Multiplatform DEAD SPACE [REMAKE] has arrived (January 27th 2023)

tenor.gif

Finished Chapter 5, and holy fuck was that intense with that regenerator took me a bit to figure out how to 'beat' him.

Taking my time because first playthroughs of these types of games are so precious. Ever wish you could play your favorite games ever for the 1st time again? Well this checks so many boxes for my preferences of fiction its probably going to be a long time before I get another game experience like this again.

Especially with the developer now working on a fucking Iron Man game.

For those who are itching for more Dead Space, if you haven't seen the straight-to-dvd movies or haven't watched them in over a decade... they're quickly downloaded through...

tenor.gif

Both movies, one set before DS1 and the other between DS1 & DS2, are just over 70 minutes and worth watching... for free. They're each 2.5GB so they're decent quality.

They're also on YouTube, but the quality is shit and hindu subtitles are embedded in the video. Not recommended.

Here's the trailers -

For those who are itching for more Dead Space, if you haven't seen the straight-to-dvd movies or haven't watched them in over a decade... they're quickly downloaded through...

tenor.gif

Both movies, one set before DS1 and the other between DS1 & DS2, are just over 70 minutes and worth watching... for free. They're each 2.5GB so they're decent quality.

They're also on YouTube, but the quality is shit and hindu subtitles are embedded in the video. Not recommended.

Here's the trailers -

Fucking EA can be such cancer. They had a great survival horror franchise, with super intriguing lore, that didn't need to be a blockbuster Triple A game. I'm glad they pumped some money into it with these films and comics, but they needed to temper expectations.

DS2 sold better and had rave reviews, but from what I recall they wanted it to be more than what it could be too quickly, hence the action-oriented DS3.

Resident 4 shook some feathers!

The imaginative developers that gave you a remake of a game that was made by a different team lol
Nothing against Motive, I just don't think the creator of the tweet really thought through the continuity very well.

Fucking EA can be such cancer. They had a great survival horror franchise, with super intriguing lore, that didn't need to be a blockbuster Triple A game. I'm glad they pumped some money into it with these films and comics, but they needed to temper expectations.

DS2 sold better and had rave reviews, but from what I recall they wanted it to be more than what it could be too quickly, hence the action-oriented DS3.

It's funny you mention RE4. Maybe someone's already mentioned this, maybe not. The original plan was to make it more like System Shock. When RE4 was released Visceral agreed they wanted to take it in that direction.

I've got no desire to play the DS remake, especially with the shitty performance issues EA neglected to address, as well as some of the retarded changes they made, but I played the hell out of the original. Still one of my old favorites. Having said that I really wonder what a non Gears/RE4/GoW Dead Space game would have been like, with more of a focus on abilities.

It's funny you mention RE4. Maybe someone's already mentioned this, maybe not. The original plan was to make it more like System Shock. When RE4 was released Visceral agreed they wanted to take it in that direction.

I've got no desire to play the DS remake, especially with the shitty performance issues EA neglected to address, as well as some of the retarded changes they made, but I played the hell out of the original. Still one of my old favorites. Having said that I really wonder what a non Gears/RE4/GoW Dead Space game would have been like, with more of a focus on abilities.
heheh, I might have in another thread, got really invested into the series a few years ago, I love the lore. I remember their DS pitch being being something like "Space Horror", or something like that. I'm glad they did what they did though, as I doubt they had the immersive sim chops to pull of System Shock, would have been cool to see though! They did make that awesome LOTR Third Age RPG, so who knows!

I couldn't get into RE4 for a long time. The field of view is nauseating, and I didn't like the controls. Dead Space 1/2 did what RE4/5 wouldn't let you do, walk and shoot, while still being scary. Capcom always seems to think that a claustrophobic FOV makes a game scarier. My stomach is thankful for mods!

EA really ruined a great thing, hopefully this a redemption arc for Dead Space. I think it would make an amazing film/tv series with the right director.

tenor.gif

Here's the trailers -

Both movies are actually on Tubi at the moment, which is basically a free Netflix-like streaming app that has commercials. Likely good quality and I would assume no Hindi subtitles.

as well as some of the retarded changes they made
What are these changes? Every fan of the original I’ve seen absolutely loved the remake. Shitty PC performance aside.

Alright, finally finished at around 15 hours. Absolutely awesome game and I can’t believe it took me this long to beat it. Everything I’ve said this game maintained until the end. Tension, atmosphere, great combat, enemies, sound design, etc., all were awesome throughout the experience.

