Dustin Poirier is a top 4 LW ever. Yay or Nay?

No way on this earth.

Khabib is ahead. So is Islam.

So is BJ. You cannot have Poirier over Charles either.

So without getting indepth about who would be top 4, which may not be easiest thing to do, we know at the very worst there's more than 4 in front of Poirier.

Im not selling Poirier short either, because Im the same guy who made this thread and not many agreed back then.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-dustin-poirier-the-best-striker-in-the-lw-history.4190204/

He probably is, but no way he is top 4 LW ever. No way.

And as much credit as I gave Poirier for being a striker he is, Conor is a more talented, better striker prime for prime.

But Poirier put the time and work in. Conor stopped long ago.
Well said.

He might be up there on the mma LW mount rushmore.

He's only lost to Khabib & Oliveria.

And that loss to Oliveria has an asterisk by it because of the glove grab, in my book.

He absolutely is one of the best LWs ever.

Right. If we’re looking for who’s the next best fighter after Khabib that could basically be the best fighter of another era or the second best fighter of Khabib’s era.
Was he ever even the 2nd best fighter in the division though? Ferg was considered the 2nd best guy for a while. He might have been considered the #2 guy very briefly between Khabib and Charles but he lost to both of them, then Charles lost to Islam so I guess he gets some #2 time but by no means was it clear cut.

That’s kind of where the rubber meets the road for me when it comes to Dustin’s all-time place; he had multiple opportunities to demonstrate that he was the best in the world, and each time he came up short. Makes it hard to put him above guys who ruled the division and had multiple defenses.

No/ Off the top of my head Penn, Khabib, Bendo, Gomi, Pettis, RDA, Islam, Oliveira, Frankie are better

Of course it’s conjecture, that’s all you have when you compare eras. You speculate. I didn’t say Edgar wasn’t good. I said his career at LW took place under different circumstances to DP’s so you can’t just say “Edgar had a belt so he’s better.” Jens Pulver had the belt. That’s all I’m saying.

Well here's what I comfortably say: Fighters who reached the pinnacle of their division (the championship) accomplished more than fighters who did not, era notwithstanding. Dustin is a more developed fighter for sure than say Jens, but, Dustin benefits from standing on the shoulders of older fighers accomplishments and the evolution of MMA.

I don't know why I get so passionate about this. Maybe because I started training in BJJ/MT in 2009 and I'm old and I want everyone to get off my lawn.

He got some nice scalps on his resume.

Max (2x)

Conor (2x won the trilogy)

Gaethje....

<TheWire1>.

He might be up there on the mma LW mount rushmore.
Nah, I think people put way too much into beating Conor. The guy has exactly ONE win at 155, and exactly ONE win since Obama was president.

I will always be grateful to Dustin for making him even less relevant, but in hindsight, those wins are not all that epic.

Oh you wanna go there? BJ didn't get choked out by Korean Zombie nor get sent to a shadow realm by Michael Johnson.

Compare their best wins at LW for me?

Dustin beat Eddie, Max, Justin, Chandler and Conor twice..

BJ beat who? Diego?

Compare their best wins at LW for me?

Dustin beat Eddie, Max, Justin, Chandler and Conor twice..

BJ beat who? Diego?

200w.gif

LW is far too deep for Poirier to crack top 4

It would hard enough for just UFC LW

Back