Favorite PRIDEFC tourney

Which was your favorite GP tournament,old heads??

• Total voters

HHJ

Unimpressed Jiri
@plutonium
Reaction score
Everyone knows only the toughest of the tough,the legends, the immortals can survive the six month four fight death tournament to become lord and master of the lands and seas.

ALL ROADS LEAD TO SAITAMA, BITCH

so pick yor favorite one,and why.

s-l1200.jpg

228246.jpgs-l1200 (1)sss.jpg
shogun2titles_original.jpg

s-l1200 (1)sw.jpg
60588ce49800720eb60af4f8a62075c1.jpg
d6df1dcc9edfd93b4b96b7e58d9337f4.jpg

Attachments

• D-JCB_2UYAEuYhA.png
    D-JCB_2UYAEuYhA.png
    477 KB · Views: 4
Most cited is probably 2005, and I get it, but as an old school NHB/OW guy, 2000 is the GOAT GP for me. That field was insane for the time, and we got a unique legendary moment/situation, in and of itself, in a 90 min chess match between Saku and Royce, that we may never see anything like again.

Gomi's run through Kawajiri, Azeredo and Sakurai does it for me.

Gomi is my favourite fighter of all time. He beat the shit out of Kawajiri, who was considered to be his biggest Japanese rival and challenge in the whole division at the time.

Then winning the rematch with Azeredo, who fought like a fucking nutcase.

Then capping it off with him beating an all time great in the final in Sakurai, by one punch KO. Beautiful.

Shogun's is probably objectively the best, but it comes a close 2nd for me.

OMG @HHJ this is like asking which of your children you love the most.

I love them all but the 2003 Middleweight tourney might be my favorite. Chuck vs Overeem was a classic, Chuck vs Rampage with Dana on commentary, Wanderlei vs Yoshida, and Wanderlei vs Rampage with Randy Couture on commentary and Wanderlei delivering 18 knees to Rampage before the ref finally calls it. Confetti drops, Wand jumps on the turnbuckle and flexes and is crowned Champ Champ.

OMG @HHJ this is like asking which of your children you love the most.

I love them all but the 2003 Middleweight tourney might be my favorite. Chuck vs Overeem was a classic, Chuck vs Rampage with Dana on commentary, Wanderlei vs Yoshida, and Wanderlei vs Rampage with Randy Couture on commentary and Wanderlei delivering 18 knees to Rampage before the ref finally calls it. Confetti drops, Wand jumps on the turnbuckle and flexes and is crowned Champ Champ.

I liked the 2004 one the best cos Fedor won it and that was the one I was the most emotionally invested in. But ALL of them had HIGH DRAMA (in Saitama)

Its rare to have stakes so high in MMA. I feel since Conor/Khabib we havent had such high stakes. One day it will happen again of course.

Gomi's run through Kawajiri, Azeredo and Sakurai does it for me.

Gomi is my favourite fighter of all time. He beat the shit out of Kawajiri, who was considered to be his biggest Japanese rival and challenge in the whole division at the time.

Then winning the rematch with Azeredo, who fought like a fucking nutcase.

Then capping it off with him beating an all time great in the final in Sakurai, by one punch KO. Beautiful.

Shogun's is probably objectively the best, but it comes a close 2nd for me.
Unfortunatley the big finale w Sakurai was a bit of an anticlimax because Sakurai was clearly beat up and injured. Still, cant take it away from Gomi. He fuckin shed blood to be there and he probably would have beaten Mach even if he was healthy. Sakurai too put on some career best performances.

All were amazing and memorable. I’m going with ‘05, 205lbs. The Chute Box/BTT rivalry at its best. Arona surprising Wanderlei, Shogun avenging that loss.

All were amazing and memorable. I’m going with ‘05, 205lbs. The Chute Box/BTT rivalry at its best. Arona surprising Wanderlei, Shogun avenging that loss.
It was like a fuckin movie bro.

Wow, what a hard topic to actually rank. All of PRIDE's tournaments were so special, each one when it was happening felt so damn epic at the time.

1. 2006 OWGP. I have family history with Mirko, my dad having trained with him in the early, early days makes me biased. Plus, right before the finals, I got to watch Shogun stomp Cyrille Diabate's head in, which is the fight that still makes me long for head stomps again.

2. Close second is 2005 205 GP. Shogun went on and absolute killers run, beating Rampage, Lil Nog, Overeem, and Arona all in a row and made me a fan for life.

3. Close tie between 2000 GP and 2004 HW for their historical significance.

Wow, what a hard topic to actually rank. All of PRIDE's tournaments were so special, each one when it was happening felt so damn epic at the time.

1. 2006 OWGP. I have family history with Mirko, my dad having trained with him in the early, early days makes me biased. Plus, right before the finals, I got to watch Shogun stomp Cyrille Diabate's head in, which is the fight that still makes me long for head stomps again.

2. Close second is 2005 205 GP. Shogun went on and absolute killers run, beating Rampage, Lil Nog, Overeem, and Arona all in a row and made me a fan for life.

3. Close tie between 2000 GP and 2004 HW for their historical significance.
Your dad trained with Mirko Tiger! awesome

Back