News Elon Musk finally got it up. Starship that is.

Getting it up is not Elon's problem. Pulling out is

75295411-0-image-a-18_1694439855140.jpg
Holy crap, is that all his kids? I am not sure what is worse, those kids names, or how ugly their mothers are. You would think the richest man in the world would have better taste in women, and picking names.

I think most of the debris in this case came back to Earth either in the Gulf of Mexico or the Indian Ocean which might be of concern for people living or working in those areas.
There was a NOTAM notice posted and also a marine notice posted for all marine vehicles and all aviation traffic to stay out of the specified ranges. This is standard procedure and is mandatory as per FAA etc.
So.... There were no ships (commercial or private) anywhere near nor any aircraft. A few fish may have died when the Booster hit the Gulf of Mexico rather fast but that's it. It was right on target to it's programmed landing zone.... But failed to slow down (ha ha) and hit the water at approx 690mph. So that would have made a spectacular impact for sure....

The Starship was deliberately flying a suborbital trajectory at slightly less than orbital velocity so it WAS coming back down in a known trajectory even if every engine had failed to relight. Deliberate and sensible choice.

It'll have broken up under extreme thermal heating and remnants will have splashed down over Southern Indian Ocean more or less where the lost Malaysian plane impacted 10years ago. (yes.... THAT famous plane).

I think SpaceX biggest problem currently is the damn engines not being reliable. Re-starts are, apparently, rather flaky. They need to fix that problem for Starship program to have any degree of reliability.

The booster (1st stage) failing to land will be a much bigger concern for the engineers than Starship (2nd stage) failing to land. Starship 2nd-stage fix is v likely a much simpler problem. Just my view.

A) How do they know that?
Tracking it I assume?

B) Have they learned to control that?
Maybe adjust release points to prevent orbit height/trajectory but ideally still high enough to burn up on reentry...

C) What about attempting to REUSE equipment?
Is that possible and or realistic?
The ship wasn't going fast enough to reach a permanent orbit. It was on a trajectory that would bring it back to Earth and it was re-entering the atmosphere when transmission was lost.

Getting it up is not Elon's problem. Pulling out is

75295411-0-image-a-18_1694439855140.jpg
2 sets of twins AND triplets. Damn! That gene is strong in him.

I'd be scared to have kids with those genes. Think you're gonna get one baby and end up with 4.

I'd be scared to have kids with those genes. Think you're gonna get one baby and end up with 4.
I suspect they used fertility drugs when a couple has a set of twins then a set of triplets it is usually fertility drugs like jon and kate plus 8.

Last edited:
Holy crap, is that all his kids? I am not sure what is worse, those kids names, or how ugly their mothers are. You would think the richest man in the world would have better taste in women, and picking names.
The only hot woman he had sex with was amber heard.

The only hot woman he had sex with was amber heard.
Nope you're wrong.

He was married to this woman :
TR-hot.jpg

Not only pretty, also probably about 1000times less aggravation than the lying P.O.S. nutjob Amber Heard. (you did see clips from the Johnny Depp vs Heard trial, yes??)

Sometimes it's good to remember the old phrase :

"No matter how hot she is, someone somewhere is tired of her shit."​

There was a NOTAM notice posted and also a marine notice posted for all marine vehicles and all aviation traffic to stay out of the specified ranges. This is standard procedure and is mandatory as per FAA etc.
So.... There were no ships (commercial or private) anywhere near nor any aircraft. A few fish may have died when the Booster hit the Gulf of Mexico rather fast but that's it. It was right on target to it's programmed landing zone.... But failed to slow down (ha ha) and hit the water at approx 690mph. So that would have made a spectacular impact for sure....

The Starship was deliberately flying a suborbital trajectory at slightly less than orbital velocity so it WAS coming back down in a known trajectory even if every engine had failed to relight. Deliberate and sensible choice.

It'll have broken up under extreme thermal heating and remnants will have splashed down over Southern Indian Ocean more or less where the lost Malaysian plane impacted 10years ago. (yes.... THAT famous plane).

I think SpaceX biggest problem currently is the damn engines not being reliable. Re-starts are, apparently, rather flaky. They need to fix that problem for Starship program to have any degree of reliability.

The booster (1st stage) failing to land will be a much bigger concern for the engineers than Starship (2nd stage) failing to land. Starship 2nd-stage fix is v likely a much simpler problem. Just my view.

I don't know which problem will be more difficult to solve. If the booster engines failed to light because of the speed it was falling, they could light some engines earlier to limit the speed it reaches which could be a simple software timing change.

If they lost attitude and roll control of the Starship, that might be a hardware problem which could take more time to engineer a solution.

Identical twins are a result of a single egg splitting but most twins are the result of two eggs being fertilized. Multiple births are usually the result of multiple eggs being fertilized so the genetic disposition is on the mothers genes. One man fathering so many multiple births could be the result of assisted reproduction.

I don't know which problem will be more difficult to solve. If the booster engines failed to light because of the speed it was falling, they could light some engines earlier to limit the speed it reaches which could be a simple software timing change.

If they lost attitude and roll control of the Starship, that might be a hardware problem which could take more time to engineer a solution.
why on Earth would the velocity that the Booster was falling have any bearing on the engine's re-lighting or not?
When it's in freefall, there's little accel /decel. Some moderate decel once it hits terminal velocity as it encounters thicker atmosphere. But these engines MUST re-light whatever the accel / decel parameters. As long as the fuel pumps can maintain CH4 and O2 pressures to all the necessary engines ....then they SHOULD relight. And it MIGHT simply be lack of good CH4/O2 pressures, we don't know what the exact tech issue is.

