Do you view JBJ as an undefeated fighter, even though he had a "loss" to Matt Hamill.

Do you view JBJ as an undefeated fighter, even though he had a "loss" to Matt Hamill.

• Total voters
If you could actually win fights by having your face smashed in with elbows then I would be world champ

In any other fight, Jones would have just had a point deducted. Hamil couldn't continue because of his shoulder, but Mazagatti thought he could get a good answer by yelling at a deaf person with blood in his eyes, so...DQ.

I always wonder how did the comission let Hamill compete as a professional MMA fighter...

Being able to communicate with the ref in situations like this(or quick fence grab warnings etc...) seems to be crucial.

Yes. It should have been ruled a TKO, at worst a NC.

But I feel like getting that ''loss'', plus that tough fight against Gustafsson, both humbled him (not personality-wise). He experienced what it's like to have an L on his record plus a close fight without really losing.

Basically, Yes.

The only more bullshit of a "loss" on a fighter's record is Mizuki Inoue's "loss" to Emi Tomimatsu.

Jarl

I don't agree, Fedor's loss was more legit, it was my doctor stoppage for a cut if i recall correctly
a cut from an illegal elbow - so it actually shouldn't have been a loss at all. pretty hokey as well.

The elbows had nothing to do with Hammill not being able to fight anymore. When jones threw Matt he dislocated Matt's shoulder when he hit the ground. That's why Matt told Mazz he couldn't continue cause his shoulder was dislocated. Mazz thought he was saying it was because of the elbows.
Maybe so, he was done either way though shoulder injury or not

a cut from an illegal elbow - so it actually shouldn't have been a loss at all. pretty hokey as well.
I gotta rewatch this but wasn't it an unintentional elbow that hit while the guy was punching?

That loss was BS and a technicality, we all know it. Bones IMO is still undefeated

Yes. The Hamill fight shouldn't have even been a DQ, at worst it should have been a NC. The reason Hamill couldn't continue was because Jon dislocated his shoulder when he threw him, not due to the illegal 12-6 elbows. Mazzagatti would have known this but he was too busy standing over Hamill trying to ask him if he was ok, as if Hamill wasn't deaf and practically blinded because of the blood in his eyes.

But there was absolutely no point in that fight where Hamill was in control or could be viewed as winning.

Maybe so, he was done either way though shoulder injury or not

Not so sure about that he seemed to be walking around fine and fully aware of what was going on. He also made it very clear that it was the shoulder dislocating that cause him to stop fighting. Matt's an amazing tough dude I don't know how closely you followed his career but I followed it very closely and he was always able to take a beating win or lose.

I absolutely hate Jones and I still think that the DQ was bullshit, it should have been a NC.

Can't argue with stats but he was beating the brake shoes off him when they DQed him, 1 or 2 seconds from stopping it

Yes, he was not beaten by a man. He was beaten by a rule. Jones was punishing him up to that point. The fight, for all intents and purposes, had been decided.

I voted "no" because it's the official record that matters most. He had that one slip-up but it's no big deal to me. He's the P4P number 1 fighter and will go down in history as one of the greatest MMA fighters ever.

No. Bones is still undefeated, to me.

Nobody has ever gotten the best of JBJ

I gotta rewatch this but wasn't it an unintentional elbow that hit while the guy was punching?
IIRC it didn't matter, and they wanted to overturn it later on but found their hands were tied or something like that. any old timers remember the exact specifics?

I'm pretty sure Cormier said he was undefeated before they fought too

Back