Do you know how to use a sewing machine?

We're never going to find another upholsterer. I think we'll have an easier time finding a plumber or electrician. These trades are so hard to fill. Now we have to outsource the work to a shop which will cost us 10x more than having our own in-house.
I was just talking about this exact thing a few hours ago with a guy whose dad does upholstery and he is an electrician. He said he didn’t have any interest in it at the time but does now and his father is busy as hell all the time.

I run a contracting company with electricians, industrial mechanics and now a full time welder for us. I always seem to have a resume sent to me or someone trying to get on any time. I don’t believe the trades shortage or labour shortage are real, I believe that companies aren’t adjusting wages to inflation and bleeding out staff in a workers’ job market.

The speciality work nobody thinks of though on the other hand absolutely. Guys who fix appliances, locksmiths, upholstery.. stuff like that is very hard to find someone who does it and if they do, they’re older.

I just can't get used to the pedal. I keep going into turbo mode
I assumed there was some dial on the side of the pedal, but didn't see one.

I can easily think of women who likely don't know shit about sewing machine and wouldn't trust them to competently sew anything.

No because we don't have one, but I remember learning it in home economics in 8th grade and my mom would show me how she does some basic stitching. If I'm being honest I kind of want to get one myself.

I want to somehow make a multi-drink carrier to make it easier to carry at least three froyos, but my original idea might end up having the plastic lid sharp edges cut the ribbon I had in mind to use.

After the washing machine shredded the top of my car seat cushion, I made a cover for it. Simple design.

I bought a few bed sheet sets and might try to turn the flat sheet into an extra fitted sheet.

It's nice to be able to make stuff w/o glue.

I knew a guy who was an excellent upholster. He was constantly in demand for his work, but didn't seem to enjoy it much. He enjoyed spending most of his time drinking instead.

I knew a guy who was an excellent upholster. He was constantly in demand for his work, but didn't seem to enjoy it much. He enjoyed spending most of his time drinking instead.
If drinking is a sign of not enjoying your job almost no enjoys their job.
<Fedor23>

I started an apprenticeship at a naval shipyard and did industrial sewing for 10 years. My buddies hired into other trades at the same time like welding and machinists, and used to give me a hard time about sewing, but I can make a lot of nice shit these days. I have an industrial machine in my den and do work on the side and my dream is to open my own sail/upholstery shop. Been out of the trade for over 10 years now, and still miss it.

Last edited:
I have every tool you can think of. I even have a 2000 lb milling machine and lathe in my garage. I kinda want to learn how to upholster. The leather on my discontinued gaming chair is shot to shit. I was going to get it reupholstered, but I was thinking I'd just learn how to do it myself. I was looking into this sewing machine

I have every tool you can think of. I even have a 2000 lb milling machine and lathe in my garage. I kinda want to learn how to upholster. The leather on my discontinued gaming chair is shot to shit. I was going to get it reupholstered, but I was thinking I'd just learn how to do it myself. I was looking into this sewing machine

Try to google that one website that collects tons of old Singer sewing machine user manuals in PDF.

My office chair (HON Basyx) fake leather is cracking after several years, so I was thinking about fixing it with microfiber which seems pretty tough. Was thinking just a cover, not taking it all apart and redoing it.

No clue about your machine but I have a basic ass sewing machine and it's easy to use. Sewing a piece of velcro onto something is basic, you don't need any kind of experience for it. Look up some tutorials on how to place the thread so it's ready for use. The exception would be if it's hard leather, then you'd need a sewing awl. I assume the industrial machine should be able to handle it though.

My tailor died or something during the pandemic. I need to learn because I hate taking stuff to the new tailor. It's too far and he doesn't speak Engrish.

Our one and only upholsterer at work quit and I needed to stitch velcro onto a leather tool bag. I've been watching beginner tutorials all morning on Youtube. They make it look so easy, but even just the starting process of threading the machine is insanely complicated. There's so much into it. My thread keeps popping out, the lines aren't straight, and a million other little things.

We got a professional industrial machine, I was thinking of getting a beginner one from Amazon that isn't as complicated.
No, but I thought this video on the history of sewing machines was fascinating:

I have two machines, so yes. I know how to use a sewing machine, took lessons a few years ago which was great. MAssively into PRoject Runway and Next in Fashion...making clothes is fun. My first project was a jump suit which took ages but was perfect in the end.

I started an apprenticeship at a naval shipyard and did industrial sewing for 10 years. My buddies hired into other trades at the same time like welding and machinists, and used to give me a hard time about sewing, but I can make a lot of nice shit these days. I have an industrial machine in my den and do work on the side and my dream is to open my own sail/upholstery shop. Been out of the trade for over 10 years now, and still miss it.

Go for it King. If need business help, sometimes @THE Red Beard gives the good advice for that one. At worst you can go work for someone else, like perhaps the OP?

I want to watch a How It's Made segment on how they cut the fabric for the Dodgers team name on the official MLB jerseys. That's gotta be difficult manually.

giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back