Media DDP seems to have the champion mindset

Wormwood

Rest in Peace BWR
@Black
Reaction score
Of course true or not, people can say whatever they want in an interview. However, based on what DDP says in this interview he seems to have a championship mindset.

some cliffs:
1. When asked was he apprehensive about the UFC possibly not giving him a title shot after he turned down the fight with Izzy due to an injury, DDP responded no. He stated he would just fight another contender until the UFC could not deny him a title shot. DDP stated whether he fights the #2 or #3 contender before he has the belt or after he has it is irrelevant because he has the mindset to fight all top contenders because that’s what champions do.

2, When asked if he plans to bring up Sean’s childhood again, DDP responded no. He stated he starts all matches with respect to his opponent because he knows what he takes to enter the octagon. But he will treat an opponent how they treat him. That being said, DDP stated no need to bring it up again and it’s a clean slate.

3. Very complimentary towards Sean. Says he’s a great fighter, likes him as a person.

4. On Khamzat deserving a title shot. Based on Khamzat’s accomplishments at MW - no. But will be happy to fight whoever the UFC puts him front of him if he is champion.

5. Has thought about winning the UFC title at least once a day, sometimes 100’s of times, for the last decade.

6. The last press conference was joking time. He’s in a different mindset now. It’s time to fight and win the belt. Is expecting the press conference to be professional, but never know with Sean.

Don’t know how it’ll affect the fight, but Dricus seems to be in a better place mentally before the fight. DDP’s advice to Strickland about using anger as a motivation: “Be calm….if you’re motivated by anger, your demise is right around the corner.”

Last edited:
As a Strickland fan, I should dislike the guy but can't bring myself to.

I still hope he loses but seems like a pretty decent dude for the most part.
I’m pretty neutral with both… watch their fights, but can’t say either is on my favorite fighter list.. that being said, hard not to respect DDP’s mindset and also what Sean has achieved through his hard work despite a sh#tty upbringing. Looking forward to a good fight.

As a Strickland fan

tenor.gif

he has the "aura" and can put two words together. but the way he fights tho.. thats not good his longevity

Definitely coming across as mentally way tougher than Strickland, at least for the verbal trash talking side.
Hopefully this experience makes Strickland humble...don't dish it out if you can't take it.

The more I see of Dricus the more I like him. I didn't like him bringing up Sean's childhood just on principle, but honestly Sean has no right to get pissed based on what he has said in the past on all manner of topics. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

I was a fan of Dricus from the first time I saw him in the UFC, and I've been saying since the Whittaker fight he's the best MW on the planet right now. He's going to roll Strickland like a ball because he has it ALL together. He can do everything at a high level, he has ridiculous athleticism, and on top of it all his mindset is one of the best I have ever seen in MMA.

War DDP. I'm looking forward to this weekend.

Sean is always looking for cheap shots but when people does the same he cries like a little bitch. At least DDP is his opponent but he is even talking about fighters who has nothing to do with him so O'Malley did a great job by talking about his past. Garry and Strickland has the same bitch ass mindset. Talking about people's wife, printing their mugshot, their childhood are all same. If you bring personal shit then there are no rules.

Sean is always looking for cheap shots but when people does the same he cries like a little bitch. At least DDP is his opponent but he is even talking about fighters who has nothing to do with him so O'Malley did a great job by talking about his past. Garry and Strickland has the same bitch ass mindset. Talking about people's wife, printing their mugshot, their childhood are all same. If you bring personal shit then there are no rules.
Dricus made the point in the interview, if Sean wants to be the tough guy persona, it would have served his popularity to stick with it… but the moment he complained about where the line should be drawn, he probably lost some fans…

But maybe that’s what makes him popular with some fans… the fact he says what’s on his mind whether it makes him look good or bad.

It's hard not to like DDP. Just seems like an all around top G.

Can't wait for this matchup. Genuinely can't predict who will come out on top here.

Dricus made the point in the interview, if Sean wants to be the tough guy persona, it would have served his popularity to stick with it… but the moment he complained about where the line should be drawn, he probably lost some fans…

But maybe that’s what makes him popular with some fans… the fact he says what’s on his mind whether it makes him look good or bad.
He probably lost around 2-3 fans lol Because fans think fighter they love is always right. For example they don't care about people talking about Garry's wife because they hate him but if Garry was the one talking about some fighters wife, they would've said ''talking about other men wife is a POS move!''
So most of them think what Sean says is normal but them talking about his childhood is crossing the line.

Honestly how could you not like such an eloquent, down-to-earth and good looking African guy?

Back