Do people really like Alice in Chains?

Well by his own admission, he was pretty much always in an intensely dark state. Some people are natural morose all the time. I do still like everything he did, but their depressive stuff is really cathartic to me.

I think generally the best art comes from despair, particularly for music, so AIC certainly fit that bill. People often describe Coldplay similarly but I hate that shit.

I think generally the best art comes from despair, particularly for music, so AIC certainly fit that bill. People often describe Coldplay similarly but I hate that shit.
I agree.

All great art is made through suffering, or however that quote goes.

I really really dislike them. I was into the general grunge movement but I never understood why people like anything Layne did. Seemed like a bunch of depressing ramblings of a heroine addict. I don't get it.
The entire grunge movement was a bunch of depressing ramblings of heroine addicts. Many of them OD'd or killed themselves. That being said, Alice n Chains is one of the best of the era, and still sound great today.

AiC = great band

Bar Of Flies is a masterpiece!

AIC is my all time favorite band and still listen to them daily.. Their new stuff obviously isnt the same but I still blast it.. My 4 year old daughter sings Voices chorus when it comes on

Their new stuff isn't bad by any means. You look at bands who change too much or bands that don't change at all, their music certainly ages better than say Metallica, or AC/DC.

If you hear AIC come on, you know it's AIC without a doubt, when they returned with "Check My Brain", it was undoubtedly an Alice in Chains song

I absolutely love AIC. They're definitely my favourite grunge band, miles ahead of Nirvana. I never got Nirvana tbh.
Anyway. The general sound of their music, the lyrics, Staley's voice... Just so damn good.

jar of flies is a great album. don't really listen to the rest of their albums.

jar of flies is a great album. don't really listen to the rest of their albums.

Man,you gotta listen to the self titled. Thats the endgame right there. The goddamned Culmination.

AIC has some really great qualities. They have good musicianship, great great vocal harmonies and lots of style. However their subject matter is adolescent at best and that has made them age very poorly for me. I just start laughing now when I hear something like "sitting in my angry chair."

Seems like only TS dislikes AiC heheh. Good job sherdog.

AIC has some really great qualities. They have good musicianship, great great vocal harmonies and lots of style. However their subject matter is adolescent at best and that has made them age very poorly for me. I just start laughing now when I hear something like "sitting in my angry chair."
That's not an aic lyric.

I love Alice in Chains. But I've gotta be in the right mood to listen to them.

Jar of flies is my favorite. The unplugged album is good too

I really really dislike them. I was into the general grunge movement but I never understood why people like anything Layne did. Seemed like a bunch of depressing ramblings of a heroine addict. I don't get it.

I think they have a few decent songs. One thing I noticed, when I saw them opening up for Velvet Revolver, was how slow their songs were -- the beat. It got old hearing the same slow beat over and over again.

They have a unique style. Many people with vastly different tastes in music can listen to Alice in Chains and like them.
Yeah, I really like their harmonies and guitar playing. Especially on I Stay Away. Just a really unique song with what the base and guitar are doing.

So you are complaining out depressing ramblings and saying you were into grunge????

Back