Elections Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear wins re-election in Kentucky + other recent election thoughts

All a democrat has to do is...not actually be a democrat, then they win. Amazing
Imagine if republicans ran slightly more towards the middle and distance themselves from the MAGA cult? Maybe they can capture more moderates. It's not like the MAGA wackos are going to vote anything other than R anyway.

Yeah i liked Beto as well, but if he didnt say shit about guns he easily would have won. Reality is nobody here actually likes abbot or Turd cruze

"Man I really like me some Beedo but he done gone and said he was gonna take muh gunz" - Texas

Obviously if he won it would’ve been all thanks to Trump. But now that he lost, it had nothing to do with Trump.

Imagine if republicans ran slightly more towards the middle and distance themselves from the MAGA cult? Maybe they can capture more moderates. It's not like the MAGA wackos are going to vote anything other than R anyway.
I actually agree with you on this.

Youngkin was also up to shenanigans:

“The Governor has deemed you ineligible for rights restoration at this time,” the emails state while telling applicants they can reapply in a year.

Applicants received no explanation or justification for their denials, while the state has provided no stated standards for who is eligible or ineligible for restored voting rights, the NAACP said in a statement Monday.

In a late August email released by the state, someone who was clearly upset by the rejection pressed for more information.

“Is there a reason why?” wrote the person, whose name was redacted. “After all I feel I deserve an explanation because I’m not a violent felon and I am trying to do something with my life. I wanted to start taking classes towards law enforcement to be on the right side of the law instead of the wrong. This is very discouraging.”

In Virginia, a felony conviction automatically results in the loss of certain rights such as voting, serving on a jury, running for office or carrying a firearm. The governor has the sole discretion to restore them — with the exception of firearms rights, which only a court can do.

Youngkin’s handling of the process has been under scrutiny for months after his administration confirmed it had shifted away from an at least partly automatic restoration system used by his predecessors. At least three lawsuits have been filed challenging what critics call an opaque process that could result in discrimination."

This, of course, disproportionately effected black voters:

"She said the administration has produced approximately 680 pages of records, some of which the governor was not required to produce under public records laws.

The documents released Friday include requests by the Youngkin administration for information about applicants from various state agencies, including Virginia's Department of Elections.

The NAACP said the request was "puzzling" and suggested information being gathered was “likely to include voting history.” The group noted that Youngkin has refused ”to publicly state how he uses this information to determine whether to restore a citizen’s voting rights."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wu...tions/65-7e907603-69df-432d-931b-ea9f72cecc39

No clear guidelines on who gets voting rights restored or denied, background information requested that is likely to include voting History. Lol

I think the far right abortion stance realy hurt. Democrats ran pushing that and that was smart.

Republicans have to move center right on that. It needs to be available but with restrictions. They need to cone out in support of it with restrictions. It's all in how it would be presented. This is the major center right position.

Cheers we need to get back to the middle. Both sides.

Republicans swept everything else in Kentucky which means Beshear is not going to be able to do what Newsom can in California.

I am center right, and can't stand evangelicals or the politicians that hitch themselves to Trump. Trump took over the Republican party and made it way worse for moderates.

Vivek is a moron but this is how republicans think. Its just a framing issue. Women will understand if we keep talking about it enough.

A greater financial burden on men? It's already 20% plus healthcare. How much more fucking money does this man want to take? Even when I told my wife how much she'd be getting if we ever got divorced she couldn't believe it.

Not sure what it's going to take for republicans to get the message that abortion is losing them races but whatever looks like they want to learn the hard way.

A greater financial burden on men? It's already 20% plus healthcare. How much more fucking money does this man want to take? Even when I told my wife how much she'd be getting if we ever got divorced she couldn't believe it.

Not sure what it's going to take for republicans to get the message that abortion is losing them races but whatever looks like they want to learn the hard way.

They can't back off of Dobbs. It's their greatest accomplishment that came out of Trump's administration...of they back off it now they have to admit they f*cked up and Conservatives hate little more than re-thinking their ideologies. Also the big money donors see it as workforce protection. They're stuck on this, and it crashes their general election appeal

Yup. He’s saying putting issues people care about directly on the ballot gets more people to the polls. More voters is always bad for the gop.

That's been becoming less true and probably isn't the case now. The main factor in the change is probably the rise of educational polarization (college grads were 14% more likely to be Republicans in 1960 and 14% more likely to be Democrats now--and it was about even in the late W. years), as college graduates are much more likely to vote in low-turnout elections.

That's been becoming less true and probably isn't the case now. The main factor in the change is probably the rise of educational polarization (college grads were 14% more likely to be Republicans in 1960 and 14% more likely to be Democrats now--and it was about even in the late W. years), as college graduates are much more likely to vote in low-turnout elections.
Maybe. But that's what he meant by "secret sauce". Put some issue that motivates voters (especially young voters) on ballots, more people show up to vote, republicans running on that ballot are more likely to lose.

Maybe. But that's what he meant by "secret sauce". Put some issue that motivates voters (especially young voters) on ballots, more people show up to vote, republicans running on that ballot are more likely to lose.

Yeah, I think he and probably most Republicans don't realize the change (which is very recent, and probably a main driver of consistent unexpectedly strong performance by Democrats in recent years). I wonder if it will lead to some political changes (like more GOP support for measures to make voting easier). Possibly not because you can still do targeted suppression.

Yeah, I think he and probably most Republicans don't realize the change (which is very recent, and probably a main driver of consistent unexpectedly strong performance by Democrats in recent years). I wonder if it will lead to some political changes (like more GOP support for measures to make voting easier). Possibly not because you can still do targeted suppression.
This is pretty interesting and the first I've heard this take. It's basically taken for granted that turnout hurts gop for a long time now. Even so, I am all for making it easier to vote regardless of who it helps, so I'm rooting for that result.

This is pretty interesting and the first I've heard this take. It's basically taken for granted that turnout hurts gop for a long time now. Even so, I am all for making it easier to vote regardless of who it helps, so I'm rooting for that result.

Agreed on the last point.

Back