News Do you blame Universities, Student Loan companies, or students?

We're just not going to agree on this then, and that's fine. I used to work in the financial industry, the vast majority of people have no idea of how disgustingly sleazy & predatory our lending practices were and still are. Knowing what I do, it's my opinion that lenders are just as much at fault as borrowers.
Yeah, apparently we won't.

I follow the most basic logic imaginable. If a person willingly takes something, in exchange for a promise to give something back, and then that person fails to honor his agreement, for whatever reason, that person is at fault for a breakdown of the agreement.

This is so simple that only partisan politics could render a person retarded enough to not comprehend its simplicity.

I follow the most basic logic imaginable. If a person willingly takes something, in exchange for a promise to give something back, and then that person fails to honor his agreement, for whatever reason, that person is at fault for a breakdown of the agreement.

We're now getting into contract law, you really don't want to open that can of worms. I don't get paid to deal with that shit anymore, our discussion is over.

I do think student loans are predatory in nature. The system was set up to help students but in actuality lenders and colleges are the ones whoses getting the most from it and the federal government is legitimizing this whole thing.

With that being said, I don't agree with wiping out the full loan like some people want. I do however sympathize with those who won't ever be able to pay off the loan due to the amount of interest. If we can find a fair compromise I am all for it

Lol. How is it a scam? Did the schools force them to go to school? Did they sign the loan when they couldn’t read?
MLM is a scam and they all sign up willingly. All kinds of scams rely on suckering people in. Tell me genius, do you have a degree?

Lol you fucking moron. Maybe if people learned responsibility instead of blaming others, then they could take care of their agreed to loans. You want to live in fantasy land where everything is handed to you on a silver platter. Wake up kiddo, that’s not reality for most people. Many have worked to pay off loans, it’s not impossible.
This is what is called a straw man argument. No one said it was impossible. No one said they shouldn't take responsibility. I said it's a scam and I can prove it. Do you have a degree? I'm dying to know. I don't have a degree. And all the biggest idiots I know loooooove their degree.

We're now getting into contract law, you really don't want to open that can of worms. I don't get paid to deal with that shit anymore, our discussion is over.
Spare me your lawyering bullshit. The question isn't framed as a legal one, but one of blame. That's in the thread title itself. This is about morality, not legality.

I don't care about complications of bankruptcy, financing, considerations of what is best as a matter of social engineering, or convoluted digressions into apologetic observations of human behavior & decisionmaking mapped out by academics. This is as basic as anything can be. It's so straightforward that a child could grasp it. Once this is acknowledged, we can move on to more complicated considerations of what is ideal as a matter of governance.

Because to deny the undeniably basic heart of the matter is the first step down a slippery slope that undermines any foundation of reason. What's next? So lawmakers pass laws that make it practically impossible to prosecute shoplifters. Shoplifters steal. Stores can't protect themselves, so they close. Now the service is gone, meaning consumers and shopkeepers alike suffer, and who is at fault? Some jackass out there will argue it's the stores because these types hate any corporation with wealth, and will find a way to blame high prices, or something something capitalism with a sob story about how the shoplifters had no choice because of their inherited conditions. You'll blame the lawmakers stating it was the laws they passed that led to an irresolvable situation resulting in the impasse.

But the obvious answer is the simplest one. While their kind might be inevitable, the people at fault for the fallout from theft always have been, and always will be thieves. Because the unspoken contract between shopkeeper and shopper is fundamentally the same as it is between borrower and lender even if the logistics of exchange are typically more immediate. If you take something, you agree to give something in return. If you take it, and you don't, what are you? TLDR:
liar-liar-jim-carrey.gif

This is what is called a straw man argument. No one said it was impossible. No one said they shouldn't take responsibility. I said it's a scam and I can prove it. Do you have a degree? I'm dying to know. I don't have a degree. And all the biggest idiots I know loooooove their degree.
You sound ridiculous. Nobody is forcing those young adults to take those loans. I do have a degree, and I find it highly doubtful that the biggest idiots you know, are the ones with degrees. If they are, then the degrees must be useless ones. That would also be the students fault. One can only be scammed for a loan if they take the loan, which no one is forcing them to do. Take a deep breath.

MLM is a scam and they all sign up willingly. All kinds of scams rely on suckering people in. Tell me genius, do you have a degree?

What degree they can get is their choice though.

And yes, I do have a degree. LMAO. I’m sorry that you don’t have one.

That's 99% of people going to college.
I hope not. There's no excuse for ignorance when you've grown up with a smartphone.

I think there is a lot of blame to go around. Education is a very good thing, but we've turned University into a fetish, and it's not for everyone. There are plenty of people who should be going to a trade school or getting a job skills certificate at the local community college. There's also too many idiotic social science degrees, gender and ethnic studies and any grievance/activist/shit-disturber degrees or even classes should be removed. And there are way too many administrators. 90% of them could be fired without harming real education.

I actually don’t blame students especially since I lived this but luckily went to a not super expensive state school.

I blame universities and loan agencies, as well as the government for allowing it to happen and society/parents for brain washing these kids into thinking this is the only path. I mean it’s flat out predatory to let these people go after 17 and 18 year old kids for massive amounts of debt that would never be approved for any other reason.

Kids at 18 really don’t know what is going on around them and are just taking their first steps into the world on their own. This shit is fucked up

Millions of adults are claiming they were duped and need forgiveness. It's one of the biggest stories in the US...and yet Millions of kids every year continue to sign up for the same ridiculous loans.

It's almost as if the knowledge of the student loan debt trap has no effect on young adults decisions. They still want to go away. They still want to live on campus. And they still want the prestige of the most expensive schools.

End of the day though it's our government. They tried to make things fair and made them horrible for everyone as usual. Biden has just added fuel to the fire with this moral hazard of forgiveness.

I blame unbridled capitalism which has turned humans into a commodity.

Loan companies.

You don’t need a credit check to take out 100k in loans but you need one to sign up for a cellphone plan.

The government, that's who's fault it is.

Back