Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Can someone explain something to me.

do the space ships in DUNE have computers on them? If not how do they fly around and how does the SPICE help them bend space time. Is it done with their mental powers?

Second half of Lynch's dune is abysmal. As is character development in that movie.
I'll have to watch it again. I didn't think the character development in this new Dune was very good either. Outside of Duncan Idaho (better fleshing out of the character in this one than in 1984) and Lady Jessica (better character development by Denis, but better exposition by Lynch). Also, I think Dr Yueh was better developed by Lynch, can't remember how well they did with Thufir, but they did a much better job w/ De Vries in 1984.

do the space ships in DUNE have computers on them? If not how do they fly around and how does the SPICE help them bend space time. Is it done with their mental powers?
I think I know the answer, but best for an actual Dune reader to answer.

@Loiosh

I'll have to watch it again. I didn't think the character development in this new Dune was very good either. Outside of Duncan Idaho (better fleshing out of the character in this one than in 1984) and Lady Jessica (better character development by Denis, but better exposition by Lynch). Also, I think Dr Yueh was better developed by Lynch, can't remember how well they did with Thufir, but they did a much better job w/ De Vries in 1984.
The whole relationship between Paul and the Fremen girl was done very poorly if I remember 1984's Dune right.

It's part of the novel' backstory. Thousands of years into the past the humans fought a war against Artificial Intelligences they'd created called the Butlerian Jihad. All advanced computer technology was banned, and they had to come up with these guys called "mentats" which are basically human computers to pick up the slack.

As for the relationship between the spice and space travel, the Guild Navigators use the spice to gain a degree of prescience. The Guild's ships use technology to fold space and travel across space, but the only way to plot a safe course and not end up inside of a star or a black hole is for the navigators to use spice to plot the right course.

I wanted to get into Babylon 5, but I just never took the time to really watch it . . .
Never a better time than now

There's an official remastered version online now, but be sure of the way the CGI was handled, it's only in 4:3. There's a fan upscale that's better than that though, but the torrent is 100gigs, well worth it though

PM if you want the link

Eitjer method, be sure to sure to watch it. Qst season is a bit rougher (far better on a 2nd watch) but by s2 through the end of 4, it's some of the best torytelling on the small screen.

It's part of the novel' backstory. Thousands of years into the past the humans fought a war against Artificial Intelligences they'd created called the Butlerian Jihad. All advanced computer technology was banned, and they had to come up with these guys called "mentats" which are basically human computers to pick up the slack.

As for the relationship between the spice and space travel, the Guild Navigators use the spice to gain a degree of prescience. The Guild's ships use technology to fold space and travel across space, but the only way to plot a safe course and not end up inside of a star or a black hole is for the navigators to use spice to plot the right course.

I read all that too but even modern cars have computers in them. Their spaceships can’t be completely computer free. How does it fly without a computer.

even the ship with the bug wings must use some type of computer in there to fly around.

The whole relationship between Paul and the Fremen girl was done very poorly if I remember 1984's Dune right.
I don't remember there being a glaring deficit there, but if I had read the books and she was supposed to be a giant character then I would not like it.

I read all that too but even modern cars have computers in them. Their spaceships can’t be completely computer free. How does it fly without a computer.

even the ship with the bug wings must use some type of computer in there to fly around.
old helicopters and airplanes didn't have computers.
neither did old recording devices and tvs.
I look at it as them having highly advanced mechanical processes so that they can even achieve orbital space without computers (but with the help of mentats).

old helicopters and airplanes didn't have computers.
neither did old recording devices and tvs.
I look at it as them having highly advanced mechanical processes so that they can even achieve orbital space without computers (but with the help of mentats).

When I looked it up it does say there are computers but not advanced ones that use AI or modeled to work like a human brain. What I read was even the Bene Gesserit use computers.

How could a ship that travels in space not have some type of computer system on it? Even the shields they wear around them while fighting must use some computers to make them work

When I looked it up it does say there are computers but not advanced ones that use AI or modeled to work like a human brain. What I read was even the Bene Gesserit use computers.

