Even with an emphatic W, this Stipe fight is already a blemish on Jon's legacy.

And this is coming from a guy who has been a fan of Jon's

You know, I didn't have a huge problem with it when it was originally scheduled for last November. It still would have been mostly ritualistic in nature, but fine. Go for it. There wasn't even a surefire #1 contender. However, now that the fight has has been pushed back 9 months and we have an interim champ on fire, this is starting to become a terrible look for everyone involved except Stipe (Who can blame him for eagerly taking a Jon fight for the belt after a bad loss and over 3 years of doing absolutely nothing?). We all know the story about how much of a waste of time this bout this. If this was boxing, Dana and Jon would be getting crucified for it every single day. It'd be like Canelo demanding a fight with some old washup and refusing to fight David Benavidez.

Dana said the fight makes sense because both fighters want it. What about the fans? I get that we don't matter for shit because of the ESPN deal , but I can't remember such widespread condemnation for a fight on the horizon. Dana pretending that there's widespread enthusiasm is such a freaking insult to our intelligence. I get that he's a lying scumbag, but at least have an iota of respect and gratitude for us.

If the Stipe fight is set in stone, the only way Jon can salvage something from the situation is if he wins, takes the microphone, and tells Aspinall that he'll see him soon.
I was a fan of Jones until the comedian butthole weird behavior. The man is done and if you are thinking you are getting another great run or he isn’t washed or rapidly approaching you can’t be serious. Dad bod Jones can’t possibly carry the weight of his own legacy. You are basically witnessing career wise the point Fedor went to Strikeforce and was battered consistently. To fans of old Jon we truly don’t care about thi “victory lap”. I expect the haters get what they wanted badly. Terrible losses

It doesn't matter. It's his retirement fight. You just gotta accept the GOAT of MMA might just be a terrible shitty human being.

Never heard people call Mike Perry a shitty human being?

Nah, people will read the record 20 years from now and see Stipe's name there and be all like "noice"

People here read actual active fighters records right now and still misconstrue what happened 8 months ago.

i mean, i don't really know how good Jon is anymore. his only fight in HW was like 30secs and had no resistance. it's not like i think Stipe is still a world beater, i'm more thinking that for all we know Jon could've fell off a cliff and that's why he keeps stalling. i would've never thought someone like Dominick Reyes would've nearly beaten him either but there it was lol

MMA has so many factors i can't count anyone all the way out.

True, but I don't think Jon...at this point in his career, would take an opponent that he wasn't pretty sure he could beat.

I think that's why he's avoiding cats like Aspinall.
That's why I believe the UFC made this matchup against "the UFC heavyweight GOAT"....so Jon can walk away with some bullshit win acting like he beat King Kong sir lol.

Back