Do people actually believe Du Plessis can beat Adesanya?

How does he win?

I just don't see him finishing Izzy or lasting 5 rounds with the kind of effort it'll take to outpoint him.

Well, Dricus is a former WAKO champ. Wich I know is no glory or k-1, but it is the major organization in amateur kickboxing, so I wouldn’t underestimate his kickboxing skills. He seems to mix it up very well with his overall mma game.

also, I believe the nose surgery he had was absolutely huge into pulling his game together. Not being able to breathe properly is a major factor. Last night was not the same as his previous fights. He was not breathing heavy whatsoever. Compare that to the Till fight and it was night and day really.

I do agree about the quick turn around though. It is rather quick. He didn’t seem to take any real damage in the fight but who knows what injuries he had before hand. At least he is already in fight shape and Izzy has been partying and not been in camp (although he’s mostly likely always in a decent condition and helping hooker/volk train)

also also, he used to be welterweight champ in ksw and efc but his last fight there was 2018. So I don’t know the difference to his size now to then

Side not that is kind of ironic. Anyone think it funny that this fight has to happen in 9 weeks to be on the Australian card because Izzy is the “hometown” main event that they want to put on there? Why not have this one on Africa? Either way they walk out with an African champ. Have usman on the card. Other African fighters. Plus it would be Dana’s biggest fuck you to Francis. To finally go to Africa and him not be on the card.

He's a dog, but a live one. I would've thought that Whittaker is a tougher fight for him than Adesanya

I think Adesanya counters the shit out of him and pieces him up, but I also thought Bobby Knux would clown him, so who knows.

I was surprised at how strong he was last night. Literally manhandled Whitaker like a child.

If he is able to make it ugly with Izzy, it might be interesting.

I thought Whitaker was gonna run through him so I dont think it matters what I think

Ts is right, but people in this thread talking about him beating whittaker like whittaker didn't lunge straight into a punch with his chin up and his hands down. Adesanya doesn't do that. There's levels to this game, and adesanya's patience, distance control, and footwork will shut down DuPlessis.

It depends on the quality of DDP's gameplan and how much Dricus will follow it

If he'll have the arrogance to stand and bang, Izzy will start chopping his legs down from 10 feet away and the fight will be over before touching gloves

I agree, but Jan, who is a fighter of average ability overall, with no standout skills and somewhat plodding, dominated purely based on size and grappling. Hopefully he can grind Adesanya without engaging in some striking war, otherwise he’ll get destroyed.

Hello, Joe Rogan. The first three rounds took place on the feet and Jan won 2 out've the three on all the judge's scorecards.

He only has 7 weeks until he's supposed to fighy Adesanya? That's some #1 bullshit. UFC must be worried about him winning or something.

I see Izzy taking a clear-cut decision. Maybe Du Plessis could emulate a gameplan similar to Blachowicz where implementing occasional takedowns would stifle Izzy’s striking game but I don’t see him having an easy time taking Izzy down or possessing the grappling to take him off his game.

He seems very similar to Jan... so there's that.

Jan's godlike leg kicks were the big difference, the fact that Israel couldn't beat him in the distance meant that he had no answer to Jan refusing to keep his guard down no matter how much Israel feigned. Right now it is not clear to me what DPP can do to prevent Israel from just wrecking him from the distance. The reach advantage Israel (80") had over Jan (78") also is doubled vs DPP (76").

I think he can do that. He must follows jan's path to victory !

reminds me of stipe back then
people just thought of him as an average fighter
i hope i might see a new emerging fighter like him
dude has good takedowns as u can see in the robert fight
good stamina and just sticks his face at you constant pressure no rest

If he can get him down, sure. I don't think he will though. I wasn't impressed with his throw against Whittaker nor his takedowns in his previous fights, I mean Whittaker car crashed into the clinch with his usual blitzing style and gave him an easy throw. Izzy isn't going to be rushing in like that he'll be playing from the outside and Dricus is awful going forward, lunging with his chin up its why he was getting caught with those elbows by Till. Good luck with that against an elite counter striker in Izzy. He caught Whittaker lunging in with his blitz while not even looking at the shot.... I really don't see that working against a guy who uses his range as good as Izzy.

Last edited:
No but one can always hope. Way crazier things have happened in this sport.

You can never say never about anything in MMA.

Yes, Izzy is on a tremendous one fight winning streak , he is virtually unbeatable .

Back