Media Dustin Poirier Says He Was Extremely Depressed, Suicidal After Justin Gaethje Loss

Gaethje from what I remember outstruck Poirier for like 4 minutes of the 1st round. Poirier just did a lot in the 1 minute he won.

I thought Gaethje looked better in the fight for the most part.

Gaethje looked better the first 4 minutes, I agree. As a Poirier fan I was a bit worried. Poirier would've needed to adjust his gameplan to more countering.
Or drawing out punches.

Dustin didn't respect Gaethje enough, because he outstruck him heavily apart from leg kicks and knocked him out in their 1st fight
(141 to 55 head strikes)
He was rushing at him, trying to force a knockout, instead of countering.

Well he still caught Justin with a knuckle in the eye, cut him and wobbled him.

Gaethje circled really good and countered from angles.
Gaethje's boxing looked better than ever, probably because he prepared for 2 strikers in a row in Dustin and Fiziev.
Before that he faced 4 grapplers in a row.

If the fight goes longer I would favor Dustin, he has the better gas tank, takes punches better and cuts not as easy as Gaethje (still fairly easy as well)

Dustin easily won the footwork battle of the outer foot though, he should capitalize on that more, getting an angle on Justin.
Also get different shorts! Dustin misses out on so many low kick oppurtunities by adjusting his hair and shorts.

Last edited:
I don't like the dorky music, but that's a powerful conversation, I thought Ariel handled it well.

I want to imagine every fighter would go home with a level of support, but clearly they don't, I know they don't, they just go home and are expected to deal with it and train and get back in there.

And we also can see why Conor don't into a fucking junkie on the back of those losses, and it's not really a joke when you think about it.

I'm glad we live in 2024 when a fighter can talk to someone, a therapist, a sports psychologist, whatever they dress them up as, rather than just assault or hurt their family.

Retards baulk at how soft it is that people take time off and actually deal with shit nowadays, but that's ignorant and stupid.
respect. it's easy to lose sight of as a fan.

Not a fan of this being so openly discussed and Ariel asking him directly if he was suicidal. The man said he was depressed. Just leave it at that
Nope. that sort of non spoken shit is what makes people feel alone when going through those struggles. Having athletes and other famous/hardworking admirable people being candid about mental health struggles is absolutely necessary to the betterment of mental wellness. It was a heartfelt moment and may help another struggling fighter/fight fan some day.

Nope. that sort of non spoken shit is what makes people feel alone when going through those struggles. Having athletes and other famous/hardworking admirable people being candid about mental health struggles is absolutely necessary to the betterment of mental wellness. It was a heartfelt moment and may help another struggling fighter/fight fan some day.
Sure, but this is Ariel. He's not deep diving into Dustin's mental health issues because he cares so much. He wants the clicks, the headlines and the articles mentioning him as the source. And again, you can leave it at that when he mentioned that he was fighting demons and bad thoughts. No need to ask in front of millions if he wanted to kill himself.

I’m not a pro fighter but idk CTE might to starting to get to some of these guys, hopefully I’m wrong.

Came to say this.

Dustin has taken A LOT of head trauma, and there is a lot of data correlating it with depression.

I was hoping he would retire after the big BSD win, seemed like the perfect moment.

He has 30 fights in the UFC alone.

Getting KOed can CAUSE depression and suicidal thoughts. It's not just "he felt bad after losing" he literally had his brain damaged, and damaged brains think negative, depressive thoughts. Losing the fight just makes it worse by adding the negative emotional element.
I've been knocked out several times, I've even been hospitalized 3 times due to severe concussions. Depression is a symptom that usually follows. Now compound that with millions watching and you get a possible recipe for disaster.

It's nice to see fighters open up and admit that they are human like everybody else. I've had bad depression/anxiety for years and when i lost my mom last year it really hurt me and i've had to really work through it. Bottling shit up just makes everything worse. Dustin made some really good points, and i liked Ariel's response as well. I don't know how anyone could root against a guy like Dustin.

Sure, but this is Ariel. He's not deep diving into Dustin's mental health issues because he cares so much. He wants the clicks, the headlines and the articles mentioning him as the source. And again, you can leave it at that when he mentioned that he was fighting demons and bad thoughts. No need to ask in front of millions if he wanted to kill himself.
Ariel has stated many times that he gets paid a yearly set amount. This notion that he gets paid by clicks is bullshit. He seemed genuinely concerned about Dustin if you cared to listen.

Last edited:
Depressed? I'm depressed every single day of my life. It's a full time job just keeping the tears inside my head!!

This guy talks all the time about his wife and daughter, but thinks about taking his life after a loss? This is some clown ass weak shit.

That's very weird since he's rich and had losses in the past. He's prob has some snakes in his friend or family group that kept him down.

The life of a fighter. Heavy shit. I don't think Poirier actually used the S word. Perhaps he was alluding to that. We should be careful with quotes though.

depression can affect anyone. doesn't matter what race, demographic, or tax bracket you're in.

whitney houston and robin williams pretty much had it made too with infinite money and a huge fanbase.

This guy talks all the time about his wife and daughter, but thinks about taking his life after a loss? This is some clown ass weak shit.

Did he say that? Post earlier in the thread says the title is inaccurate.

Money isn't a cure-all for one's issues. It's why I laugh whenever people say Franci$' KO loss doesn't hurt him because he made a lot of money. Like these competitive, dedicated guys whose entire lives and families depend on fighting just wake up, cash their checks, and go home skipping.

Back