I am certain the Raptor engines reliability is of much bigger concern to the SpaceX engineers than attitude control and roll issues on Starship. SpaceX have done RCS thrusters for years and years, it probably needs some changes, sure, but that's fairly easy from engineering standpoint. All their Falcon9 and Falcon Heavy vehicles use RCS thrusters, as does Dragon Cargo and Dragon Crew.

Engines are an issue. SpaceX will absoluitely know it, but they won't talk much about it.

The mere fact that they chose a "RETURN TO EARTH TODAY IN a KNOWN REMOTE AREA OF THE INDIAN OCEAN GUARANTEED" suborbital trajectory (i.e. it's coming back today, whatever happens during flight) indicates they already know Engine relight is not reliable. Also they ditched the "Let's land within 60miles of Hawaii, yayyy!!" plan. No surprise, it's just a bad look if a SpaceX vehicle came careening in and parts crash-impacted near Hawaii.

EDIT for CLARITY: If a space vehicle is in ORBIT (not SUB-ORBIT that Starship flight was on) and the engines dismally fail to light during a de-orbit burn....then that's a PR disaster and potentially a crash-landing in a populated area as they have lost control of WHERE and exactly WHEN the vehicle will hit the Earth. Huge issue for SpaceX, very embarrassing and the FAA would have taken an *extremely* dim view of that.
A suborbital trajectory gives a KNOWN time and place for the vehicle to re-enter (whether the de-orbit burn happens or not) and so.....remnants hit the Southern Indian Ocean = safe for everyone (except a few fish) and no PR disaster.

Last edited:
why on Earth would the velocity that the Booster was falling have any bearing on the engine's re-lighting or not?
When it's in freefall, there's little accel /decel. Some moderate decel once it hits terminal velocity as it encounters thicker atmosphere. But these engines MUST re-light whatever the accel / decel parameters. As long as the fuel pumps can maintain CH4 and O2 pressures to all the necessary engines ....then they SHOULD relight. And it MIGHT simply be lack of good CH4/O2 pressures, we don't know what the exact tech issue is.

I am certain the Raptor engines reliability is of much bigger concern to the SpaceX engineers than attitude control and roll issues on Starship. SpaceX have done RCS thrusters for years and years, it probably needs some changes, sure, but that's fairly easy from engineering standpoint. All their Falcon9 and Falcon Heavy vehicles use RCS thrusters, as does Dragon Cargo and Dragon Crew.

Engines are an issue. SpaceX will absoluitely know it, but they won't talk much about it.

The mere fact that they chose a "RETURN TO EARTH TODAY IN a KNOWN REMOTE AREA OF THE INDIAN OCEAN GUARANTEED" suborbital trajectory (i.e. it's coming back today, whatever happens during flight) indicates they already know Engine relight is not reliable. Also they ditched the "Let's land within 60miles of Hawaii, yayyy!!" plan. No surprise, it's just a bad look if a SpaceX vehicle came careening in and parts crash-impacted near Hawaii.

EDIT for CLARITY: If a space vehicle is in ORBIT (not SUB-ORBIT that Starship flight was on) and the engines dismally fail to light during a de-orbit burn....then that's a PR disaster and potentially a crash-landing in a populated area as they have lost control of WHERE and exactly WHEN the vehicle will hit the Earth. Huge issue for SpaceX, very embarrassing and the FAA would have taken an *extremely* dim view of that.
A suborbital trajectory gives a KNOWN time and place for the vehicle to re-enter (whether the de-orbit burn happens or not) and so.....remnants hit the Southern Indian Ocean = safe for everyone (except a few fish) and no PR disaster.

The booster is traveling over 1,000 kilometers per hour base down. The air pressure against the engines would be very high. Once the engine lights it builds chamber pressure but lighting under pressure could be a problem.

The booster is traveling over 1,000 kilometers per hour base down. The air pressure against the engines would be very high. Once the engine lights it builds chamber pressure but lighting under pressure could be a problem.
ok you could be onto something there. Yes it was going 1,100kmh base-down at loss of telemetry.

But....as a counterpoint....

Falcon9 1st-stage rockets re-enter literally every week base-down (engines first) and they come in supersonic too, and cross the sound barrier during their landing-burn and as far as I know those Merlin engines have never failed *ever* to relight despite the massive "upwards" airflow and they've done that literally hundreds of times. So that would indicate that, in general, relighting engines at supersonic speeds when you have a very fast "upwards" (relative) airflow of 700mph+ isn't a problem at all for SpaceX's other rockets.

Raptors have an extremely unusual and complex start-up procedure. Doesn't even have ignition torches in the combustion chamber at all! It's a highly complex engine and as far as I know, no other rocket engine in existence has a start-up procedure as complex as Raptor. So I will venture to suggest that there is a fundamental problem with Raptor's relighting and I do think sooner or later Elon Musk will comment on this and come up with a new modified version.

I can post a video tomorrow of Elon talking a bit about the Raptor's engine-lighting procedure. He is quite deliberately vague as it's SpaceX guarded info exactly what happens but it's very obvious it's unusual and complex and things need to work exactly right for engine ignition to happen reliably.

Back