Do you believe Conor would have been more successful if moved to a major gym?

Meulenhof

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I don't think so, Conor's self confidence is made of being the best in the gym, having all the attention towards him, if he decided to move to a major gym he would get exposed on the mat a lot.
And that won't be good for his ego and for his image.
I believe training at SBG with this team brought him this far, I think he lacks good training partners.
He can bring in probably any guy he wants (not counting Alpha Male fighters or guys who he fought).

Thoughts?

Conor would get slapped at another gym.

if he decided to move to a major gym he would get exposed on the mat a lot.
And that won't be good for his ego and for his image.

Better than getting "exposed" on the mat in a UFC fight, is it not?

He'd be demoted to white belt if he joined the 209 gym.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/999867/crazy-:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:-o.gif

By more successful, do you mean multiple championships??

No.

He is already the best fighter ever. You don't change things when it is working.

Better than getting "exposed" on the mat in a UFC fight, is it not?
if it was a grappling match and it happened then yeah, exposed, but the guy was gassed and rocked... and trying to grapple... everyone is a whitebelt in those conditions. I hate conor like everyone else but i dont have to make stuff up, he is an above average grappler. He proved it in the Holloway fight.

Why are we all pretending that Conor`s ground game is weak?? No one ever said he was the best grappler in the world or some shit like that so it`s not like he was overrated.
He is a brown belt who dominated guys like Hollaway on the ground, had a good defense against an elite wrestler like Mendes but got submitted by a black belt in Nate Diaz, well breaking news for you guys that`s what happens when a brown belt meets an elite black balt. By any means he got "exposed", Ronda got exposed for example.

Getting tapped by a Diaz is getting exposed now?

No, but showing zero offense off of your back against Mendes and getting submitted within 15 seconds when you were on the bottom in losses to Duffy and Diaz show his ground game is miles behind his striking. I don't get the logic behind "he shouldn't try to better himself because he'd fail in the gym."

if it was a grappling match and it happened then yeah, exposed, but the guy was gassed and rocked... and trying to grapple... everyone is a whitebelt in those conditions. I hate conor like everyone else but i dont have to make stuff up, he is an above average grappler. He proved it in the Holloway fight.

Pretty sure Holloway was a white belt at the time. But yeah, Conor's problems don't usually come from being on the top, it's the bottom where he has issues.

No, but showing zero offense off of your back against Mendes and getting submitted within 15 seconds when you were on the bottom in losses to Duffy and Diaz show his ground game is miles behind his striking. I don't get the logic behind "he shouldn't try to better himself because he'd fail in the gym."

Pretty sure Holloway was a white belt at the time. But yeah, Conor's problems don't usually come from being on the top, it's the bottom where he has issues.
if holloway is truly a white belt then that is absolutely shocking.... like maybe he isnt ranked training in a gi but i think holloway has to be a proficient grappler.

I think if he had moved to an acceptable height it would have worked out.

Camps are overrated. People are showing up on 1-2 weeks notice and winning championships these days. Stipe comes from a bum gym and beat KingsMMAs crown jewel.

He didn`t show zero offense against Mendes, he had some good elbows and the only reason why the got up was because of his ground skills, he rolled up to the left and Mendes was setting up a guillotine and moving to the right which cause Conor to be free and stand up.

Maybe, maybe not. I would question how well he'll continue to develop with his current training partners though.

He didn`t show zero offense against Mendes, he had some good elbows and the only reason why the got up was because of his ground skills, he rolled up to the left and Mendes was setting up a guillotine and moving to the right which cause Conor to be free and stand up.

Anyone can throw elbows on the ground. As far as moving his hips and looking for escapes, he was pretty much stuck there.

That Mendes guillotine was more of a desperation thing because he was gassed out of his fucking mind at that point. It was a neat escape from Conor, but he tried the same exact one against Diaz and it pretty much got him mounted. Shows me he's limited from the bottom.

Honestly, it's more his fault than SBG's
Kavanagh is a great grappling coach and he actually has one of the best grapplers in MMA at his disposal for a partner in Gunnar Nelson

Most fighters don't attack from the ground these days. How many triangles and arm bars from the bottom do we see in the ufc today?

And the Duffy fight was years ago. Many top fighters lost early in their careers. The blind Conor hate on here is laughable.

Back