Do you put on winter tires for your vehicle?

Do you put on winter tires for your vehicle?

• Total voters
I used to, when I lived in te mid-west. They were a pain to put on but I found winter tires necessary for my SUV.

your're missing out tbh.
For sure. Really want to go to Montreal and Quebec City. Also Toronto and Vancouver. Maybe Ottawa as well. It's weird how I've been to exotic locales like Fiji but haven't made my way across the border which is like a 3-4 hour drive...

I live in Texas, we can't even drive.
<LikeReally5>

People think Boston is like Siberia or something, but it's actually a borderline subtropical climate and getting increasingly warmer... Water doesn't freeze over anymore. Granted, I live in the urban core so there's a urban heat island effect. The outer suburbs tend to be colder and get more snow.

I used to live in Methuen\Lawrence and there was nothing subtropical about it in the winter. That was just over 20 years ago though so I don't know what it's like now.

I don't put winter tires on my car, I just make sure to fill them up thoroughly with winter air. Don't want that summer air getting stale and mucking things up.

It’s mandatory in Quebec, but I would still use them even if they weren’t mandatory. I’ve seen the difference first hand and they definitely outperform all season tires.

Reactions: Isa
Have to, fucking dumbass city of edmonton doesn't do shit to keep the roads clear. The blading job is consistently a joke.

I used to live in Methuen\Lawrence and there was nothing subtropical about it in the winter. That was just over 20 years ago though so I don't know what it's like now.
My dad grew up in Lawrence and I spent a lot of time in Methuen growing up. Yeah, it's considerably colder up there because it's further north and further away from the ocean. The term subtropical can also be a bit misleading or people just have a somewhat wrong concept of what it is exactly. It's a pretty wide category.

It ranges from fairly cold climates like New York to places in Florida which are just short of being truly tropical. The definition includes places where the mean temperature in every month is 32F/0C or higher but lower than 64F/18C. If it's 64F/18C or higher every month than it's a tropical climate. Places in South Florida like Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Key West, Palm Beach, etc. count as tropical.

The climate of Boston and the immediate suburbs is borderline between humid continental and humid subtropical. It sort of depends on the isotherm (32F/0C or 27F/-3C with Boston being in between those temperatures) that's used and it's also increasingly becoming more subtropical due to climate change. In the future, it will cross the line over to officially being subtropical. The climate of Boston right now is comparable to the climate of New York City in past decades. While the climate of NYC is more like Philadelphia in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence,_Massachusetts#Climate

I have a Jeep with off-road tires so I leave them on all year. No need to change them.
This. Except it's a Tacoma. Dc007, if you ever need a tow for that Jeep, look me up.

This. Except it's a Tacoma. Dc007, if you ever need a tow for that Jeep, look me up.

hahaha. My bro-in-law was driving his Rubicon up a mountain in Montana. Tons of Toyotas, Land Rovers, etc going up the trail. All dropped out and failed except 3 Rubicons. One red, one white, one blue. 'Merica.

I don’t. I live in a place with a real winter, but I drive a little hatchback and TBH its low ground clearance will fuck me if there’s really deep snow anyway, so there’s not much point in throwing snow tires on. I definitely pay attention to making sure that the all season tires I buy are noted to have good traction in the snow/ice though.

hahaha. My bro-in-law was driving his Rubicon up a mountain in Montana. Tons of Toyotas, Land Rovers, etc going up the trail. All dropped out and failed except 3 Rubicons. One red, one white, one blue. 'Merica.
I was being light hearted. I like Jeeps a lot. I love my Taco though. Both are awesome off road.

Nope, practically no need for that in NYC.

Never have but I'm going to this year. Looking at getting a set of Nokian hakkapelliita r3s for my truck, I've only heard good things about them. I've been putting it off because of how much a tyre/wheel package is for a truck but I'd rather spend a couple grand than get into without them and wish I had.

Barely snows here anymore and I'm no longer essential employee so I just stay home until roads are clear. Had a set of winter wheels for my focus with a race suspension back in the day and I have never had more fun driving than going into work at 6am with fresh snow covered roads.

Back