only in terms of visuals. If that's the criteria, then yeah, Snyder blows them out of the water. Kal vs Zod in MoS is still my favorite superhero fight scene of all time. I was pretty blown away when I saw it in theaters. Really gave the feel of "yup, that's what happens when two gods go at it".

Exactly. You feel the weight of every hit, every landing. They aren't pulling the camera away when shit gets too crazy or hard to do they just keep going further and deeper with the action which you just don't see in the MCU movies. It is no question that Snyder is in another league than the Russo's.

It's like watching a Christopher Nolan movie like Inception or Interstellar. There are hints at something visually awesome going on. But whenever the camera get just to the point of taking the scene visually to the next level, as in a long tracking shot or something like that, they cut away. They cut the shot. At THAT moment. Because things at THAT moment become too difficult, with integrated the live action and the CGI with the camera work. And it's those moments where Snyder DOESN'T cut away, he lets the shot keep going. He takes the challenge. He dives in. Those shots in Man of Steel are an order of magnitude more complicated than anything in Infinity War (last MCU I saw) and it came out FOUR YEARS EARLIER!

I worry that Phase 4 is going to take a real downturn as they've told some of their biggest stories.

Not really. Once XMen and the mutants come online there are plenty of stories to use. Once FF comes online we have access to Galactus and Annihilus. And they can honestly take their time rebuilding the Avengers as long as the core of GotG are together and Thor is kicking around. The only misstep I feel could happen are with Shang Chi and the Eternals. Everything else will be good to go.

This whole thread is just an opinion piece from a DC Stan with zero real proof. There is no doubt that Warner could make a good movie if they wanted to. Warner just wants to fast track everything to catch up to the MCU and is making questionable choices. Like shoehorning The Death of Superman and The Dark Knight Returns story arcs into BvS. Both of those stories were movie worthy on their own, and oh by the way...meet Wonder Woman. So yeah, until Warner wants to put in the work to "do it right", they are going to continue to get shit on.

The Marvel movies are straight trash. Only children would find them entertaining.

I liked Man Of Steel and BvS more than most MCU movies. Suicide Squad and Justice League were complete garbage though. I don't care about Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

Not really. Once XMen and the mutants come online there are plenty of stories to use. Once FF comes online we have access to Galactus and Annihilus. And they can honestly take their time rebuilding the Avengers as long as the core of GotG are together and Thor is kicking around. The only misstep I feel could happen are with Shang Chi and the Eternals. Everything else will be good to go.

Exactly! "Oh they have these X-Men guys they can use now, and these Fantastic Four over here and etc etc..." MCU is fucking assembly line art. Always they ask "How many more characters can we fit in?" because they know each character has their audience so adding more characters = more $$$ and the "plots" are so basic as to become interchangeable along with the characters in them.

DC movies suck outside of the Batman movies.

It's not their fault though. They don't have good characters to work with. Superman, wonder woman, and Aquaman are all very cheesy lame concepts that are severely outdated.

DC needs to focus on their lesser known characters because they are more interesting. Making a suicide squad movie was a good idea for them but unfortunately the filmmakers they hired for that really executed it poorly.

Part of the problem really though is DC make films for dorks, the kind of people who obsess about "power levels" and "wouldn't it be cool for X to fight Y" plus uses the word "nerfed" a lot. Add in a cheesey grimdark tone that such people think is "adult" and you have a formula with very limited appeal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back