Do you think Hollywood will bounce back and produce good movies again?

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
At this point, I just don't see it happening. I have a prediction that another country will step up and start pumping out movies that are better than in Hollywood. Or maybe another country will start financing good movies. Or AI will turn things around in Hollywood.

There should be a snap back to reality this decade. At least I'm hopeful

There's still good movies here and there, especially when they're not pandering to activist wieners

There already is better movies pumping out of other countries. It just sucks that they are not in English.
I could name a shit ton of great movies/series i just couldn't get past the shit voice overs.

No. Aside from transitioning to making movies for the Chinese audience in mind, there are few opportunities for actors to make money on the back end of films, i.e. video/dvd sales. Therefore, there's no financial incentive to take any type of risk on a smaller, Indy, or artistic style film.

Part of the problem is that there is just too much stuff out there to watch. It seems it’s more profitable for them to release 25 mediocre films vs 7 outstanding films.

Plus with all the streaming now we have so many options and easy access to movies from other countries and stuff.

Hollywood has lost its creativity and turned into a cash grab of sequels and anything else they feel they can capitalize on with society now.

If we avoid or at least rebound from the pending societal collapse, sure, at least assuming we rebuild better. The current state of mainstream cinema is simply a reflection of the stage of capitalism we're currently engaged in. I don't really think the two can be disentangled without capitalism as it exists now collapsing. Until then, Hollywood will continue pumping out garbage, and the only things of value will come from the periphery. That said, I do think the cultural capital of the periphery will continue to grow in the meantime.

Part of the problem is that there is just too much stuff out there to watch. It seems it’s more profitable for them to release 25 mediocre films vs 7 outstanding films.

Plus with all the streaming now we have so many options and easy access to movies from other countries and stuff.

Hollywood has lost its creativity and turned into a cash grab of sequels and anything else they feel they can capitalize on with society now.
And a lot of the best stuff is series on streaming aps, there's plenty of good entertainment as a 10 episode series on various platforms.

For my tastes there was only actually a period of just over 20 years when Hollywood was "good", from the very late 60's to the very early 90's I think you had more of a culture were it was people on the creative side in charge, the execs didnt really know what the "formula" was as much so they were more willing to give those people money and let them do what they wanted.

Sherdog seems to love the 90's but for me that was the period that culture died, execs realised that CGI blockbusters and sappy prestige drama playing to nationalism was a licence to print money, a few people like Tarantino and Fincher launched high level careers as the door was closing but increasingly a lot of the best talent never moved to Hollywood.

I actually think blockbuster wise things improved a little more recently just because the MCU had a bit of a spark to it(run by an exec but one with some vision) and made so many films were as it used to be stuff like LOTR and the Matrix in a sea of drek, said drek I'm guessing a lot of Sherdog have a nostalgia for, espeically if there brains have been rotted by culture war Youtubers.

Last edited:
You think we'll ever get a Goddefelas II?

Your could argue The Irishman was essentially that but I think thats part of the problem, you do see a few big names from the past still getting decent budgets but the flow of new talent has greatly diminished or just goes from making indie films to exec led blockbusters which have little to do with their previous style.

Should be the next Marty than Hollywood is looking for and for the most part they arent.

Cinema in and of itself is contracting. I was an avid cinema going 13-30 year old (not so much now I have a family)

I don't know many kids or young adults who go now. It's all streaming services which Hollywood just cannot cater to as the budgets need to be far lower. Huge premiers, award nights etc are dead

I think social media has killed the mythos of the movie star as well. People have realised they're pretty shitty people and have switched off.

Last edited:
I think TV has taken a lot of the good stories and good scripts from movies. That's where most of the strong material going to these days because of the long format. They have more room to express themselves on TV with more nuances and details.

Game of Thrones is perfect example of something that probably most producers thought they can make as a movie, but it would have been a very watered down version. So a TV series is more better suited for the source material Game of Thrones has. And it obviously turned out well for them.

Back