Does the "Today's worst NBA team beats 90s Bulls" Theory work in MMA ?

I do not believe Tito Ortiz would be a top 5 LHW today, even in his prime.
Prime BJ Penn? Prime Ando or Hendo (Both debuted PRO in 97)? Prime Rampage (97)? Prime GSP? Prime Fedor?

I see your delusion and raise you a reality:

Since the era in question, NOBODY in the NBA has matched the skill of the players who changed the game back then.

Jordan would make your Lebrons look stupid. Rodman would make them cry. Pippen would freak them out.

Crazy a thread like this makes 10 pages.

I saw the whole Jordan era in real time, and grew up during Bird/Magic. As a lifelong NBA fan, some of you need a reality check. Jordan would still be all-NBA today, but he wouldn’t lead the league in scoring every year. That Golden State team with Durant could’ve beaten the prime Bulls. In today’s NBA, Jordan would have 3 titles instead of 6.

I saw the whole Jordan era in real time, and grew up during Bird/Magic. As a lifelong NBA fan, some of you need a reality check. Jordan would still be all-NBA today, but he wouldn’t lead the league in scoring every year. That Golden State team with Durant could’ve beaten the prime Bulls. In today’s NBA, Jordan would have 3 titles instead of 6.

I started following basketball closely when Spud Webb played at Midland College. I watched the entire Jordan era in realtime.

In any of the previous 30 years, prime Jordan would have led the league in scoring every year. In today's NBA, Jordan would have 12 titles instead of 6.

You're welcome.

I started following basketball closely when Spud Webb played at Midland College. I watched the entire Jordan era in realtime.

In any of the previous 30 years, prime Jordan would have led the league in scoring every year. In today's NBA, Jordan would have 12 titles instead of 6.

You're welcome.

You sound like a fool.

Prime BJ Penn? Prime Ando or Hendo (Both debuted PRO in 97)? Prime Rampage (97)? Prime GSP? Prime Fedor?

BJ would be really good still but Islam would beat him. Anderson and Henderson could still both be champs. Rampage would not be champion. GSP would easily be champion. Fedor in his prime could as well but I think Ngannou would sleep him if he was still in the UFC.

I tske the Prime Jordan Bulls over any team since .,........... the Prime Jordan Bulls

I also take Fedor over any HW
GSP over any WW
Anderson over any MW

Tai fn Tuivasa couldn't even beat a soul-stripped, chin cracked, JDS.

Cain would've shoved that shoe

2002-2006 OWGP Cro Cop is the world's best fighter
Right leg hospital, left leg cemetery
ATU LUCKO
Cro Cop Team

Theres plenty of elites from the past who would still be good today. Fedor, Randy, Vitor, Chuck, Rampage, Wand, Shogun, GSP, Hughes, Anderson etc etc would all be at least top 10 today (as long as you made sure they fought at the right weight class, which in some cases wouldnt be the one they fought at back then) and some would potentially be champ level.

There is an absolute night and day difference (compared to say 15-20 years ago) when it comes to depth though. The second, third, fourth etc tier guys are so much more well rounded and athletic on average, both within the UFC (which obviously has a much, much larger roster now) and also outside of it. It used to be once you got outside of UFC and Pride level (and neither had big rosters) things would drop off very very quickly to a level that couldnt even really be described as professional.

Theres plenty of elites from the past who would still be good today. Fedor, Randy, Vitor, Chuck, Rampage, Wand, Shogun, GSP, Hughes, Anderson etc etc would all be at least top 10 today (as long as you made sure they fought at the right weight class, which in some cases wouldnt be the one they fought at back then) and some would potentially be champ level.

There is an absolute night and day difference (compared to say 15-20 years ago) when it comes to depth though. The second, third, fourth etc tier guys are so much more well rounded and athletic on average, both within the UFC (which obviously has a much, much larger roster now) and also outside of it. It used to be once you got outside of UFC and Pride level (and neither had big rosters) things would drop off very very quickly to a level that couldnt even really be described as professional.
Average Fighter in Pride!!
original.gif

90% of Top HW guys in 2023 in UFC doesn't have grappling skills to do this.

Average Fighter in Pride!!
original.gif

90% of Top HW guys in 2023 in UFC doesn't have grappling skills to do this.

They would if it was a fixed fight.

Lol @ anyone not finding it weird that two Japanese guys (who went 0-3 and 1-3 in the UFC respectively) in a shady Japanese org managed to do that to Anderson when virtually nobody outside of Pride could even be competitive with him until he was old as shit. 2-10 at the time Otsuka had a competitive fight with him there and went the distance too lol. When it came to the Japanese fighters Pride was like half pro wrestling.

Last edited:
It doesn’t even work in basketball?
Those guys played actual defense ffs.

Everyone is talking about the refs but that decides who wins most games. The rulebook has changed so much since then, so you have to decide which rules you are playing with, 90s or modern. With modern rules Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman would all be in foul trouble if not fouled out. Not saying that is right but that is the case so it kind of throws a monkey wrench into the discussion. I do think 1-on-1 prime MJ beats everyone

Today best NBA player can't play half minutes Wilt did in a full season

Like in nba it is same in mma. Guys back in 90s had same skill as guys today but they used what they knew it worked then for every team mid jumpers half court and stuff like that same in mma in 90s legs and basic wrestling worked today more intense work is needed.....o yeah in both sport PEDs are much more advanced too

Most of Jordans career was played in the NBA equivalent of the "Deadball era" of MLB. Offense was at an all-time low in the 90's and he still wound up with the highest ppg average in NBA history. The NBA scoring leaders are putting up 32-33 ppg lately. He would absolutely win the scoring title every year in the current era.

The argument is with the advantage of science and tech and training, today's worst NBA team could beat the best NBA team from the 2000s or before. If true, does this hold up for MMA ?

Could #15 ranked Martin Buday beat any top three HW from, say, 2003-2008 simply because of the advances in training, nutrition, and knowledge since that time because the fight game has evolved that much ?
Trust the science bro

Most of Jordans career was played in the NBA equivalent of the "Deadball era" of MLB. Offense was at an all-time low in the 90's and he still wound up with the highest ppg average in NBA history. The NBA scoring leaders are putting up 32-33 ppg lately. He would absolutely win the scoring title every year in the current era.

the ppg has do with where they are shooting and the speed of play, more than anything. Even the best defenses can’t shut the NBA’s best shooters where they are spotting up now. Jordan also shot ALOT. Even his best years, he would be at the top of the league in minutes played and most shots taken. That’s not negative, I’m not knocking Jordan. But I’m realistic.

IMG_0818.jpeg

Compare with LeFlop..

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg IMG_0819.jpeg

Last edited:
Back