How could a ship that travels in space not have some type of computer system on it? Even the shields they wear around them while fighting must use some computers to make them work
The only reason you need computers to fly in space is navigation. Everything else can be done without computers. The spacing guild take care of navigation. But if it says they use computers, just not advanced ones then I'm good with that. Also, when it comes to flying in space I have no idea what I'm talking about, so that is something to consider.

The only reason you need computers to fly in space is navigation. Everything else can be done without computers. The spacing guild take care of navigation. But if it says they use computers, just not advanced ones then I'm good with that. Also, when it comes to flying in space I have no idea what I'm talking about, so that is something to consider.

from what I’ve read online thinking machines that use AI are banned but there are computers. One person even spoke about some of the humans using secret hidden computers.

Even digital door controls in this universe would use some type of computing machines.

Update: October 24, 2021

DUNE Worms Its Way to a $40.1 Million Opening Weekend at the U.S. Box Office Despite HBO Max Play

dune-post-cover.jpg

Filmmaker Denis Villeneuve's Dune wormed its way to a strong $40.1 million opening at the domestic box office despite facing competition from a dual release in the home.

The Legendary and Warner Bros. sci-fi epic opened simultaneously in 4,125 theaters across North America and on streamer HBO Max, a hybrid practice being used for all 2021 Warner movies because of the pandemic. Dune scored the best domestic opening of any such theatrical/HBO Max release to date, besting Godzilla vs. Kong ($31.7 million).

It also delivered Villeneuve the top domestic opening of his career. His previous biggest was Blade Runner 2049 ($32.8 million), not adjusted for inflation.

Dune‘s debut is also a needed win for Warners, as well as another boost for its young star, Timothée Chalamet.

Globally, Dune sailed past the $200 million mark after opening previously in earlier markets. Overseas, the movie earned another $47.4 million from 75 markets for a foreign tally of $180.6 million and $220.2 million globally. However, it has a long way to go before recouping its $165 million budget and additional marketing spend.

In addition to North America, another new player this weekend was China, where the movie, distributed there by Legendary and partner Wanda, opened to a so-so $21.6 million (a new surge in COVID cases is prompting lockdowns in 8 or 9 provinces, including parts of Beijing).

Dune was a high-profile player in the fall film festival circuit, with Villeneuve and the marketing campaign urging consumers to see the big-budget tentpole on the big screen. It worked: the movie did huge business in particular on Imax screens, which turned in a hefty 22.5 percent of the gross, or $9 million. All told, Imax and other large format screens accounted for 50 percent of the opening weekend tally,

Dune sits at 83 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Audiences gave it an A- CinemaScore.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dune-box-office-opening-hbo-max-1235036020/

from what I’ve read online thinking machines that use AI are banned but there are computers. One person even spoke about some of the humans using secret hidden computers.

Even digital door controls in this universe would use some type of computing machines.
Most major technologies are made by the Ixians and they routinely dance on the line of what's outlawed (in later books it's even confirmed they have done research that is explicitly banned), so there absolutely are computers. Herbert just never really goes into detail about the specifics of what they are, what they do, or how they work.

Most major technologies are made by the Ixians and they routinely dance on the line of what's outlawed (in later books it's even confirmed they have done research that is explicitly banned), so there absolutely are computers. Herbert just never really goes into detail about the specifics of what they are, what they do, or how they work.

Thanks. The more I read the more I notice there has to be some type of computing devices to have these very advanced civilizations.

Even the shields they wear while they fight use
Computers.

Computers...yes. Thinking computers/AI...no.

Pretty similiar to the Warhammer 40k Universe in that respect. Many people broach the line of what is acceptable.

I wouldn't worry about it. The original was a mess, made by a director who wanted nothing to do with it. That's why it's pretty much only remembered for it's sometimes interesting Lynch-ian visuals, and little else. At the very least, you should expect a far more coherent movie, with better performances in this one.
I really liked the lynch film. I enjoyed all the characters and designs as well as that freaky david lynch tone that suits the material. yes it was put together badly and the effects were dodgey but i have watched it many times and enjoyed it and will watch again. not many other films i can do the same.

i am half way through the new film and m also enjoying it and it seems to be borrowing a lot from the Lynch one. its visually stunning and cast well but i would prefer lynch to direct.

Back