I’m not sure if it came from playing on hard but one thing I found as a weird +/- was the variety in weapons. What I mean is that it was cool to have so much to choose from but the lack of nodes made it to where you essentially had to pick a few and stick with them which as a result limits how many are viable in a play through. You can do some experimenting but there aren’t nearly enough resources to go deep into upgrades on a large variety.

Outside of that there’s some glitches and performance issues that aren’t huge but worth mentioning.

I stick by what I said about this being a mixture of Doom 3/RE4. It has that paranoid, hallucinatory feeling of Doom 3 coupled with the over the shoulder, claustrophobic action of RE4. Big compliment as those are two of my favorite games.

Tits/10 and a game that will definitely have a home in my rotation of classics.

I guess there’s an inevitable comparison between Callisto Protocol and Dead Space. And having played both for the first time back to back like this I feel it’s a fine forum to express what I thought about both.

I was actually shocked at how much the development team lifted from their old series. What was interesting though is that Callisto ended up feeling like a beta version of Dead Space even though they’re 10+ years apart.

I thought the presentation was better in Callisto but that’s really about it. Maybe the melee combat was executed better as well? It’s pretty clunky in Dead Space.

Outside of that though everything is better and I really enjoyed CP just nowhere near as much as I did DS.

Dead Space is a classic, Callisto was a good first (second?) attempt.

Last edited:

I know shitting on EA is extremely popular and I've done my share of it, but the problem is they invested heavily into DS1 & DS2 back in the day and they wanted 'Resident Evil' - like sales numbers... because they wanted their own Resident Evil franchise.

The problem with that is Resident Evil started off small, and became bigger over the years, and expanded into movies, books, etc... to be a HUGE franchise across the world. EA was hoping to skip the line with two big-budget survival horror games that actually are awesome games and didn't sell anywhere as good as they deserved.

With the third... well... we all know what happened with the 3rd.

The simple fact is sometimes great games just don't sell well, and its not necessarily anyone's fault its just poor timing. But in Dead Space's case I think EA's marketing team just had no fucking clue how to market a horror title.

IMHO, the cover art for all 4 games have been 'meh' at best.

R.5d45637c1920edb08ec6e628cdcea627

R.1f8811842040fb9f6f6bf50a80964d82

R.82e0c8f6f29dbf2a9163198344ab34d2

Yes, I'm including the Remake's cover art as 'meh' too.

electronic-arts-dead-space-ps5-game__76487.1665398577.jpg

And how about those shitty TV ads?

So, EA wanted Dead Space to be their Resident Evil, and they heavily invested in it to be their Resident Evil and they made two great/awesome games... but sadly it was their piss-poor marketing that sunk DS1 & DS2's sales.

Now compare those commercials to Callisto Protocol's commercials.

That's a 10/10 horror game commercial.

But it wasn't just the marketing, CP's hype was extremely high throughout the year due to the amazing trailers they strategically released. Don't think any of the DS games ever had anything close to hype that big.

That's why it wouldn't surprise me if the Dead Space Remake didn't sell as well as CP, sadly. And CP is viewed as a failure by their publisher, so unless the DS Remake had a significantly smaller budget than anyone predicted it very clear it'll be viewed by EA as being a failure as well.

Damn... didn't mean for this post to be this long when I first started typing it.

I know shitting on EA is extremely popular and I've done my share of it, but the problem is they invested heavily into DS1 & DS2 back in the day and they wanted 'Resident Evil' - like sales numbers... because they wanted their own Resident Evil franchise.

The problem with that is Resident Evil started off small, and became bigger over the years, and expanded into movies, books, etc... to be a HUGE franchise across the world. EA was hoping to skip the line with two big-budget survival horror games that actually are awesome games and didn't sell anywhere as good as they deserved.

With the third... well... we all know what happened with the 3rd.

The simple fact is sometimes great games just don't sell well, and its not necessarily anyone's fault its just poor timing. But in Dead Space's case I think EA's marketing team just had no fucking clue how to market a horror title.

IMHO, the cover art for all 4 games have been 'meh' at best.

R.5d45637c1920edb08ec6e628cdcea627

R.1f8811842040fb9f6f6bf50a80964d82

R.82e0c8f6f29dbf2a9163198344ab34d2

Yes, I'm including the Remake's cover art as 'meh' too.

electronic-arts-dead-space-ps5-game__76487.1665398577.jpg

And how about those shitty TV ads?

