Media Dricus: I think Jiri should go down to MW. I saw his weight in the PI and he walks around lighter than I do

Jiri probably walks around lean and stays in shape. He's never shown to be controllable in grappling situations, he handles himself just fine. There's 0 need to drop a weight class when you're doing just fine in the one you're in. Not everybody has to drain 20+ pounds, it's refreshing to see people fighting near their real weight rather than killing themselves for an advantage that might not even exist.

Real samurai fight at their full strength, never disrespecting their bodies by cowardly weight-cutting.

We didn’t get to see Jones put a smackdown on Adesanya sadly but maybe we’ll get to see Samurai Jiri teach Khamzat some respect.

Maybe my eyes are bad or that antenna on his head deceives me, but he looks like a huge LHW.

Not sure he could ever make 185. Seems crazy.
Then again, no clue how DDP used to make 170. He did have his KO loss at 170 so maybe it drained him way too much. Seems impossible looking at him now

Best day ever in MMA when they figure out to cut this weight cutting bullshit and we stop having weight bullies and start having fresh fighters.

Imagine walking around at 270 lbs as your walk around weight and cutting down to MW when it's fight time.

Maybe my eyes are bad or that antenna on his head deceives me, but he looks like a huge LHW.

Not sure he could ever make 185. Seems crazy.
Then again, no clue how DDP used to make 170. He did have his KO loss at 170 so maybe it drained him way too much. Seems impossible looking at him now

This

Especially since DDP is around 2 metres. (6'6")

It's messed up. Doesn't feel that long ago that 220lbs was considered a typical HW in boxing. Now people think that you should be a fucking MW if that's your walking around weight. Yeah, maybe if you're fat, but if you're lean at that weight 205lbs is the lowest weight you should be.
100% agree. Guys should be 5-10 tops to fit into a weight class, not to drop 2 weight classes below. Time for same day weigh ins.

I'm just waiting for someone to die with all this extreme weight cutting. Not that I want that to happen, but when it does happen they should introduce rules to put caps on in-cage weight. You shouldn't be allowed to walk into the Octagon more than 15 pounds above your weight class limit. Weight cutting is intended so that fighters who are 5-10 pounds over their target weight can still compete without cancelling fights. It wasn't intended for fighters to be cutting 25-30 pounds to gain the maximum possible advantage.

People used to say GSP was a weight bully at 170 when he'd cut ~20 pounds. Little did we know what was coming.
To be fair that’s also just what people say to discredit guys they don’t like who are successful. Jones, GSP, hell I remember some people saying that about Silva just because he went up and had success at LHW that he was a natural 205er despite having competed lighter than mw lol. Aldo was also “too big for 145” despite successfully dropping to 135 later in his career. About the only great who I haven’t seen face that criticism is Fedor and he was objectively small for hw.

Hes huge, lol. He is lean even at LHW. He should go up if anything.

There needs to be some regulations imo, its too easy for a giant to cut weight and then come in 50lb+ heavier than the weightclass to fight a guy "acceptable ly good zied for the weight class". Look at 10 years ago, the little guys like GSP, Penn and others would probably lose to guys today simply by being outmuscled in size not because they were not skilled enough.Some of Todays WW's would have been HW's back in the day.

Listen, bro, if you can't be a weight cut bully, you can just learn the choreographed car accident scam and medical insurance scam.

If Max Holloway can put on some good quality weight to be a legit LW i have no idea why Jiri can't put on some to stay at his current weightclass. Jiri's like 6'4" and not scrawny at all, putting on weight for him would be easy compared to lighter guys like Holloway.

If Max Holloway can put on some good quality weight to be a legit LW i have no idea why Jiri can't put on some to stay at his current weightclass. Jiri's like 6'4" and not scrawny at all, putting on weight for him would be easy compared to lighter guys like Holloway.

Holloway has been one of the biggest cutters in UFC for years.

There needs to be some regulations imo, its too easy for a giant to cut weight and then come in 50lb+ heavier than the weightclass to fight a guy "acceptable ly good zied for the weight class". Look at 10 years ago, the little guys like GSP, Penn and others would probably lose to guys today simply by being outmuscled in size not because they were not skilled enough.Some of Todays WW's would have been HW's back in the day.

It’s sad.

Legit one of the main skills you need is being good at weight cutting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back