Fight Business Podcast: Is Fury vs. Ngannou good or bad for combat sports?

It's very good for Fury and N'Gannou but ultimately bad for boxing and combat sports. I think it de-legitimizes both sports in a way, N'Gannou arguably the best or one of the best MMA heavyweights fighting arguably the best HW boxer with zero boxing experience for a big pay day. Meanwhile Fury is actively discrediting and avoiding Usyk who is his most deserved opponent and an undefeated champion in his own right, also at 36 the clock is ticking for Usyk. It's just stupid shit but if it makes cents it makes sense.

I don't think it is good or bad, it is just a novelty fight. These have always existed and always will. They are also forgotten quickly. I can't think of one example where people afterwards thought it was good idea in hindsight.

Well if what we are believing what Ngannou and his manager says is true and it’s a real Boxing match, than good for him for getting paid and angling for a big time fight.

However, if the rumors are true about it being an exhibition with special rules in place, then I don’t care about seeing any sparring match. It’s in the leagues with Paul/Diaz.

I’m just interested how they even plan to market this fight with a guy who hasn’t fought in a year and a half, former champion and no sort of highlight reel to entice the casual market. “Go look him up on YouTube” doesn’t have a nice ring to it.

Bad for boxing: holds up the HW division, and makes the sport look a bit farsical.

Good mma: Francis showed a fighter not sign himself away for less than his worth. Also, any buzz about combat sports is good for the UFC. Brings in a few casuals.

It’s great in that someone stood up to Dana
dana-white.gif

Well if what we are believing what Ngannou and his manager says is true and it’s a real Boxing match, than good for him for getting paid and angling for a big time fight.

However, if the rumors are true about it being an exhibition with special rules in place, then I don’t care about seeing any sparring match. It’s in the leagues with Paul/Diaz.

I’m just interested how they even plan to market this fight with a guy who hasn’t fought in a year and a half, former champion and no sort of highlight reel to entice the casual market. “Go look him up on YouTube” doesn’t have a nice ring to it.
Mayweather vs Logan Paul was 100% an exhibition, yet it sold an arena and a PPV, sure hardcores would say "not interested in sparring match" but this thing are for the masses, they are aiming at making money with an event, whatever the event is.

Love a fun circus fight, which this is... But I wont pay a lot. So I will pass.

Do not like either of them as people.. don't care for them, nor care about Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg as people but a little more likely to pay for these noobs as may be more funny.

Last edited:
This idea that people from two different sports need to compete is asinine to me.

Do tennis players need to play badminton players to figure out who is really the best racquet sport person?

How about cyclists vs Nascar?
Who wins going downhill?
With right turns...

Shit is stupid.

It’s bad for both, long term. Makes both sports look bad.

It’s good for mma fighters. There’s a wedge in the door now. Ngannou is going to get paid the kind of money having a big name in combat sports should.
It’s good for Nagannou’s wallet, but not for anyone else.

Just because Francis, a ufc champ at the time of his free agency, was able to negotiate a fight like this, doesn’t mean anyone else will. This isn’t opening doors for anyone else.
Also helps that the heavyweight boxing champ was desperate to duck the other hw boxing champ

Just because Francis, a ufc champ at the time of his free agency, was able to negotiate a fight like this, doesn’t mean anyone else will. This isn’t opening doors for anyone else.
Also helps that the heavyweight boxing champ was desperate to duck the other hw boxing champ
<Dany07>
<[analyzed}>

The problem isn't that it is bad for boxing or MMA, but that it is taken as boxing or MMA.

Exhibition boxing, circus fights are not MMA nor boxing like pro-wrestling is not wrestling.

boxing fans arent interested and neither are mma fans. nobody gives a shit about this fight except some dumb saudis with too much money.

at least, being 40, my generation didn't spread puberty blockers to young boys, and didn't have an overwhelming number of men 'transition' into 'women'. Lol. And I got beat with a belt, which is why I am a respectful individual, strong, and value great attributes in self and others. cheers.

Turns out a huge part of society wants the option to not become you. The future is only going to get rougher for you.

a huge part of society also eats mcdonalds. :)

Does that make you feel better? If so, you should remember that next time you're mournfully whining about spanking and trying to convince people you're strong and have great values.

Back