So, EA wanted Dead Space to be their Resident Evil, and they heavily invested in it to be their Resident Evil and they made two great/awesome games... but sadly it was their piss-poor marketing that sunk DS1 & DS2's sales.

Now compare those commercials to Callisto Protocol's commercials.

That's a 10/10 horror game commercial.

But it wasn't just the marketing, CP's hype was extremely high throughout the year due to the amazing trailers they strategically released. Don't think any of the DS games ever had anything close to hype that big.

That's why it wouldn't surprise me if the Dead Space Remake didn't sell as well as CP, sadly. And CP is viewed as a failure by their publisher, so unless the DS Remake had a significantly smaller budget than anyone predicted it very clear it'll be viewed by EA as being a failure as well.

Damn... didn't mean for this post to be this long when I first started typing it.

That's exactly what I'm saying, they wanted sales numbers the franchise wasn't ready to deliver, or might never. They had movies, comics, rail shooters etc... I'm glad we got all that, I ate it all up, as it was top shelf for the most part. However, it was a foolish investment, especially when they forced the devs to deviate (DS3) from what made the series special. Classic EA.

That's exactly what I'm saying, they wanted sales numbers the franchise wasn't ready to deliver, or might never. They had movies, comics, rail shooters etc... I'm glad we got all that, I ate it all up, as it was top shelf for the most part. However, it was a foolish investment, especially when they forced the devs to deviate (DS3) from what made the series special. Classic EA.

Minus the microtransactions & lame love triangle, DS3 basically was following the Resident Evil 5 formula.

More action-based gameplay than horror & Co-Op.

And.... it didn't work.

Also, regarding the franchise... I've never liked the title 'Dead Space.' The title with the box art & commercials sank the appeal it could have had. Bet if they put their brains together they could have come up with a better title.

Minus the microtransactions & lame love triangle, DS3 basically was following the Resident Evil 5 formula.

More action-based gameplay than horror & Co-Op.

And.... it didn't work.

Also, regarding the franchise... I've never liked the title 'Dead Space.' The title with the box art & commercials sank the appeal it could have had. Bet if they put their brains together they could have come up with a better title.
I liked the title, but the box art def sucked. The draw for me was a sci-fi Resident evil 4-like, but you can shoot and move.

I hadn't looked at the sales figures for the remake, hoped it would sell well so they'll do the sequel and hopefully improve the 3rd. I didn't realize they sold it as a full priced AAA game, that was another mistake.

They made some welcome changes/improvements from what I saw, but they followed most of the template; far easier to make than a brand new IP. They shot themselves in the foot with that, as I'm sure it could have been profitable at a lower price, and more attractive to existing fans. It's still too fresh for me to pay that much.

I liked the title, but the box art def sucked. The draw for me was a sci-fi Resident evil 4-like, but you can shoot and move.

Speaking as someone that loves survival horror, and knew of Dead Space in the late 2000s from the horrible box art, the lame title, and the lame commercial I saw once or twice.

I immediately rejected it. It was only in the mid-2010s I began listening to numerous YouTubers making videos of how awesome the first two games were.

I hadn't looked at the sales figures for the remake, hoped it would sell well so they'll do the sequel and hopefully improve the 3rd. I didn't realize they sold it as a full priced AAA game, that was another mistake.

I disagree since it looks like it was given a Triple-A budget, but hopefully there'll be a price drop within two or three months.

I disagree since it looks like it was given a Triple-A budget, but hopefully there'll be a price drop within two or three months.
I can't find what their budget was, but I'm seeing that they sold it for the recent $10 hike on PS5/Xbox X AAA games, but the normal AAA price on PC.

I don't see how remaking something, near 1 to 1, needs to cost as much as a brand new IP, or new storyline from an existing one. Motive is very familiar with the Frostbite engine too.

I hope it made enough to justify a DS2 remake though. If you liked DS1 (have you played the remake yet?), you're going to love that! Check out the movies too, but be sure to watch in proper order to the games.

I can't find what their budget was, but I'm seeing that they sold it for the recent $10 hike on PS5/Xbox X AAA games, but the normal AAA price on PC.

I don't see how remaking something, near 1 to 1, needs to cost as much as a brand new IP, or new storyline from an existing one. Motive is very familiar with the Frostbite engine too.

Is the Remake's credits shorter than the original's?

Back