Do you think music sucks because you don't like it?

I find that it's more of a cultural thing nowadays.

I'm older. I'd sit in vehicles with boys in their early twenties and they'd go on about their "bangin tunes", then put on some mumble shite spouting degenerate, faux gangsta nonsense, or some high pitched, eunuch twat.

Can't stand it.

It's music that moves people the most, and it doesn't matter how complex it is if it cannot do that.

I really think a lot of the jazz/bebop love was just a pose. Only the technical virtuosity is impressive about lots of music, classical included. It's impressive but if it doesn't move emotions it means next to nothing.

I agree completely about a lot of jazz. It’s just a showcase for the musicians to exhibit their technical ability. Most of it doesn’t move me at all. With classical, it’s more like a study of music than a showcase. I’m not huge into it, but there is a lot of classical I find very moving.

Oh, and there is nobody in this planet more arrogant, and undeservedly so, than wannabe jazz musicians. I took a music class in college which, unbeknownst to me, was basically a class so the jazz band could have fuck around time with the jazz teacher. They all were not very good, and all of them were arrogant. They had very little technical ability.

Heavily disagree here, I think really good jazz has more feeling than almost anything else.

Heavily disagree here, I think really good jazz has more feeling than almost anything else.

Jazz is such a huge topic, about the most expansive style on the planet, so, I guess i should reiterate that I think a lot of the be bop, avante garde and a lot of the later shit really didn't have much feel. That's just me, I don't get what Coltrane is going on about in most of his music, no theme, just a lot of fiddling around with scales. Sure, it's impressive in it's own way but my main criteria for good music is does it move people? Nothing else takes precedence over that.

And all styles, absolutely all the styles I've heard have had music that's moved me, even rap which I generally hate, has had some tunes that are guilty pleasures.

Jazz is such a huge topic, about the most expansive style on the planet, so, I guess i should reiterate that I think a lot of the be bop, avante garde and a lot of the later shit really didn't have much feel. That's just me, I don't get what Coltrane is going on about in most of his music, no theme, just a lot of fiddling around with scales. Sure, it's impressive in it's own way but my main criteria for good music is does it move people? Nothing else takes precedence over that.

And all styles, absolutely all the styles I've heard have had music that's moved me, even rap which I generally hate, has had some tunes that are guilty pleasures.

I find Alice Coltrane pretty moving. Also a lot of Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock stuff.

I agree completely about a lot of jazz. It’s just a showcase for the musicians to exhibit their technical ability. Most of it doesn’t move me at all. With classical, it’s more like a study of music than a showcase. I’m not huge into it, but there is a lot of classical I find very moving.

Oh, and there is nobody in this planet more arrogant, and undeservedly so, than wannabe jazz musicians. I took a music class in college which, unbeknownst to me, was basically a class so the jazz band could have fuck around time with the jazz teacher. They all were not very good, and all of them were arrogant. They had very little technical ability.

Musicians period of all styles have an arrogance problem. Oddly enough, it's usually the least talented that have the worst attitudes. I always thought Rock musicians were by far the most toxic and annoying, by far, but I know even jazz and classical people can be just as bad. I used to be around fighters, and I would always tell people that as far as bad attitudes go, musicians are way worse than fighters, which I always thought was ironic because, music isn't supposed to be confrontational and adversarial, it's supposed to involve harmony and cooperation. Musicians in general are the biggest prima donnas I've ever known personally.

Like anything, there are all kinds though, arrogance is only one issue. Seeing themselves as not getting what they think they deserved or seeing themselves as failed really fucks with a lot of their heads too. I know a guitarist who was in some top group, I forget the name of the style, but he was a rock star, and phenomenal player. Humble enough but he got kicked out of the band and it left him broken and negative. Truly amazing player who I think insults his talent with that attitude.

I find Alice Coltrane pretty moving. Also a lot of Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock stuff.
admittedly, I've not heard much, but a lot of what I have heard just sounds like musical gibberish to me. But to be fair, I haven't really listened to enough. And let's face it, I'd say most artists have a discography that 95 percent of hasn't really made much of an impression, it's the digging in to find the nuggets that I just don't have the time I used to for.

Today I was listening to Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life, one of the all time great albums in rock/soul history. Anyway, I was thinking about how I haven't really listened to it like this since I was a high school drop out. It looked to everyone that I was doing nothing for a whole year, and I was tempted to believe that, but looking back, I listened to so much music in that time and it all became a part of me.

admittedly, I've not heard much, but a lot of what I have heard just sounds like musical gibberish to me. But to be fair, I haven't really listened to enough. And let's face it, I'd say most artists have a discography that 95 percent of hasn't really made much of an impression, it's the digging in to find the nuggets that I just don't have the time I used to for.

Today I was listening to Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life, one of the all time great albums in rock/soul history. Anyway, I was thinking about how I haven't really listened to it like this since I was a high school drop out. It looked to everyone that I was doing nothing for a whole year, and I was tempted to believe that, but looking back, I listened to so much music in that time and it all became a part of me.

Do you think this has feeling out of interest?

Do you think this has feeling out of interest?

hard to say after one listen. It's ok though. I guess i should say when I say music that moves me, I don't mean necessarily that the artist is putting his soul into the music, although that certainly is a part of it.

hard to say after one listen. It's ok though. I guess i should say when I say music that moves me, I don't mean necessarily that the artist is putting his soul into the music, although that certainly is a part of it.

I guess it's individual at the end of the day. If someone says that Imagine Dragons moves them, who am I to argue?

I guess it's individual at the end of the day. If someone says that Imagine Dragons moves them, who am I to argue?
I didn't say it didn't move me, typically it takes me several listens. Sometimes, I love a song right off but usually not. There is a lot of great music out there from everywhere conceivable, two of the most moving tunes I've heard in years are by relatively small time acts.

Last edited:
I very very very rarely listen to country but I can recognize the talent in some older songs and there are a few tracks I do like, but overall as a genre I loathe it especially modern pop country.

I very very very rarely listen to country but I can recognize the talent in some older songs and there are a few tracks I do like, but overall as a genre I loathe it especially modern pop country.
country gets a lot of hate but when it's good it's just like any other style when it's good, it moves me.

The other thing is no other genre consistently tells stories better than any other genre. Sam Cooke was caught listening to country music one time and his buddies scoffed at it and asked him why and he said the stories, the way they tell stories.

Music does suck now and it not just because I don't like it. There's pop , pop rap, pop rock/alt, and pop country. That's what gets air play. Only the watered down bullshit gets play on the major stations. There's a reason other thsn a few current artists bands like Metallica, Pearl Jam, GnR, Strait still do better attendance thsn most current bands in live shows even tho they are over the hill.

I hated those songs too

Worst was thing was when we lost uncle pat in a macarena accident. I'd always told him that song sucked

There's much better versions.

Back